Bob Hayes not HOF worthy?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
https://www.gamedaynews.com/footbal..._medium=NEWS_US-ya&utm_content=36144111129-ya

How dare they!

And the others are just as infuriating!
Why, I outta ....

C167BC3E-820E-424D-9C94-12E509F9CEC9.jpeg

And Marcus Allen?
Cod Livin wobbly!

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Who cares, he's in, those that think he doesn't belong will just have to deal with it. They will no doubt face as much frustration trying to make that argument as those defensive backs trying to cover the fastest man in the world.

#22 Bob Hayes Hall of famer:thumbup:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Who cares, he's in, those that think he doesn't belong will just have to deal with it. They will no doubt face as much frustration trying to make that argument as those defensive backs trying to cover the fastest man in the world.

#22 Bob Hayes Hall of famer:thumbup:

So his overall numbers aren't that great, as far as number of catches. But the story conveniently not only ignores the way he changed the game, it also ignores that he averaged 20 yards per catch, and every 5th pass was a touchdown. And the Cowboys were 7-7 the year before he arrived in Dallas, 11-3 the next year. Obviously a big contributor to the team's success.

I agree with some of the players being noted as possibly not worthy, but Hayes is a no-brainer. And most everybody knows the reason it took so long to get him in was the drug convictions, without that he'd been in long before...

Thomas82

Reaction score
Not saying that, handsome rover.
That is what the "story" says.

Yeah I know it was the story and not you, and probably should have clarified that. But I still can't help but wonder who in their right mind wouldn't think Bob Hayes isn't HOF worthy.

kskboys

Reaction score
So his overall numbers aren't that great, as far as number of catches. But the story conveniently not only ignores the way he changed the game, it also ignores that he averaged 20 yards per catch, and every 5th pass was a touchdown. And the Cowboys were 7-7 the year before he arrived in Dallas, 11-3 the next year. Obviously a big contributor to the team's success.

I agree with some of the players being noted as possibly not worthy, but Hayes is a no-brainer. And most everybody knows the reason it took so long to get him in was the drug convictions, without that he'd been in long before...
He also has the 19th highest Punt return average in NFL history.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, but different era. Renfro averaged 13.1 in 1964 on 32 returns.

Won't see that anymore...
Renfro was also a highly underrated player.

Diontae Johnson averaged 12.4 in 2019.

And from 2018:

Andre Roberts: 14.1
Dwayne Harris: 14.1
Desmond King: 13.8

Maybe not so different.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Renfro was also a highly underrated player.

Diontae Johnson averaged 12.4 in 2019.

And from 2018:

Andre Roberts: 14.1
Dwayne Harris: 14.1
Desmond King: 13.8

Maybe not so different.

Though Renfro went to 10 Pro Bowls and was voted into the HOF in his first year of eligibility, don't see that he was underrated...

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think the writer and some poorly supported opinions.

You can't look at overall stats alone to judge QBs from past eras. Those guys that played in the 60s and 70s won't stack up to today's average QBs in terms of volume stats. Griese finished in the top 10 for passer rating eleven times during his career, five times in the top 5. Compared to the peers from his era he was one of the tops.

I do agree that Terrell Davis did not do enough to warrant the HoF, in my opinion. I'm not complaining he is in, but I will make a case he shouldn't be. He was on his way to a stellar career, but unfortunately injuries cut it short. You often ear how Barry Sanders retired too soon, but he is ranked 8th overall in rushing attempts. Sanders has far more rushing attempts than Davis. So does Jim Brown, who also retired with a lot of game left in him. I think the best of the best not only have an impact like Davis did, but also have longevity. Perhaps I am just spoiled by Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith. I also got to watch Walter Payton. And another 547 yards from scrimmage will push Ezekiel Elliott over Terrell Davis in career totals. Just a reference on how little Davis produced through his career. I wish he didn't get injured because he was fun to watch. He was the best RB in that Broncos system, which was favorable to running backs. He would have done well on any team.

Jerome Bettis is the opposite. He had the longevity, but he didn't really have an impact, in my opinion. His career 3.9 ypc drops down to 3.4 ypc over 14 playoff games. He was a good back, but if we are talking about the absolute best to play in the NFL, I just don't see it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think the writer and some poorly supported opinions.

You can't look at overall stats alone to judge QBs from past eras. Those guys that played in the 60s and 70s won't stack up to today's average QBs in terms of volume stats. Griese finished in the top 10 for passer rating eleven times during his career, five times in the top 5. Compared to the peers from his era he was one of the tops.

I do agree that Terrell Davis did not do enough to warrant the HoF, in my opinion. I'm not complaining he is in, but I will make a case he shouldn't be. He was on his way to a stellar career, but unfortunately injuries cut it short. You often ear how Barry Sanders retired too soon, but he is ranked 8th overall in rushing attempts. Sanders has far more rushing attempts than Davis. So does Jim Brown, who also retired with a lot of game left in him. I think the best of the best not only have an impact like Davis did, but also have longevity. Perhaps I am just spoiled by Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith. I also got to watch Walter Payton. And another 547 yards from scrimmage will push Ezekiel Elliott over Terrell Davis in career totals. Just a reference on how little Davis produced through his career. I wish he didn't get injured because he was fun to watch. He was the best RB in that Broncos system, which was favorable to running backs. He would have done well on any team.

Jerome Bettis is the opposite. He had the longevity, but he didn't really have an impact, in my opinion. His career 3.9 ypc drops down to 3.4 ypc over 14 playoff games. He was a good back, but if we are talking about the absolute best to play in the NFL, I just don't see it.

Good post.

I guess it comes down to just what does anyone think the HOF should consist of, is the absolute best, head and shoulders above all the rest, or is it just any player who has great stats, great longevity, championships, impacted the game measurably? You mentioned Terrell Davis, yes he had limited rushing attempts, but Gale Sayers had only 938 rushing attempts, these days that's barely 4 years' worth, Emmitt had more than that in his first 3 years. But if you let Sayers in, who was great but often injured, then you pretty much can't keep Davis out, either.

There are the obvious players like Staubach, Emmitt, Lilly, etc. They were no-brainers. Guys like Hayes you have to dig a bit deeper to find their HOF credentials.

The more you add the Bettis type player, to me it diminishes the aura of being in the HOF. If it was up to me it'd be a more exclusive club.

All Dallas Cowboys. (Just kidding)...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Good post.

I guess it comes down to just what does anyone think the HOF should consist of, is the absolute best, head and shoulders above all the rest, or is it just any player who has great stats, great longevity, championships, impacted the game measurably? You mentioned Terrell Davis, yes he had limited rushing attempts, but Gale Sayers had only 938 rushing attempts, these days that's barely 4 years' worth, Emmitt had more than that in his first 3 years. But if you let Sayers in, who was great but often injured, then you pretty much can't keep Davis out, either.

There are the obvious players like Staubach, Emmitt, Lilly, etc. They were no-brainers. Guys like Hayes you have to dig a bit deeper to find their HOF credentials.

The more you add the Bettis type player, to me it diminishes the aura of being in the HOF. If it was up to me it'd be a more exclusive club.

All Dallas Cowboys. (Just kidding)...

Yes, Sayers also had an injury shortened career, but he accomplished more in my opinion. He was all-pro his first 5 seasons(Davis was all-pro for 3 seasons). I definitely listen to arguments against Sayers being in the HoF because of his short career. I think he is worthy. He played on teams that weren't very good while Davis played on loaded teams.

RaZon

Reaction score
Lynn Swann is in the HOF

3 pro bowls, 1 all pro
336 catchs
5462 yards
51 TD

Bob Hayes

3 pro bowl 2 all pro
371 catchs
71TD
20,0 avg

Seems like a slamdunk to me.

Tell ya who should be in but isn;t.......Cliff Branch!

There is a little misconception about Hayes being the first really fast WR to the point of changing the defense, back in 1950 Bob Boyd of Loyola won the NCAA 100 yards, he was far faster than the DB's in 1950's, a 1000 yard receiver for the Rams.

Bob_Boyd_._1951_Bowman-1.jpg