Blindside Block?

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure an offensive player is not allowed to come back towards the LOS and blindside block a defender. What I didn't know is that it applied to offensive lineman behind the LOS. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. But I'd have to look at the written rule.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure an offensive player is not allowed to come back towards the LOS and blindside block a defender. What I didn't know is that it applied to offensive lineman behind the LOS. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. But I'd have to look at the written rule.

They modified the rule this offseason.

Penalty: For a crackback block: Loss of 15 yards.
ARTICLE 7. BLINDSIDE BLOCK. It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and
makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.
Note: A player may initiate forcible contact in an area between the offensive tackles and three yards on either side of the
line of scrimmage (until the ball leaves that area), but is still subject to the restrictions for crackback and “peel back”
blocks.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
They modified the rule this offseason.

Penalty: For a crackback block: Loss of 15 yards.
ARTICLE 7. BLINDSIDE BLOCK. It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and
makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.
Note: A player may initiate forcible contact in an area between the offensive tackles and three yards on either side of the
line of scrimmage (until the ball leaves that area), but is still subject to the restrictions for crackback and “peel back”
blocks.
Good to know. That still didn't look like it fit the rule. That was a pretty weak call.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Good to know. That still didn't look like it fit the rule. That was a pretty weak call.

It seems that in recent years that when the league decides to put an emphasis on a particular rule they tend to go overboard in the pre-season and early regular season games. They then tend to get more lax as the season progresses. Also the teams/players adjust to the new rules/interpretations, which leads to fewer calls.