Bo Nix Train

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The weaknesses concern me way more than the strengths impress me.

Strengths​

• Good pre-snap recognition for expedited post-snap itinerary.
  • Big hands to manipulate defenses with aggressive pump fakes.
  • Shows ability to work through options and find what he likes.
  • Generates quality velocity from a sudden, compact release.
  • Ball comes out of his hand with good pace and without much effort.
  • Impressive run-and-rip talent throwing accurately on the move.
  • Play-extender with arm talent to win with secondary action as passer.
  • Internal clock and athleticism help him avoid sacks.
  • Toughness and talent to move the sticks on called runs.

Weaknesses​

• Nearly 30 percent of his passes in 2023 were thrown behind
  • Left easy touchdowns on the field due to overthro
  • the line of scrimmage, per Pro Football Focus.
  • Tends to short-arm throws when blitz is leaking in.
  • Decision-making can take a hit when he extends the play.
  • ws.
  • Bucket throws will come out a little flat.
  • Needs to do a better job of throwing receivers away from coverage.

Sources Tell Us​

“He’s so much more confident than he was when he came in. The only thing you worry about a little bit is how he will respond when he’s outside the comfort of that (Oregon) offense. Does he play with the same confidence?" - NFC area scout

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Watched every snap of his @ Oregon at least once while he was running Dillingham’s and Steins offenses. Both will tell you he took the keys before they anticipated him having full liberties with play calling. Of course, with his experience this shouldn’t be surprising.

Plenty examples of him reading and reacting to defensive sets (contrary to popular belief), looking off safeties, and making plays off-script. Oregon is pigeon-holed as being nothing more than quirky and check-down, particularly by fans of the team just to the north. If you want, you can find ample tape of his receivers dropping deep balls in 2023. I believe his adjusted completion percentage, if you take away drops, was around 85%. He is sneaky athletic and dialed-back his running last season cuz he understood the importance of him being on the field (Ty Thompson factor) and healthy unlike how he finished the prior season.

One of the best things I saw from Nix (maybe this isn't good news) came after a third down incompletion in a game they clearly had in hand. Bucky Irving ran a lazy route and then proceeded to drop the pass. Heading to the sideline Nix immediately approached Irving while hand gesturing how the route should have been run. Bucky made a beeline toward the bench without acknowledging Bo. Bo then turned to the RB coach to have a word. So, he gets it. Just cuz this one was in the bag doesn’t mean you stop executing. Goes hand-in-hand with maturity, I guess.

All those positives being said, he’s definitely NOT a first rounder and probably max’s out as a tricked-out Derek Carr. Which really isn’t that bad…but it’s Derek Carr. Properly slotted, he should be the league’s top back-up QB but of course someone will reach and pencil him in as their starter. I personally wouldn't look to him as the long-term answer for your team's #1 QB.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Did everyone watch him while he played with Auburn? He isn't a 1st rd prospect, don't understand why he is even being projected as a day 2 player.

tm1119

Reaction score
I’d rather gamble on Spencer Rattler in the 3rd or Jordan Travis in the 4th/5th if we’re going to go the older QB prospect route

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Did everyone watch him while he played with Auburn? He isn't a 1st rd prospect, don't understand why he is even being projected as a day 2 player.
In fairness, did you watch Penix at Indiana or Daniels at ASU? Didn’t sniff Heisman during those runs.

Nix wasn’t good at Auburn but he didn’t have the luxury of playing at places like Indiana or ASU where much wasn’t expected from the football program. He had to play at Auburn, which for whatever reason believes that wearing a SEC logo validates them as being a football powerhouse. That program has been living in the past.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In fairness, did you watch Penix at Indiana or Daniels at ASU? Didn’t sniff Heisman during those runs.

Nix wasn’t good at Auburn but he didn’t have the luxury of playing at places like Indiana or ASU where much wasn’t expected from the football program. He had to play at Auburn, which for whatever reason believes that wearing a SEC logo validates them as being a football powerhouse. That program has been living in the past.
Fair enough, I just don't see an NFL starter in Nix.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I see Bo Nix as a #2 or best-case a low end #1.

Physically, he kind of reminds me of Dak coming out of Mississippi State. Average arm, pretty good runner but not an overwhelming threat. Bo is skinnier, but he's in that zip code. As a passer, he's pretty raw. Oregon scripted him to death with pre-determined throws,... as a result, he almost never challenges the middle and rarely comes off his first read. His accuracy is shakier than his completion percentage would show as well. There's a lot of work still to do.

I think he's got a moderate ceiling with his decent physical tools, and an XFL floor if Oregon's super-gimmick offense was just a coat of duck green paint slapped over the same guy we saw at Auburn.

The best-best case scenario for Bo is becoming Dak. I think he projects closer to Baker Mayfield, or like a Derek Carr as mentioned above. A guy who kind of hovers right on that starter-backup cutoff line.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Penix isnt a very good prospect either

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I am on the Bo Nix train It will be lovely if we can get him. if not Michael Pratt is another option.