***Bob Hayes Gravesite Update***

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Well, I have great news. Bob Hayes' sister just called me.

His gravesite has been paid in full and he will be moved to the Mausoleum.

The date for this move has not been made yet but she intends to let me know so I can update everyone on this. I told her that I had literally thousands of Cowboys fans willing to contribute to this and she said, "please tell them all thank you. That means the world to me."

The newspaper accounts are not telling full stories on this situation. Surprised?

Bob Hayes left his sister very strict written instructions in his Will regarding his final resting place and other aspects of his legacy. She has been following these instructions.

She is also instructed to start the Bob Hayes Foundation for Cancer Research to be opened if he is ever elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There is a website of that name under construction.

I promised her that when Bob is elected to the Hall of Fame that I will attend and will give her a hug. She asked me if I had ever met Bob. I told her no. She described him as someone who was always trying to do for others.

I talked to her about why he isn't in the Hall of Fame. She is decidely opinionated on that and I agree with every sentiment. She said, "how can those voters not understand that he forced teams to create Zone defenses in order to stop him?"

She was with Bob for the 1964 Olympics where he won 2 Gold Medals. She was with him in 1967 for the Ice Bowl where he is so criticized for hands in his pockets. It's obvious she's been with him through every high and every low. She even talked to me about his drug use. She told me Bob was very ashamed of that chapter in his life and how it has tainted his image. She said, "if you or I did drugs no one would care because we are not public figures. Because Bob was a public figure this mistake is held to a higher standard. He understood that and was hard on himself for this mistake of his life."

She asked me if I live in Dallas, and I told her I live in Tucson. She is coming here in a couple of months to visit an old friend. I am going to take her out to dinner.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Great news and awesome job!

Congratulations to everyone involved. That's really something to be proud of.

:bow: :clap2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;1597143 said:
Well, I have great news. Bob Hayes' sister just called me.

His gravesite has been paid in full and he will be moved to the Mausoleum.

The date for this move has not been made yet but she intends to let me know so I can update everyone on this. I told her that I had literally thousands of Cowboys fans willing to contribute to this and she said, "please tell them all thank you. That means the world to me."

The newspaper accounts are not telling full stories on this situation. Surprised?

Bob Hayes left his sister very strict written instructions in his Will regarding his final resting place and other aspects of his legacy. She has been following these instructions.

She is also instructed to start the Bob Hayes Foundation for Cancer Research to be opened if he is ever elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There is a website of that name under construction.

I promised her that when Bob is elected to the Hall of Fame that I will attend and will give her a hug. She asked me if I had ever met Bob. I told her no. She described him as someone who was always trying to do for others.

I talked to her about why he isn't in the Hall of Fame. She is decidely opinionated on that and I agree with every sentiment. She said, "how can those voters not understand that he forced teams to create Zone defenses in order to stop him?"

She was with Bob for the 1964 Olympics where he won 2 Gold Medals. She was with him in 1967 for the Ice Bowl where he is so criticized for hands in his pockets. It's obvious she's been with him through every high and every low. She even talked to me about his drug use. She told me Bob was very ashamed of that chapter in his life and how it has tainted his image. She said, "if you or I did drugs no one would care because we are not public figures. Because Bob was a public figure this mistake is held to a higher standard. He understood that and was hard on himself for this mistake of his life."

She asked me if I live in Dallas, and I told her I live in Tucson. She is coming here in a couple of months to visit an old friend. I am going to take her out to dinner.

Great news Hos. I'm very happy to hear that this will be resolved in a mannor befitting Bob Hayes. Sounds as if you had a very nice life experience of your own in this Endevor. This is a very nice story.

Thank you for sharing it.

:)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1597202 said:
Not that it matters, but I wonder who paid for it?

Did she? Did the Cowboys?
She made it sound like someone came forward to do this, but she told me she wanted to keep that private.

Rocky

Reaction score
It's wonderful to hear this, and thanks your willingness to spearhead the donation effort and representing the Cowboys fandom so supremely.

BTW, I have a good feeling about Hayes' chances for the HOF as well.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;1597206 said:
She made it sound like someone came forward to do this, but she told me she wanted to keep that private.

you gotta respect the privacy request in this. his sister does sound pretty incredible herself. tell her hello from all of us!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
iceberg;1597275 said:
you gotta respect the privacy request in this. his sister does sound pretty incredible herself. tell her hello from all of us!
I should have shared this before. That phrase jogged my memory.

Every year she takes a group of kids from Washington DC to the Hall of Fame and tells them that if they want their dreams bad enough they can make them happen like those men. She says when the kids remind her that Bob is not in the Hall of Fame despite how good he was she tells them, "that is the lesson of life. You can't ever stop working and take the easy road and the wrong road makes the journey harder."

hardcorebob

Through thick and thin
Reaction score
Kudos to you Hostile for taking the path less traveled. It's great news to hear that Bob is going to have his final wishes completely done as he wished. You have my complete respect for taking your personal time to do all of this PLUS take his sister to dinner.

Next is the HOF for you Bob!!!

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've wanted him in the Hall since he has been eligible, but even more so now.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Great News Hos and excellent job as well. I cannot have any more respect for you than I already have but if I could, I would.

Bob belongs in the Hall and I think he will get there. He made the final 4 of the senior selection committee.

Is it to early to begin beating the drums in the ears of the voters???

JPostSam

Reaction score
good news indeed.

hayes' sister sounds like a special person.

and hos, i don't know if it means anything to you, but you seem to me like a real class act.

sacase

Reaction score
Hos is definatly a class act. I am glad that he is on this board and glad he is a Dallas Cowboys fan. If I am ever down that way I want to shake his had and buy him a drink.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Lines from Edgewood Cemetary. I wanted to thank him for making the phone call with Bob Hayes' sister possible. I asked him if there was anything else I could do for him, and he asked me to send him a Dallas Cowboys cap. I told him it would be my honor to do so.

Speaking of that I still need to buy one for theogt as well for winning the Draft 1st round contest. I keep forgetting. My apologies to him. The other winner, never contacted me about his prize. I can't even remember who the other winner was now. I need to research that too.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile;1598129 said:
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Lines from Edgewood Cemetary. I wanted to thank him for making the phone call with Bob Hayes' sister possible. I asked him if there was anything else I could do for him, and he asked me to send him a Dallas Cowboys cap. I told him it would be my honor to do so.

Speaking of that I still need to buy one for theogt as well for winning the Draft 1st round contest. I keep forgetting. My apologies to him. The other winner, never contacted me about his prize. I can't even remember who the other winner was now. I need to research that too.

Don't send him some old crusty sweaty hat of yours ;)