Blame Tony-Not BC for imbalanced attack

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's the part I don't get. Presumably, you audible out of the run when you see one or both safeties cheating down into the box. But he also wasn't throwing it deep all night, suggesting the Giants were guarding deep. I don't see how both things can be true simultaneously.
If anybody says the play-calling looked the same, they obvously weren't watching.

Murray caught 8 passes out of the backfield, not simply a check-down. They ran the screen to Harris 3 times. Dallas employed the quick slant more. Romo completed 70 percent of his passes...

And DM ran the ball 20 times, for a 4.3 YPC... That is a lot in today's game. Look how much Lynch ran last night.
Completing 70% of your passes isn't great when you're getting 5 yards an attempt. And 20 rushes isn't a lot when you run 78 offensive plays. I feel that they either should have been running more or throwing downfield more.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Someone commented a while back that you dont see that when Orton is in the game - Although we have not really seen a whole lot of Orton and cant assume that he would be given the same authority to change things up as Tony has.

But why is it so difficult that it has affected almost every player from time to time ?

Yup, that's the nagging question for me too. Someone made a really important point the other day. The no-huddle offense is in vogue right now and everyone is trying to run some version of it. But getting up the line quickly is only a small part of running a successful no-huddle. But its the point that everyone focuses on -- Team A is running plays every X seconds, compared to Team B running a play every Y seconds. But the execution has to be there was well, meaning everyone on that offense has to have a clear idea of what they're supposed to do. Otherwise, getting up to the line in ten seconds or so is a whole lot less impactful.

I'll be very curious to see Philly's no huddle tonight. As fast as Chip Kelly was running plays at Oregon, the thing that most impressed me was how coordinated everything was. That tells me he has devised an incredibly simple no-huddle system as well. I'm not feeling that with ours.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Romo handed off the ball to backs 21 times, exactly the same number as Peyton Manning did this week. Jerry did say he wanted Romo to manage the game more like Peyton Manning, did he not?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Here's the part I don't get. Presumably, you audible out of the run when you see one or both safeties cheating down into the box. But he also wasn't throwing it deep all night, suggesting the Giants were guarding deep. I don't see how both things can be true simultaneously.
Completing 70% of your passes isn't great when you're getting 5 yards an attempt. And 20 rushes isn't a lot when you run 78 offensive plays. I feel that they either should have been running more or throwing downfield more.

The problem is 3 out of 4 run plays were not good gainers 3 or more yards. Murray had a lot of 3-4 yard gains and a lot of 2 yard or less gains. The short passing helped keep the pressure off and that is all the defense was giving. If the right side of the line could block better we would have done much better, NY did not fear our running game. Murrays longest run was 15 yards?

superonyx

Reaction score
When watching the game last night I can't remember that many times when I thought that we should be running the ball more. I love the running game in the NFL and am not a pass happy type. However, I still have not seen enough for me to say we have improved all that much in the running game (based on only last night of course).

Also when you average less than 4 yards per run I don't really feel that I should be very unhappy that I missed the chance to see some more 3.8 yard runs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I personally think all the audible play changing just creates too much confusion which results in penalties and/or busted plays/routes.

It's obvious it does but the homers still support it.

I'm a fan of audibling buy I'm also a fan of getting to the LOS and not giving the D a chance to get set.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Can they just get to the line and run a damn play once in awhile?
I think this is because Romo doesn't fully trust his o-line in front of him. I thought the o-line was better than last year, especially up the middle. But it is still inconsistent and Romo gets injured yet again.

Hopefully Waters can finally stabilize the line, allowing Romo to throw downfield more.

Oh my. If Romo still has trouble with trusting his oline than he needs to start seeing a shrink. EVERY QB in the game gets hit. Yes, even the ultra athletic Colin Kapernick with all those first rounders in front of him gets sacked as he did yesterday-TWICE.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think this is because Romo doesn't fully trust his o-line in front of him. I thought the o-line was better than last year, especially up the middle. But it is still inconsistent and Romo gets injured yet again.

Hopefully Waters can finally stabilize the line, allowing Romo to throw downfield more.

Maybe if they move Romo around a bit rather than stand there like a statue that wouldn't have happened. The oline wasn't the problem last night. Its Romo holding the ball too long and just sitting back there as though he has all the time in the world.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Ummm, can I state a couple obvious things here?

1) When you have the lead the ENTIRE GAME you want the play clock to run down on every snap. Duh.

2) Romo played the second half with bruised ribs and jacked-up-itis.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have always felt as if Tony was too in love with throwing the ball and not committed to the run enough. I think it's critical that we do stay with the run, especially now that we have Waters stepping in soon. We have a good enough OL to force our will on opposing teams IMO. We just need to stay as healthy as we can. Running the football would help that. Would also shorten the game, which we are going to need to save our own DL. We need to really help try and keep those guys off the field.

superonyx

Reaction score
Maybe if they move Romo around a bit rather than stand there like a statue that wouldn't have happened. The oline wasn't the problem last night. Its Romo holding the ball too long and just sitting back there as though he has all the time in the world.

Oh I see now. Romo forces the ball and gets intercepted and he is the problem. Romo holds the ball and takes a whopping 2 sacks and he is the problem. Romo calling audibles and we have 0 delay of game penalties and he is the problem. Romo completes 70 percent of his passes and he is the problem.

So to summarize.......romo is always the problem under every scenario...I get it now.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't get why people think Romo is at fault for not looking deep, when the playbook by design is to look deep. The problem, over the past few years, is precisely with Garrett's playbook using long-developing vertical routes. This contributed alot to the OL problems of yester-years. Even if one goes more, the issue of vertical routes will still be there and Romo has to buy time on his feet to let the WRs get open.

I think one ca argue we should see more bootlegs and the like, which utilize Romo's ability to make plays on his feet, but again, that's a play design type of thing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's obvious it does but the homers still support it.

I'm a fan of audibling buy I'm also a fan of getting to the LOS and not giving the D a chance to get set.

Brady is the best at this. When he gets to the line, the ball's getting hiked. Keeps the defense confused.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Oh I see now. Romo forces the ball and gets intercepted and he is the problem. Romo holds the ball and takes a whopping 2 sacks and he is the problem. Romo calling audibles and we have 0 delay of game penalties and he is the problem. Romo completes 70 percent of his passes and he is the problem.

So to summarize.......romo is always the problem under every scenario...I get it now.

If Romo had Eli's game - 450 yards and 4 TDs but 3 picks and a loss - the usual suspects would be defecating all over him saying same old loser Romo padding his stats playing catch up but failing when it counted.

Rick_Deckard

luvtheboys
Reaction score
Couple of things.

1. The clock was ticking down to the last seconds again. I thought that was going to be fixed. So who is responsible for this?

I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that early in the game they were snapping the ball with time on the play clock. Only late in the game when they were trying to milk the clock were they consistently waiting until the last second. I had no problem with their clock management.

Gameover

Reaction score
I don't know if its Tony or if its the receivers but something just isn't right.

sbark

Reaction score
I have always felt as if Tony was too in love with throwing the ball and not committed to the run enough. I think it's critical that we do stay with the run, especially now that we have Waters stepping in soon. We have a good enough OL to force our will on opposing teams IMO. We just need to stay as healthy as we can. Running the football would help that. Would also shorten the game, which we are going to need to save our own DL. We need to really help try and keep those guys off the field.

.........so as Bill Parcels stated to the effect of.......Romo wants to stray off the reservation too often

Staubacher

Reaction score
I don't know if its Tony or if its the receivers but something just isn't right.

Yeah 30% of passes incomplete. Awful. TWilliams first game. Inexcusable. Romo crippled in the 2nd half he sucks.

khiladi

Reaction score
Brady is the best at this. When he gets to the line, the ball's getting hiked. Keeps the defense confused.

Doesn't matter if they are confused or not, Brady has the best interior line in the league.. The guy can sit in the pocket all day...

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if they are confused or not, Brady has the best interior line in the league.. The guy can sit in the pocket all day...

Funny that I was watching the NFL channel last night and they were making remarks about how Brady was getting rushed up the middle and he was having trouble stepping up in the pocket.

Just an observation.