Blurb on Ben Coates Coaching Dallas Tight Ends

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Second career

Former Patriot Ben Coates will serve as a tight ends coach for the Dallas Cowboys in training camp under the NFL's minority coaching internship program. Coates, who coached that position for the Rhein Fire of NFL Europe this season, hopes it will lead to a full-time position in the NFL. "[Cowboys offensive coordinator] Maurice Carthon called me and asked me if I'd be interested, and I jumped at it," said Coates. "It's a chance to reunite with a couple of coaches I know very well. It'll be great experience."

Coates was the offensive coordinator for alma mater Livingstone College in Salisbury, N.C., for the past three years, but resigned so he could devote time to NFL Europe and his pursuit of an NFL coaching career. Coates, who lived near Charlotte, N.C., was torn between the Panthers and Patriots in last season's Super Bowl, but in the end he wanted friend Troy Brown to get a second ring. "Troy's a good man," said Coates. "We've kept in touch. I still consider him one of my best friends. He's done a lot with his career."

Coates, who got a championship ring with the Baltimore Ravens, has been out of football as a player for four years. In a year, he'll be eligible for the Hall of Fame. "I'd love for it to happen," he said. "If it does, what an honor that would be. If it doesn't, well, I know it's a tough thing to get into." . .

From: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/07/11/it_doesnt_weigh_on_light/

There is a quite a bit of good football info in this Boston.com article. This is the source that first mentioned Chad Eaton has a tryout in Dallas.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Second career

Former Patriot Ben Coates will serve as a tight ends coach for the Dallas Cowboys in training camp under the NFL's minority coaching internship program. Coates, who coached that position for the Rhein Fire of NFL Europe this season, hopes it will lead to a full-time position in the NFL. "[Cowboys offensive coordinator] Maurice Carthon called me and asked me if I'd be interested, and I jumped at it," said Coates. "It's a chance to reunite with a couple of coaches I know very well. It'll be great experience."

Coates was the offensive coordinator for alma mater Livingstone College in Salisbury, N.C., for the past three years, but resigned so he could devote time to NFL Europe and his pursuit of an NFL coaching career. Coates, who lived near Charlotte, N.C., was torn between the Panthers and Patriots in last season's Super Bowl, but in the end he wanted friend Troy Brown to get a second ring. "Troy's a good man," said Coates. "We've kept in touch. I still consider him one of my best friends. He's done a lot with his career."

Coates, who got a championship ring with the Baltimore Ravens, has been out of football as a player for four years. In a year, he'll be eligible for the Hall of Fame. "I'd love for it to happen," he said. "If it does, what an honor that would be. If it doesn't, well, I know it's a tough thing to get into." . .

From: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/07/11/it_doesnt_weigh_on_light/

There is a quite a bit of good football info in this Boston.com article. This is the source that first mentioned Chad Eaton has a tryout in Dallas.

Good for Ben...always thought he was a heck of a player for the Pats with Bill.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Good for Ben...always thought he was a heck of a player for the Pats with Bill.
Will be interesting to see what he shows Witten, BP.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Will be interesting to see what he shows Witten, BP.

Agreed...I wonder if he can play the role that Ben played for Bill....of course at one time Ben and Drew was the offense. :D

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Agreed...I wonder if he can play the role that Ben played for Bill....of course at one time Ben and Drew was the offense. :D
That would be awesome, BP.

Coates was the true go-to receiver for Bledsoe, even in the SB year of 96.

It always looked to me like Tuna had two "favorite" positions. Linebacker, obviously on D. TE on O.

InParcellsWetrust

Reaction score
It never hurts to have to many Parcells guys come in and give these players the leg up they need to stay one ahead of there head coach