Recap: Bobby Belt on Kelvin Joseph

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has 2nd round draft goggles.
He takes ridiculous chances in a round where risks are foolish. Taking one in rounds 4-7…ok. And if he just took a risk once in a while that would even be ok. But he’s done this like a drug habit in round 2 for nearly two decades.

DLaw, Awuzie, Diggs, Sean Lee (he may have a risk too) turned out pretty well. But how can we forget Gavin Escobar, Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, Trysten Hill, Bruce Carter, Jacob Rogers (never played a down in the NFL!) 30 other GMs would have been fired for this kind of track record.

It’s foolish and it has cost the team lots of premium draft capital and they are never serious FA players. Just bad roster building skills.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
He takes ridiculous chances in a round where risks are foolish. Taking one in rounds 4-7…ok. And if he just took a risk once in a while that would even be ok. But he’s done this like a drug habit in round 2. It’s foolish and it has cost the team lots of premium draft capital and they are never serious FA players. Just bad roster building skills.
Hill over Thornhill, Joseph over JOK and Samuel Jr, and I think Creed Humphrey (not sure if thats correct). The list continues.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
While this may be true, Bobby Belt has a HUGE agenda. Dude essentially runs a semi pro smear campaign against the Jones boys.
I've been skeptical of him ever since I heard him almost cry live on the air when he heard the Cowboys were releasing Jaylon Smith.

Seriously, he was very defensive of Smith and thought it was a mistake. I was like, what? How can anyone say that? Especially a team "expert."

Carson

Reaction score
I've been skeptical of him ever since I heard him almost cry live on the air when he heard the Cowboys were releasing Jaylon Smith.

Seriously, he was very defensive of Smith and thought it was a mistake. I was like, what? How can anyone say that? Especially a team "expert."
I am sure these media get to know these guys personally in the locker room and out, so it feels a a lot more personal

plymkr

Reaction score
Why not first wait to see if he's better than CB Brown first? If he isn't, get him off the team. If he is, welcome to the Dallas Cowboys. I couldn't care less who he hangs with in his spare time.
I agree. But prior to the murder incident that he was involved in it is reported that his behavior was keeping him off the field. So how can we know if he's better than Brown if his behavior doesn't let him get on the field? Like I said if he was a headache to the point that he barely played last season then in the offseason he's involved in a murder that may get him suspended. This has nothing to do with who he hangs out with. He might be the most talented CB the league has ever seen but if he doesn't play in games for whatever reason than he's worthless.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Not surprising to hear. I had a feeling something was up since the Cowboys have stayed very quiet about Kelvin Joseph for the past year. What a huge mistake this pick was. Another super costly 2nd round pick gone to waste. Who made this choice???

Totally messed up with this pick. Cowboys just seem to whiff on those 2nd rounders except for Diggs.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He takes ridiculous chances in a round where risks are foolish. Taking one in rounds 4-7…ok. And if he just took a risk once in a while that would even be ok. But he’s done this like a drug habit in round 2 for nearly two decades.

DLaw, Awuzie, Diggs, Sean Lee (he may have a risk too) turned out pretty well. But how can we forget Gavin Escobar, Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, Trysten Hill, Bruce Carter, Jacob Rogers (never played a down in the NFL!) 30 other GMs would have been fired for this kind of track record.

It’s foolish and it has cost the team lots of premium draft capital and they are never serious FA players. Just bad roster building skills.
You nailed it, BH! :hammer:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

So was he faking being upset?

Pass2Run

Reaction score

KJ was the most athletically gifted guy available. If they can coach him up, they made the right move. Nobody knows what he'll do this year, and nobody really knows how the gamble will play out. Every pick is a gamble.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
KJ was the most athletically gifted guy available. If they can coach him up, they made the right move. Nobody knows what he'll do this year, and nobody really knows how the gamble will play out. Every pick is a gamble.
But Jones has made a history of 2nd round gambles. I think most fans are frustrated. The 1st & 2nd round pics AT LEAST should be "come in and contribute" type players. Yet even players that are decent didn't the 1st year. Then there's the injury history gamble on top of the character issue and fans just see par for the course.
Save that mentality on the 4-7 rounds like some have mentioned. It's also a detriment financially.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
But Jones has made a history of 2nd round gambles. I think most fans are frustrated. The 1st & 2nd round pics AT LEAST should be "come in and contribute" type players. Yet even players that are decent didn't the 1st year. Then there's the injury history gamble on top of the character issue and fans just see par for the course.
Save that mentality on the 4-7 rounds like some have mentioned. It's also a detriment financially.

Other than the shooting, which he wasn't directly involved in, and some no-name guy in the media, what else points to Joseph being a bad draft pick? The reps he played in last year, he did pretty well. Nobody knew Brown, a 6th round pick, who also happens to run a 4.3, was going to pan out.

What are we supposed to do? Sit a guy in favor of a rookie because he was a higher pick?

Brown earned the spot. That doesn't make Joseph a bad player or pick.

And neither does this guy talking smack about him.

Anthony Brown is actually quite an athlete. A cornerback who benches 225 19 times, and runs a 4.3.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Other than the shooting, which he wasn't directly involved in, and some no-name guy in the media, what else points to Joseph being a bad draft pick? The reps he played in last year, he did pretty well. Nobody knew Brown, a 6th round pick, who also happens to run a 4.3, was going to pan out.

What are we supposed to do? Sit a guy in favor of a rookie because he was a higher pick?

Brown earned the spot. That doesn't make Joseph a bad player or pick.

And neither does this guy talking smack about him.

Anthony Brown is actually quite an athlete. A cornerback who benches 225 19 times, and runs a 4.3.
He was directly involved, he couldn't possibly be more involved and not get convicted of murder. The "no name" journalist brought what insiders are talking about and that is Joseph isn't a great team mate or worker of his craft. He made THREE plays on the ball all season, that's awful not "pretty well."

Why is this so hard for some to swallow?

For fun, we should start a simple poll with 2 options.
1) Joseph will start a season
2) Joseph will not start

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'll never understand why this FO is so horny for using premium draft capital on players with extensive injury/personal history.

Carry on. Business as usual.
because those players look like a good bargain to the jones boys and they love bargains!
they are so arrogant,(and cheap) they think they can "fix" any player, and get the most out of them.
This is a bad philosophy, as on avg they will only fix a small % of them.

But to jones boys they are getting a # 1 talent for a lower round pick. And to make it worse they usually pick these players too high.
They should have waited to the 4th or 5th round for joseph and some of the other guys in past and if they are still there then pick them.
Dont use picks 1-3 on players with issues, personal or serious injurys.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Depends on the state. I saw where two friends walked out of a bar to talk to someone. One guy pulls a gun and shoots that guy. Both run and had to be tracked down by police. Both got charged and convicted of murder.

This happened in Colorado. They didn't care how involved the other guy was.

I think Joseph has two things working in his favor. First, it happened in Texas. Second, he's one of the few actual witnesses to the crime, so the state is going to want him on its side to get a conviction. That he didn't report what happened immediately works against him, but that can be forgiven with cooperation.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He was directly involved, he couldn't possibly be more involved and not get convicted of murder. The "no name" journalist brought what insiders are talking about and that is Joseph isn't a great team mate or worker of his craft. He made THREE plays on the ball all season, that's awful not "pretty well."

Why is this so hard for some to swallow?

For fun, we should start a simple poll with 2 options.
1) Joseph will start a season
2) Joseph will not start
well jerry may start him just to save face that he picked him in 2nd round.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Can't forget (well, maybe you can) Dwayne Goodrich, picked in the 2nd round in 2000 NFL Draft. Gets drunk, hits some men helping another get out of a burning car, kills 2 and severely damages another's leg. :(

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have no idea if he actually said that, but that definitely appears to be the way he thinks.

That's not a direct quote, but he has said some dumb stuff about his gambling nature in the past.

The team traded for Alonzo Highsmith in 1990 and his knee was completely shot. The team's doctors told Jerry that his knee was gone and that he shouldn't trade for him. Jerry sent Houston a 2nd and a 5th. Pretty sure it was one of those E60 shows, but Jerry said something to the effects of his gambling nature being a positive even if it doesn't work out all the time.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree. But prior to the murder incident that he was involved in it is reported that his behavior was keeping him off the field. So how can we know if he's better than Brown if his behavior doesn't let him get on the field? Like I said if he was a headache to the point that he barely played last season then in the offseason he's involved in a murder that may get him suspended. This has nothing to do with who he hangs out with. He might be the most talented CB the league has ever seen but if he doesn't play in games for whatever reason than he's worthless.

If that's the case then I'd agree. I just don't usually put much stock in these rumors. We've heard it before. I figured he was injured.

This could be a wake up call for him. If it were you or me, we'd be arrested. I hope his legal team and agent are stressing that. An attitude change usually follows a good scare.