Bledsoe's Back Tightens Up?

TroyEmmittAndMichael

Reaction score
I'm just as displeased with Bledsoe's performance as anyone else here, but I'm not ready to throw the towel in on him just yet. If Romo plays, it will have to be because Bledsoe is injured or somehow morphed into a combo of QC, vinny, and hutch.

Which brings me to my point. Many of us were wondering how Bledsoe went from being so accurate in the 1st qtr to spastic the rest of the game. Spagnola blogs that Bledsoe's back may have tightened up on him. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of those who were just as befuddled as I was.

"...Bledsoe, for his part, took responsibility that time in the second quarter for missing Owens, who, you know, is rather remarkable, finishing with six catches for 80 yards and one 21-yard touchdown on a remarkable last-second adjustment on a ball thrown over the wrong shoulder after limited practice all summer. He took responsibility for leading Witten instead of "stopping" him on that pass intercepted by Mathis, and the same for missing the linebacker on the intercepted pass intended for Glenn.

But what Bledsoe wasn't saying was that there was something wrong. Give Fox analyst Troy Aikman credit for presuming Bledsoe's back had tightened up, and this in weather where nothing should have tightened up, believe me, unless cramping from dehydration. Bledsoe kept stretching his back on the sideline.

And in the second half, while on the sideline between series, Bledsoe on several occasions kept throwing in the bench area, the last time to Owens, seemingly trying to stay loose.

No one said anything afterward. But something seemed odd.

And really, you could tell. The 34-year-old quarterback seemingly was having to put a little more oomph in his throws to get them out there on the edge, along with every bit of strength to nail Glenn with that 51-yarder late in the fourth quarter to draw the Cowboys close enough to cut the deficit to seven.

When asked just before he left the locker room if his back or something had tightened up there, especially in the second half, or if something was wrong, Bledsoe, without looking up begrudgingly said, "Yeah."

Ah-ha.

But, thinking better of it, he walked off saying, "It's nothing."
Maybe it's not. But there were several curious throws in this game. For a guy who was razor sharp all through preseason, he left you wondering, didn't he, what the hell is going on out there? Hey, you don't get old in one quarter.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?editorialAuthor=1&id=9B40720D-C1A1-D6E8-339C3DF263F9EA55

If he's healthy, I say play Bledsoe, but if he's not, then play Romo.

JMead

Reaction score
That kinda humidity can do bad things to you. I am surprised noone came up with leg cramps.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
The humidity killed us. Well it killed us after our offense kept putting our defense out there. We got outpossessed 35min - 25 minutes today. Not good in a hot game like that.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I don't buy the weather thing.... but having said that there was something obviously wrong with Bledsoe...I mean besides the usual ;)

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly, Drew was not right. But we still see the same darn things we've seen from him for awhile now. If he gets rushed, he just does not see the field. Lets face the facts, he's going to get rushed. I will give him another game, but that's it, then it's Romo time.

If we finish the year well, we can just add some more pieces next draft. If we finish poorly we spend our high draft pick on a QB and the rest on OL.

JMead

Reaction score
noshame said:
Clearly, Drew was not right. But we still see the same darn things we've seen from him for awhile now. If he gets rushed, he just does not see the field. Lets face the facts, he's going to get rushed. I will give him another game, but that's it, then it's Romo time.

If we finish the year well, we can just add some more pieces next draft. If we finish poorly we spend our high draft pick on a QB and the rest on OL.

The only facts I know is Dallas will not win more than 5 games with Romo and Bledsoe had an 88 QB Rating against blitz last year. The humidity most definately had something to do with his play. Bledsoe's passes went from having zip to floating like a butterfly.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the blog.

Yeah, I don't remember Bledsoe having played so poorly before/ He's made some bad decisions before and has struggled under a pass rush, but his accuracy was off today and that usually isn't a problem.

If there was something wrong with him, I wish he'd have said something to the coaches about it.

"Gutting it up" is one thing, hurting your team while you play hurt is another.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
By the end of the 3rd quarter it was obvious that Bledsoe wasn't right, he was stretching and throwing the ball on the sidelines anytime the defense was on the field. I was fully expecting to see Romo come in at that point and was getting angrier by the minute every time Bledsoe came back out for another series.

Parcells is famous for the excuse of "he gives us the the best chance to win" but I have NEVER bought that junk. The reality is that he is the guy Bill is most comfortable with.

Bledsoe was hurrying his throws, not stepping through his passes, and was under a lot of pressure (thanks to the swinging gate at LT named Adams). It was painfully obvious that he was not able to throw accurately and it was time to put Romo in.

I wasn;t calling for Romo to replace Bledsoe for the rest of the season just for the rest of the game.

Stupid Parcells!:bang2:

TroyEmmittAndMichael

Reaction score
Last year, Bledsoe was healthy all year long. It's been clearly documented how many starts Bledsoe has and how many complete seasons he has played.

However, given the wicked hit he took in the preseason against minnesota and now his tighten back, Bledsoe's days as a reliable workhorse may be on the decline. It's little things like these that add up especially since Bledsoe is 34/35 yrs old.

Who knows, maybe the early bye week is a good thing for us after all.

But if Bledsoe continues to play poorly or show ill effects from his injuries, we definitely need to put Romo in there, Super Bowl or not.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
JMead said:
The only facts I know is Dallas will not win more than 5 games with Romo and Bledsoe had an 88 QB Rating against blitz last year. The humidity most definately had something to do with his play. Bledsoe's passes went from having zip to floating like a butterfly.
You KNOW this? It is a Fact that we will not win more than 5 games with Romo?

How about you state an opinion as just that and not try to pass it off as a known fact. The Fact is that no one here knows anything about what will happen if we play Romo.

The only thing we know is that we cannot win if things continue as they did Sunday.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
That kinda humidity can do bad things to you. I am surprised noone came up with leg cramps.

(Bledsoe) She had cramps alright but it wasnt in her legs, if you get my drift.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Injury or not, I just can't get that second int. out of my head, he just didn't see the defender inside, and was locking onto his targets all day.

Any of you who have watched good QB's get old over the years know the symptoms. You have seen it before. Maybe it's still the effect from the head shot, we can only hope.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well his back may have been tightening up, but it was his brain that needed the massage due to all of the braincramps he had.

sbark

Reaction score
Is it medically possible for a constriction in ones throat to move down into the lower back area.........dont they make plecebo's for that

CalMor

Reaction score
TroyEmmittAndMichael said:
When asked just before he left the locker room if his back or something had tightened up there, especially in the second half, or if something was wrong, Bledsoe, without looking up begrudgingly said, "Yeah."

Ah-ha.

But, thinking better of it, he walked off saying, "It's nothing."
Maybe it's not. But there were several curious throws in this game. For a guy who was razor sharp all through preseason, he left you wondering, didn't he, what the hell is going on out there? Hey, you don't get old in one quarter.

This sounds Redskinish!! Excuses? We lost and thats it!

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy, Emmitt, And Michael =TEAM

Ooh, good one. Surprisingly, I never thought of that one.

As far as Bledsoe, he's so afraid of losing his job to Romo that he might jeopardize the whole team by refusing to admit that something is ailing him. We had a chance to outright plummet Jax at Jax. Way too many missed opportunities on both O and D.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Bledsoe was horrible the entire game. Even some of the big plays that were made in the passing game were extremely poor throws that the recievers made the play on. The TD pass to Owens, the 50+ yarder to Glenn. They were terrible. Bledsoe should not have been in the game. There was no way Parcells was going to pull Bledsoe though. That would have shot the media into a frenzy if he had pulled Bledsoe and put Romo in. I think Bledsoe should have pulled himself. While Bledsoe (((ONLY))) threw three INTs, it easly could have been 7+. Bledsoe's play was an absolute debacle. I rank it right up there with whats going on with Brett Farve in Green Bay. There is a time when a man knows he can't help the team and needs to step down. It's Brett's time in Green Bay. Last night, Bledsoe should have stepped down. Not from the Cowboys all together, just from the game. Brett Farve needs to step down from Green Bay all together.

As for Dallas' defense. In the beginning of the game they were aggressive, after they went up 10-0 it seem like they switched to playing not to lose. They lost the aggressiveness and started playing to prevent scoring rather than preventing the offense from moving at all.

Rector looked like he had stage fright in the return game. Hopefully it is only for that game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc said:
Bledsoe was horrible the entire game. Even some of the big plays that were made in the passing game were extremely poor throws that the recievers made the play on. The TD pass to Owens, the 50+ yarder to Glenn. They were terrible. Bledsoe should not have been in the game. There was no way Parcells was going to pull Bledsoe though. That would have shot the media into a frenzy if he had pulled Bledsoe and put Romo in. I think Bledsoe should have pulled himself. While Bledsoe (((ONLY))) threw three INTs, it easly could have been 7+. Bledsoe's play was an absolute debacle. I rank it right up there with whats going on with Brett Farve in Green Bay. There is a time when a man knows he can't help the team and needs to step down. It's Brett's time in Green Bay. Last night, Bledsoe should have stepped down. Not from the Cowboys all together, just from the game. Brett Farve needs to step down from Green Bay all together.

As for Dallas' defense. In the beginning of the game they were aggressive, after they went up 10-0 it seem like they switched to playing not to lose. They lost the aggressiveness and started playing to prevent scoring rather than preventing the offense from moving at all.

Rector looked like he had stage fright in the return game. Hopefully it is only for that game.

This is a total waste of a thread. Dallas is not going to pull Bledsoe out just to make some silly ars fan happy or at the 1st sign of trouble. Some of you guys just can't help but go overboard.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
This is a total waste of a thread. Dallas is not going to pull Bledsoe out just to make some silly ars fan happy or at the 1st sign of trouble. Some of you guys just can't help but go overboard.
What are you talking about? Who went overboard? Did you watch the game? Did I say release Bledsoe? If anyone went overboard it was you and your response to my post. Obviously something was wrong last night with Bledsoe and he SHOULD NOT have been in the game. I didn't say Parcells should have pulled him, I said he should have pulled himself.

The first (3) dropped interceptions would have been the first (3) signs. The first actually interception would have been the 4th sign. Then their were 2 more interceptions and at least one other "should have been an interception".

You my friend, are the one going overboard. Not about the Cowboys, but about your criticism of other posters. This is what we are here to do, if that bothers you... Well. ;)