Twitter: Bones Fassel Experimented With Lateral Returns Against WFT

fivetwos

Reaction score
Who's decision is it to have DIGGS of all people returning punts while ahead by 19 in the 4th quarter?

It's Lamb otherwise.

Why are we aggressively trying to block punts when we are the better team and ahead?

I want solid coverage on kicks....not some sort of sideshow designed at drawing attention to himself.

Risk/reward isn't adding up.

I'd either fire him or reel him in big time...but I guess people like their Dallas DST for the fantasy leagues.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really really like this guy. I know he’s a gambler but it’s REFRESHING at least to have a ST Coord trying to make an impact on the game

I feel 180 degrees the other way. I think Fassel takes way to many gambles and risks. He did it again last Sunday in addition to these dumb returns by going for a block and nearly getting a roughing penalty.

Too bad if special teams isn’t quite exciting enough for him. I prefer smart and safe.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm actually okay with it, the biggest problem we have in the return game is eliminating the blocks in the back. Kind of takes all of the wind out of the sails on a good return, and puts you behind the eight ball on the fair catch. We're starting for too many drives around the 10 yard line because of that block in the back.

visionary

Reaction score
I feel 180 degrees the other way. I think Fassel takes way to many gambles and risks. He did it again last Sunday in addition to these dumb returns by going for a block and nearly getting a roughing penalty.

Too bad if special teams isn’t quite exciting enough for him. I prefer smart and safe.

this

SSoup

Reaction score
An important divisional road game in December absolutely feels like the time to experiment with reinventing the concept of returning punts.

The fact that we were emboldened enough to do this in a game like this suggests to me that it must've been really working against our own punt coverage unit in practice. I mean surely it had to produce results in practice to get the head coach to sign off on trying to bring this idea into a big game like that. Now I'm suddenly worried about our own punting unit.

Reactions: BAT

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Who's decision is it to have DIGGS of all people returning punts while ahead by 19 in the 4th quarter?

It's Lamb otherwise.

Why are we aggressively trying to block punts when we are the better team and ahead?

I want solid coverage on kicks....not some sort of sideshow designed at drawing attention to himself.

Risk/reward isn't adding up.

I'd either fire him or reel him in big time...but I guess people like their Dallas DST for the fantasy leagues.

I wondered the same , but then the thought process could be calculated risk, we are comfortably ahead and Defense was playing great. So we try there , even if we screw up - 15 yard variety and ends up converting the 4th down still we can stop them. Because the ST units need practice too, if in a close game it comes to a point we need to block a punt or FG to stay alive , that may not be a place to practice. Just my 2 cents!

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wondered the same , but then the thought process could be calculated risk, we are comfortably ahead and Defense was playing great. So we try there , even if we screw up - 15 yard variety and ends up converting the 4th down still we can stop them. Because the ST units need practice too, if in a close game it comes to a point we need to block a punt or FG to stay alive , that may not be a place to practice. Just my 2 cents!
I dont like opponents backups with a head of steam taking a shot at knees.

Not worth a few extra yards.

Again....risk/reward, but Fassel doesn't seem to have a problem going full blast for the punter after a much needed stop.

Send your gassed defense back out there due to a flag could change the game quickly. Sure, so can a blocked punt but I promise the odds of a flag are much greater.

Go for blocks when you need them.....and I just can't help but thinking it's about Fassels career over what's best within the game situation.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It was pretty obvious since two different guys bounced around laterally before going down. Not a bad idea as they most likely only lost 5-6 yards they may have gotten going straight ahead while hoping to find a crease or get coverage guys out of position.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I dont like opponents backups with a head of steam taking a shot at knees.

Not worth a few extra yards.

Again....risk/reward, but Fassel doesn't seem to have a problem going full blast for the punter after a much needed stop.

Send your gassed defense back out there due to a flag could change the game quickly. Sure, so can a blocked punt but I promise the odds of a flag are much greater.

Go for blocks when you need them.....and I just can't help but thinking it's about Fassels career over what's best within the game situation.
Blocked punts are like onsides kicks…..much better success if you don’t wait till you need them.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It was pretty obvious since two different guys bounced around laterally before going down. Not a bad idea as they most likely only lost 5-6 yards they may have gotten going straight ahead while hoping to find a crease or get coverage guys out of position.
Good point.

Thing is....did we really NEED to do that in that game?

Or is about our ST coach needing to be noticed?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’ve got to say I’m not totally against seeing the need to find a new way, just kinda iffy to try it in a game that important. Interesting regardless.

The returns were terrible.
Going sideways and backwards is not optimal.

Reactions: BAT

JayFord

Reaction score
I like bones i really do

but man....please stop sending the house on punts

why risk a personal foul?