Blocking a field goal at the goal post

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
You used to see this in old games from about the 60s. A team would try a field goal, and the opposing team would keep one player back at the goal post who would attempt to jump up and block the ball from going through. It was possible to block the field goal if the ball was coming in low. I haven't seen anyone try this in ages. I THINK the league may have made it illegal, but I'm not sure. Maybe it just fell out of fashion because so many kicks come in way too high to block that way.

Anyone know? Did they ban this practice?

erod

Reaction score
Not sure if football goaltending is legal anymore, but it would be awesome if it is.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
You used to see this in old games from about the 60s. A team would try a field goal, and the opposing team would keep one player back at the goal post who would attempt to jump up and block the ball from going through. It was possible to block the field goal if the ball was coming in low. I haven't seen anyone try this in ages. I THINK the league may have made it illegal, but I'm not sure. Maybe it just fell out of fashion because so many kicks come in way too high to block that way.

Anyone know? Did they ban this practice?
— Goaltending is against the rules in football, not just basketball: A player who jumps up and touches a ball as it is about to go through the goal posts in an attempt to block a field goal is flagged for goaltending, a 15-yard penalty. This came up when 49ers kicker David Akers hit the crossbar with his record-tying 63-yard field goal, and Packers receiver Randall Cobb jumped up and just missed knocking the ball away.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/nfl-details-key-officiating-issues-from-week-one/

John813

Reaction score
Would of been cool to see. Especially with some freak athlete like Megatron back there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
— Goaltending is against the rules in football, not just basketball: A player who jumps up and touches a ball as it is about to go through the goal posts in an attempt to block a field goal is flagged for goaltending, a 15-yard penalty. This came up when 49ers kicker David Akers hit the crossbar with his record-tying 63-yard field goal, and Packers receiver Randall Cobb jumped up and just missed knocking the ball away.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/nfl-details-key-officiating-issues-from-week-one/

I don't think it should be in football. With all the rule changes making kicking more dull, that's one that would be fun to bring back.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
tenor.gif