Bob Hayes not HOF worthy?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Renfro was also a highly underrated player.

Diontae Johnson averaged 12.4 in 2019.

And from 2018:

Andre Roberts: 14.1
Dwayne Harris: 14.1
Desmond King: 13.8

Maybe not so different.

But Johnson had only 20 returns, a long of 85, take away that one return and he averaged only 8.57. Take away Renfro's long in 1964 and on the other 31 he still averaged 11.25, only about a yard behind Johnson's average including the long return.

Like I said, different era, the rules are somewhat different if nothing else, and once he ran a few long ones back teams would definitely pay more attention to him, Johnson had barely 1 a game, no team is going to adjust their entire punt return defense in case a players one return might be big. Same reason I don't really care if Dallas has a great punt returner, they also only average maybe 2 a game, one td in the entire season or another 2-3 yards on average for punt returns is not likely to mean much as far as getting a ring is concerned....

kskboys

Reaction score
But Johnson had only 20 returns, a long of 85, take away that one return and he averaged only 8.57. Take away Renfro's long in 1964 and on the other 31 he still averaged 11.25, only about a yard behind Johnson's average including the long return.

Like I said, different era, the rules are somewhat different if nothing else, and once he ran a few long ones back teams would definitely pay more attention to him, Johnson had barely 1 a game, no team is going to adjust their entire punt return defense in case a players one return might be big. Same reason I don't really care if Dallas has a great punt returner, they also only average maybe 2 a game, one td in the entire season or another 2-3 yards on average for punt returns is not likely to mean much as far as getting a ring is concerned....
OK, had to look back. You had stated that you wouldn't see his PR stats any more. I was merely pointing out that you still do.

RaZon

Reaction score
A little about Mel Renfro.

A stud RB while at Oregon, he was also a 13,7 hurdler and a 25-11 long jumper, and ran a leg on a world record 4x1 team which is rare for a college team.

kskboys

Reaction score
A little about Mel Renfro.

A stud RB while at Oregon, he was also a 13,7 hurdler and a 25-11 long jumper, and ran a leg on a world record 4x1 team which is rare for a college team.
Renfro is the best DB we've ever had on our team, bar none.

terra

Reaction score
The criteria for the HOF is supposed to be based on three things

1) The player was arguably the best at his position for at least 5 years
2) The player changed the game
3) the player just plain flat did more then anyone else (Fran Tarkenton got in because of this; arguably a number of players have)

Bob Hayes did one and two.

RaZon

Reaction score
The criteria for the HOF is supposed to be based on three things

1) The player was arguably the best at his position for at least 5 years
2) The player changed the game
3) the player just plain flat did more then anyone else (Fran Tarkenton got in because of this; arguably a number of players have)

Bob Hayes did one and two.

No running back during the days of Jim Brown were arguably the best, who was better than Jim Brown?

Yet, Lenny Moore, Hugh McElhenny, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Frank Gifford, John Henry Johnson, Gale Sayers all in the HOF all played with Brown.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
OK, had to look back. You had stated that you wouldn't see his PR stats any more. I was merely pointing out that you still do.

If you want to talk one number, yes you're right, but as is often the case one number doesn't tell the whole story...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He is by the Cowboys fanbase. Same as Meredith.

Maybe, though "old timers" like me know just how good he was. And part of that is because he was so good he was sort of unnoticed. I remember one season they said he only had 20 passes thrown his way all season, that was back in the day when about 25 pass attempts a game was the norm, not as many as today...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So his overall numbers aren't that great, as far as number of catches. But the story conveniently not only ignores the way he changed the game, it also ignores that he averaged 20 yards per catch, and every 5th pass was a touchdown. And the Cowboys were 7-7 the year before he arrived in Dallas, 11-3 the next year. Obviously a big contributor to the team's success.

I agree with some of the players being noted as possibly not worthy, but Hayes is a no-brainer. And most everybody knows the reason it took so long to get him in was the drug convictions, without that he'd been in long before...
Fans forget that “Impact” is also a qualifier for HOF. And Bullet certainly qualifies regardless of his stats.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is what validates the HOF . It recognizes the greatest to ever play.

Not the most career stats which can help you get in if you weren’t one of the great talents of the game much like winning championships helps some players who wouldn’t otherwise qualify .

IMPACT is an awesome qualifier. Gale Sayers, Joe Namath are two that come to mind without great career stats but in their prime for a few years were among the greatest in their era.

I’d argue it’s why Jimmy Johnson is getting in . IMPACT. Not career stats. In his era he was one of the greatest coaches. That’s what the HOF is all about.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe, though "old timers" like me know just how good he was. And part of that is because he was so good he was sort of unnoticed. I remember one season they said he only had 20 passes thrown his way all season, that was back in the day when about 25 pass attempts a game was the norm, not as many as today...
Just to give some fans how few passes were thrown in that era my uncle was an all conference Split End as they were called in early 60’s with only 10 receptions and 2 TD’s. He was recruited by Bear Bryant. And offered a FA contract by Vince Lombardi .