Bo Nix

RS12

Reaction score
Bo Nix was excellent in his final season at Oregon, but he reportedly didn't do enough at the Senior Bowl to differentiate himself from the second tier of quarterback prospects entering this year's NFL draft.

ESPN's Jeff Legwold reported "evaluators arrived in Mobile wanting to see Nix operate out of the comfort of Oregon's offense, work under center and drive the ball downfield when the opportunity arose. They left Mobile with the feeling Nix hadn't answered those questions."

B/R's NFL Scouting Department gave him a third-round grade before his uneven performance in the Senior Bowl week.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’d take JJ 10 times out of 10 over Bo…considerably younger, similar traits, experience in a pro style offense and dude has been a winner forever.

Lack of production is noticeable but their team was based on run game and defense.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just don't see a starting level QB with Nix.

QB is getting to be more and more of a tools position, where being big, fast, and rocket-armed can overcome a lot of deficits. And Nix looks pretty athletically average by NFL standards. He clears the threshold for sure, but is he even as physically talented as 2023 Dak? Probably right in there, and Dak is one of the most "pocket" QBs left in the league.

Nix's volume stats are pretty much empty calories where the receivers do the work. His accuracy looks shaky and he doesn't deal with pressure well (or often, because Oregon gets the ball out so fast).

I can see a best case scenario where Nix ends up being like a Dak, but Dak put in a metric ton of work to improve to where he's at, and we're still asking ourselves if he's the guy. The more likely case is Nix ends up more like a Sam Howell or a Josh Dobbs. Kind of an aggressive gamer without enough physical tools to really game.

I think you take him in the 1st round anyway. This is a league where Daniel Jones makes $40M a season, so Nix will save you a franchise-changing amount of cap room over 4 years if he even turns out to be OK. At some point, you just bet that I'm dumb and wrong and take that plunge. I hated Will Levis last year, but he totally made sense in the 2nd, and he didn't look half bad this season either.
Same. Nix just strikes me as the type of QB that teams take in the middle of the first hoping to beat the system. I think that he will pretty much be Sam Howell's 2023 in the NFL

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’d take JJ 10 times out of 10 over Bo…considerably younger, similar traits, experience in a pro style offense and dude has been a winner forever.

Lack of production is noticeable but their team was based on run game and defense.
For some reason McCarthy reminds me of another former Michigan QB, Brian Griese. At least the 2000 season version. I think his ceiling is lesser version of Romo's 2009 or 2014 where he played less as a gunslinger and took what defenses gave him while still being able to make big plays

John813

Reaction score
Strikes me more as a great CFB QB and someone who needs the right offensive coordinator in the NFL to have a chance. System QB.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Nix is boom or bust depending on who gets him. If the Rams get him, he will eventually be alright and start. Just an example. If we drafted him, flip a coin then.

Rayman70

Reaction score

I agree with the above 100%. JJ can come in and start in the right scenario. The other 2 guys are much more raw....quick edit, Nix isnt so much raw as that maybe they feel he has already peaked, hit his ceiling.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I get that Bo Nix has been hanging around college longer than most, but it’s not exactly a Chris Weinke situation.

I would not have guessed Trey Lance is younger.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
4 QB's before pick 24 would be awesome.

Nix and Penix are fool's gold. You will see.