Bobby Carpenter in 1 - Pat Watkins in 2

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Some people don't want to see Carpenter move to ILB, but I would. He has the mentality of an ILB and his aggressive nature will take over.

And if he blitzs up the gut, it's over.. Let me put it this way, I haven't seen many LB'rs here knife thru the line and stop someone short like Ken Norton used to do...That guy would be Carpenter.

Carpenter may be one of the most versatile defensive players in this draft and there are several positions that he can play effectively while still being productive.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Carpenter may be one of the most versatile defensive players in this draft and there are several positions that he can play effectively while still being productive.

but he's best suited at OLB

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
hendog said:
Can I get an Amen!

No, because you guys are WRONG...

If the Cowboys wish to get back to the Super Bowl, priority one MUST be improving the offensive line...

It really is just that simple... you wanna see how good our current defense can get, just let the offense start racking up those 12 play, 80 yard, 6 minute drives... that does 2 things, it keeps the ball out of the other offense's hands (kinda hard to rack up much yardage when you don't have the ball), and when the other team does get the ball-- particularly late in the game, they're playing from behind, which largely takes the running game out of the equation... those linebackers and defensive linemen can pin their ears back and get after the quarterback...

I want to see lots of offensive linemen and a wide receiver or two in this next draft... I want to see offensive linemen signed in free agency, too...

I'm not saying the Boys couldn't use a good FS, or a 350 pound NT, or linebacking depth, I'm just saying that the Boys can win it all with the defense they have now, if they go out and get themselves a more efficient offense...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
silverbear said:
No, because you guys are WRONG...

If the Cowboys wish to get back to the Super Bowl, priority one MUST be improving the offensive line...

It really is just that simple... you wanna see how good our current defense can get, just let the offense start racking up those 12 play, 80 yard, 6 minute drives... that does 2 things, it keeps the ball out of the other offense's hands (kinda hard to rack up much yardage when you don't have the ball), and when the other team does get the ball-- particularly late in the game, they're playing from behind, which largely takes the running game out of the equation... those linebackers and defensive linemen can pin their ears back and get after the quarterback...

I want to see lots of offensive linemen and a wide receiver or two in this next draft... I want to see offensive linemen signed in free agency, too...

I'm not saying the Boys couldn't use a good FS, or a 350 pound NT, or linebacking depth, I'm just saying that the Boys can win it all with the defense they have now, if they go out and get themselves a more efficient offense...
And we are right there with you brother. That's why I proposed us signing Jeff Backus RT, LeCharles Bentley. Right there is your cornerstone on the offensive line.

They are 26 and 28 years of age, so age isn't a concern. They are both outstanding players on the front line, and we can still draft another Tackle or guard late in the draft.

Not to mention guys like Gurode who is actually pretty good at guard (the time JJ ran for nearly 200 yards of something like that this year) was when Gurode was in there.

But the reason everyone is talking defense so much, is because once we add 4 pieces to this defense, we are dead set to dominate for years to come.

And all those years the Steelers were close was because of their defense and not their offense. Our offense did actually pretty good considering we had nothing at both tackle spots.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
And we are right there with you brother. That's why I proposed us signing Jeff Backus RT, LeCharles Bentley. Right there is your cornerstone on the offensive line.

They are 26 and 28 years of age, so age isn't a concern. They are both outstanding players on the front line, and we can still draft another Tackle or guard late in the draft.

Not to mention guys like Gurode who is actually pretty good at guard (the time JJ ran for nearly 200 yards of something like that this year) was when Gurode was in there.

But the reason everyone is talking defense so much, is because once we add 4 pieces to this defense, we are dead set to dominate for years to come.

And all those years the Steelers were close was because of their defense and not their offense. Our offense did actually pretty good considering we had nothing at both tackle spots.

I think drafting a tackle might be a better solution than signing Backus. Someone like Scott, Justice, McNeil, and even O'Callaghan would probably outplay him. Backus is nothing special. I wouldn't mind signing Bentley and moving him to guard to replace a released Larry Allen. We could let Rivera and Peterman fight it out for the other position as well.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I think drafting a tackle might be a better solution than signing Backus. Someone like Scott, Justice, McNeil, and even O'Callaghan would probably outplay him. Backus is nothing special. I wouldn't mind signing Bentley and moving him to guard to replace a released Larry Allen. We could let Rivera and Peterman fight it out for the other position as well.
Unfortunately 3 of the 4 guys you named ( Scott, Justice, McNeil,) were completely abused by a short slow Darryl Tapp in the senior bowl.

I don't mind a draft pick, but not those 3.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Unfortunately 3 of the 4 guys you named ( Scott, Justice, McNeil,) were completely abused by a short slow Darryl Tapp in the senior bowl.

I don't mind a draft pick, but not those 3.

O' Callaghan dominated. I think he will be available in the 2nd or 3rd round. I thought you liked Darryl Tapp?:)

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
hendog said:
1-Bobby Carpenter - OLB- Ohio ST
2-Pat Watkins - FS - Florida ST
3-Taitusi Lutui/Charles Spencer - OG
5-Anthony Shlegel ILB Ohio ST
6-Barrick Nealy/Paul Pinegar - QB
7-Zach Strief - RT - Northwestern

I would not mind this draft at all. Carpenter in round 1 will draw some critism in that he was injured late in the year. If though he can workout at the combine/pro day and do well then I think that will put those arguments to bed.

Ohhhhhhhh.. and I don't think Schlegel lasts til the 5th. I wish we had a 4th.