Bo Nix

Gambit

Reaction score
Where would you draft him?

Listening to Brugler he seems tailor made for West Coast. Quick reads Quick release (led college with time to throw) avg depth to throw 7 yards.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He'll got in the 1st bc he's a QB but not sure he warrants that. He was terrible at Auburn (more pro style O) and was awesome at Oregon (gimmicky O).

He has talent and some positive traits, but I'm in need of a franchise QB, he scares me a little. A LOT of short quick passes and a very low ADOT so he'll probably take a lot of development.

RS12

Reaction score
Depends on who is developing him. Sean McVay would probably maximize him. MM might but the clock is ticking on MM, loudly.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I like Joe Milton...... Not including the top guys that will go top 10.

Milton has great size at 6-5 235. Has a cannon for an arm, can make every throw you want. 4.6 40.

Needs developing but has tremendous upside

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like Joe Milton...... Not including the top guys that will go top 10.

Milton has great size at 6-5 235. Has a cannon for an arm, can make every throw you want. 4.6 40.

Needs developing but has tremendous upside
Love him as a developmental guy. Kinda like a ARich lite.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Right or wrong, I think the Cowboys believe they have their developmental QB in Lance.

I don’t see us drafting a QB, at least during the first two days.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I just don't see a starting level QB with Nix.

QB is getting to be more and more of a tools position, where being big, fast, and rocket-armed can overcome a lot of deficits. And Nix looks pretty athletically average by NFL standards. He clears the threshold for sure, but is he even as physically talented as 2023 Dak? Probably right in there, and Dak is one of the most "pocket" QBs left in the league.

Nix's volume stats are pretty much empty calories where the receivers do the work. His accuracy looks shaky and he doesn't deal with pressure well (or often, because Oregon gets the ball out so fast).

I can see a best case scenario where Nix ends up being like a Dak, but Dak put in a metric ton of work to improve to where he's at, and we're still asking ourselves if he's the guy. The more likely case is Nix ends up more like a Sam Howell or a Josh Dobbs. Kind of an aggressive gamer without enough physical tools to really game.

I think you take him in the 1st round anyway. This is a league where Daniel Jones makes $40M a season, so Nix will save you a franchise-changing amount of cap room over 4 years if he even turns out to be OK. At some point, you just bet that I'm dumb and wrong and take that plunge. I hated Will Levis last year, but he totally made sense in the 2nd, and he didn't look half bad this season either.

rambo2

Reaction score
Nix is an NFL starter. He might turn out to be the best qb in the class.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I just don't see a starting level QB with Nix.

QB is getting to be more and more of a tools position, where being big, fast, and rocket-armed can overcome a lot of deficits. And Nix looks pretty athletically average by NFL standards. He clears the threshold for sure, but is he even as physically talented as 2023 Dak? Probably right in there, and Dak is one of the most "pocket" QBs left in the league.

Nix's volume stats are pretty much empty calories where the receivers do the work. His accuracy looks shaky and he doesn't deal with pressure well (or often, because Oregon gets the ball out so fast).

I can see a best case scenario where Nix ends up being like a Dak, but Dak put in a metric ton of work to improve to where he's at, and we're still asking ourselves if he's the guy. The more likely case is Nix ends up more like a Sam Howell or a Josh Dobbs. Kind of an aggressive gamer without enough physical tools to really game.

I think you take him in the 1st round anyway. This is a league where Daniel Jones makes $40M a season, so Nix will save you a franchise-changing amount of cap room over 4 years if he even turns out to be OK. At some point, you just bet that I'm dumb and wrong and take that plunge. I hated Will Levis last year, but he totally made sense in the 2nd, and he didn't look half bad this season either.
This…and Levis had louder tools.

Plankton

Reaction score
Nix started a lot of games in college - 61 games! That's insane. He did a nice job of emerging from the wreckage of his time at Auburn, but I don't see the upside with him. He doesn't have great size, or a big arm, and he struggled against SEC defenses. His stats in the PAC12 mean less when you consider the caliber of defenses in that conference. I can see Nix having a long career as a backup, or end up as a middling starter who won't get a second contract. I would not use a high pick on him.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Got watching some QB tape today at work. JJ McCarthy is the quarterback that everyone thinks Bo Nix is. Dude can absolutely launch rockets when he sets his feet, and he's a long strider who can run much faster than you think. If you want to draft a mid 1st round bag of tools, he's your guy.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Got watching some QB tape today at work. JJ McCarthy is the quarterback that everyone thinks Bo Nix is. Dude can absolutely launch rockets when he sets his feet, and he's a long strider who can run much faster than you think. If you want to draft a mid 1st round bag of tools, he's your guy.
Significantly better prospect. Yet, they will probably go within 10-20 picks of each other.

tm1119

Reaction score
Nix got good at college football because he played it longer than anyone else. He won’t get 5 years of playing time in the NFL to figure it out. And even then I still don’t really like his skill set. How many anticipation throws into tight windows did he make at Oregon?

If we are talking about a QB outside of the top 25 to potentially develop I’d look at Michael Pratt from Tulane