Bluestang's Quick Takes on Week 1

Bluestang

Reaction score
As the thread title says:

- 41 of 75 snaps in 2 TE and 3 TE sets. For all those people expecting traditional TE formations you are not looking close enough. Pay attention to the numbers on the jerseys when they line up because Dallas is lining up the second TE in spread look. Meaning, it may look like 3 wide but it's not.

- The offense looked like it's usual self to open the game, penalties in the enemy's territory and missed opportunities.

- Romo is doing the same things as last year and is changing plays at the LOS. Get used to it, and live with it. The playcalling was blamed on JG last year but the run/pass ratio had a real familiar look again and Romo was doing alot of "check with me calls" and hand signaling out there. The only way this is going to change is if Callahan and JG handcuff Romo and force him to run only one play.

- There is a significant change on defense. They kept Eli on the move early in the game and pressured him into mistakes. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. I think they wore down towards the end but we also played with a 17 pt lead close to the end of the 3rd qtr. The defensive TDs were great but I don't subscribe to the idea that if we didn't score them we would have lost. Unless the rules have changed the offense would have had the ball in great field position to put points on the board.

- If Williams and Escobar can get settled into their roles and play fast/smart the offense is going to be real good. We saw a taste of that with Williams in the game but Escobar had a so-so game. It's the first week so the arrow is still pointing up.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Escobar could have potentially scored on one of the drives, but his shoe came off I think?

Good write up, thanks.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Romo is doing the same things as last year and is changing plays at the LOS. Get used to it, and live with it. The playcalling was blamed on JG last year but the run/pass ratio had a real familiar look again and Romo was doing alot of "check with me calls" and hand signaling out there. The only way this is going to change is if Callahan and JG handcuff Romo and force him to run only one play.
I think this isn't appreciated enough. The playcalling and the offense are two different things. The offense hasn't changed, and it's designed for the QB to make decisions at the line and change plays as appopriate. Changing the playcaller doesn't change the nature of the offense much if any.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
As the thread title says:

- 41 of 75 snaps in 2 TE and 3 TE sets. For all those people expecting traditional TE formations you are not looking close enough. Pay attention to the numbers on the jerseys when they line up because Dallas is lining up the second TE in spread look. Meaning, it may look like 3 wide but it's not.

- The offense looked like it's usual self to open the game, penalties in the enemy's territory and missed opportunities.

- There is a significant change on defense. They kept Eli on the move early in the game and pressured him into mistakes. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. I think they wore down towards the end but we also played with a 17 pt lead close to the end of the 3rd qtr. The defensive TDs were great but I don't subscribe to the idea that if we didn't score them we would have lost. Unless the rules have changed the offense would have had the ball in great field position to put points on the board.

- If Williams and Escobar can get settled into their roles and play fast/smart the offense is going to be real good. We saw a taste of that with Williams in the game but Escobar had a so-so game. It's the first week so the arrow is still pointing up.

Considering the way the offense responded in the second half, I don't understand your point. As the game progressed they reverted back into the 3's instead of 7's.

I enjoyed the win, but it did take a miracle turn over at the end to preserve the win.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Considering the way the offense responded in the second half, I don't understand your point. As the game progressed they reverted back into the 3's instead of 7's.

I enjoyed the win, but it did take a miracle turn over at the end to preserve the win.

The offense scored 1 FG in the second half.

We had 2 defensive TDs in the second half, you are speculating that the offense would have settled for FGs instead of TDs. We simply don't know what would have happened if the offense had those opportunites to drive down the field.

If those two defensive TDs were just turnovers, we would have had the ball at the 27 yd line and 49 yd line = good field position. It's hard to say what would or wouldn't have happened and that's the point.

I recall the Giants being in a similar position last year when we almost beat them after giving them 6 turnovers.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The offense scored 1 FG in the second half.

We had 2 defensive TDs in the second half, you are speculating that the offense would have settled for FGs instead of TDs. We simply don't know what would have happened if the offense had those opportunites to drive down the field.

If those two defensive TDs were just turnovers, we would have had the ball at the 27 yd line and 49 yd line = good field position. It's hard to say what would or wouldn't have happened and that's the point.

I recall the Giants being in a similar position last year when we almost beat them after giving them 6 turnovers.

You also have to account for the fact that, if we just get those as turnovers and don't run them back, we are able to eat another significant chunk of time off the clock.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You also have to account for the fact that, if we just get those as turnovers and don't run them back, we are able to eat another significant chunk of time off the clock.

You bet.

Plus that "broken coverage" TD to Cruz was like a "gimmee" to the Giants.