Blocking TE or OL

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Since the TEs suck at blocking why are they not using an extra O-lineman? These TEs are not about much at catching either so I would use O-linemen on running and passing downs. I don’t think we lose much by the TEs not being on the field and I think would gain some advantage.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
So you’re saying Connor Williams at Te since ours don’t catch passes anyways And he looks like one

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Probably would be pretty good. If they don’t want to move Williams then Fleming or whoever.

It would work better if Fred can come back. Backfill Looney at LG, then move Williams to "blocking TE". I trust Looney to play decently at LG.

2016 I was really hoping to get both Leary and Collins on the field at the same time. Both of them were too good for either to be on the bench. Line up Collins as blocking TE. Or a FB. Just get them all on the field and let's see some real smashmouth football!

Collins is a weird one. His style of play seems a little off for both G and T. But he works in my head as a monster FB. He's a guy who delivers a blow in space.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It would work better if Fred can come back. Backfill Looney at LG, then move Williams to "blocking TE". I trust Looney to play decently at LG.

2016 I was really hoping to get both Leary and Collins on the field at the same time. Both of them were too good for either to be on the bench. Line up Collins as blocking TE. Or a FB. Just get them all on the field and let's see some real smashmouth football!

Collins is a weird one. His style of play seems a little off for both G and T. But he works in my head as a monster FB. He's a guy who delivers a blow in space.

I keep thinking Collins struggles at RT because he’s a lefty...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's been done before, but rarely. I wouldn't mind seeing a guard line up as the TE, but they gor to tell the refs he's eligable.

conner01

Reaction score
Short yardage situation that’s fine but you need the threat, how ever big that threat is, of the TE running a route most of the time

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
In his press conference Garrett said we were a 1 te team featuring witten and we're trying to be the same w swaim.

He didn't elaborate that swaim has poor stats as a receiver for his career and has below avg blocking skills against good defenses like his predecessor in his last 5 or 6 years.

Jw was a starting Te who offered something to our short passing game w his good hands and first downs when he was in his prime. He could make enough big plays to get 8 TDS a year.

In his last 5-6 years his big play abilities dwindled to 3 plays over 20 yards and 4 TDS a year. He wasn't enough firepower to warrant playing every snap being the feature long after his prime.

Swaim will never be the washed up shell of the great Jw much less the player he was in his prime. Garrett is basically giving Swaim the role as a featured receiver playing every passing snap like Witten. If so swaim is gonna have to break out as a receiver like Witten in his prime if he's gonna dominate all the passing snaps.

I think he's too inexperienced to overcome playing on all the Grueling running and special team snaps and also succeeding as a receiver in a predictable anchored formation. He can't play outside, play deep or score so he's limited being effective as an every down receiver imo

I guess well see how great he is on Sunday and see if he shows up in the stat column but I won't be watching a Swaim featured offense this week. I'm going to tune in to the radio until we get some coaches who know what their doing.

He's the last guy I want to watch being featured and it looks like he's gonna get the nod all year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since the TEs suck at blocking why are they not using an extra O-lineman? These TEs are not about much at catching either so I would use O-linemen on running and passing downs. I don’t think we lose much by the TEs not being on the field and I think would gain some advantage.

1. It's just fans claiming the TEs struggled to block. They've had many good blocks but most fans/media don't really study the game footage. People see 1 bad block and assume the player can't block.

2. They use the TEs in many ways not just as inline blockers. Even the best OL are hit/miss in open field blocking. Even mediocre TEs tend to be better in the open field. The TEs run about 4.7 forties. Fleming runs about a 5.3 forty or slower.

3. Having an OL in place of the TE takes away the offenses ability to use the TE as a receiver.

4. The Cowboys preferred OL for this type of blocking is Joe Looney. He is busy playing Center now.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
No.

I heard Mikey say the other day they should start Schultz and let him play.

I agree.

He needs to play and not get buried in the Cowboys indecision machine.

This team is completely anemic in developing the posution.

They took 15 years to prepare Witten's backup and COMPLETELY failed.

How do you think other teams do it?

We can not spend another 1st rd. pick next year to do it.

If he is good enough to select him..

play him.

Let's see what happens.

I am bored to death with this pecking order due to years with the team guys getting first crack.

Swain has been here 4 years already and he'a JAG.

Rico is the best TE we have.

Wide open for a TD and DAK overthrew it in the bleachers.

OMG

Move on already.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
No.

I heard Mikey say the other day they should start Schultz and let him play.

I agree.

He needs to play and not get buried in the Cowboys indecision machine.

This team is completely anemic in developing the posution.

They took 15 years to prepare Witten's backup and COMPLETELY failed.

How do you think other teams do it?

We can not spend another 1st rd. pick next year to do it.

If he is good enough to select him..

play him.

Let's see what happens.

I am bored to death with this pecking order due to years with the team guys getting first crack.

Swain has been here 4 years already and he'a JAG.

Rico is the best TE we have.

Wide open for a TD and DAK overthrew it in the bleachers.

OMG

Move on already.

Who is Mikey?

AbeBeta

Reaction score

That's a great idea. Opposing Ds won't figure that out until like 14:45 of the 1st quarter

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
That's a great idea. Opposing Ds won't figure that out until like 14:45 of the 1st quarter
I am not making things difficult for the D to figure out its basic simple football. I am going to play smash mouth and make you stop my stud running back behind my best blockers and when you bring your guys up into the box I am going to max protect with those guys and send a speedster to take the top off to keep you honest. Sometimes you get to cute trying to trick the D and you shoot yourself in the foot and get away from your strength.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In his press conference Garrett said we were a 1 te team featuring witten and we're trying to be the same w swaim.

"Next man up! We're incapable of adjusting to the personnel we actually have available."

Garrett is such a tool. That he can say such things with a straight face in public shows how screwed we are with him. He has no idea how clueless he is.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We used Looney that way the past couple of years but only on short yardage, usually goal line situations. The way we value the TE it will never happen. Personally I would use Rico more in red zone situations and stop screwing around with the O-line by throwing G's or T's out there as TE's except in short yardage. What do I know

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Hopefully, Rico may eventually be able to figure out his blocking assignments enough to make it work.

He's likely got the size and strength to get the job done but perhaps it's just his head that's to blame.

Last edited: