Bob Sturm Blog: Football 301: Decoding Garrett – Week 3

reddyuta

Reaction score
aikemirv;2982641 said:
My only question is:

Why had felix only been target 2 times in the passing game. The result from Monday night on that first play should tell you to do that more often. It slows down the blitz and keeps everyone honest. That is the biggest problem I have with Garretts offense. The RB is not involved in the passing game except for checkdowns in most all cases.

i think it might be a combination of things.Felix is not that good of a pass catcher as TC and Tony often overthrows on short passes(atleast this season).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
aikemirv;2982641 said:
My only question is:

Why had felix only been target 2 times in the passing game. The result from Monday night on that first play should tell you to do that more often. It slows down the blitz and keeps everyone honest. That is the biggest problem I have with Garretts offense. The RB is not involved in the passing game except for checkdowns in most all cases.
One reason is if you do stuff too often it loses effectiveness. The other is that if you do it too often you come to rely on it too much.

The Offense is moving the chains, scoring and eating up clock. There's no reason to change what is working and sprinkle in this other stuff. It's not like they are desperate for something to work because everything else is failing. That is why I don't understand the hand wringing over how many touches Austin, Bennett, and Hurd are getting. It would be different if the Offense was stalled.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Hostile;2982677 said:
One reason is if you do stuff too often it loses effectiveness. The other is that if you do it too often you come to rely on it too much.

The Offense is moving the chains, scoring and eating up clock. There's no reason to change what is working and sprinkle in this other stuff. It's not like they are desperate for something to work because everything else is failing. That is why I don't understand the hand wringing over how many touches Austin, Bennett, and Hurd are getting. It would be different if the Offense was stalled.

It is not really about getting the ball in his hands more, it is about making sure the defense has to account for it.

At this rate they don't.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
aikemirv;2982684 said:
It is not really about getting the ball in his hands more, it is about making sure the defense has to account for it.

At this rate they don't.
I disagree with that. Even when a play goes to another player a defense still has to account for all of the potential options.

In the Tampa game did Bennett tear up the world? No, but he caused mismatches that freed up other plays because the defense had to adjust and account for him.

You put Felix in the backfield and then send him in motion to the slot. Even if the ball does not go to him he has to be accounted for. Every play has a focus and multiple decoys.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2982446 said:
didn't you use to not like Cricket?
I never disliked him. I just didn't understand the hype when he first came in. He wasn't particularly good at anything early on and it's hard to see growth potential in a fullback, so I think most people were basing that hype on the fact that he ate a cricket and was homeless or some such.