Twitter: Bones Fassel Experimented With Lateral Returns Against WFT

lkelly

Reaction score
The NFL has all but eliminated the kick/punt return from relevancy. Part of it is punters who kick the ball directionally with height and part of it is the rule changes. It's a shame as it can be such fun, momentum changing play. I almost expected one of those illegal blind side block flags in the Packers-Bears game half way through the touchdown return. I bet the refs were thinking of reaching for the flag.

If you can't get a punt return with any substantial value, why not try for the block more and get a massive game changing play? I don't advocate it on 4th and 6 or less, but you can usually coach the players up to avoid the 15 yard penalty on the plant leg. It's all a risk, but so is going for it on 4th and short and going for 2.

grgnfg420

Reaction score
I’ve got to say I’m not totally against seeing the need to find a new way, just kinda iffy to try it in a game that important. Interesting regardless.

HOW bout we just work on not hitting the other teams punter on punt blocks we got lucky on Sunday we did it again

glimmerman

Reaction score
I feel 180 degrees the other way. I think Fassel takes way to many gambles and risks. He did it again last Sunday in addition to these dumb returns by going for a block and nearly getting a roughing penalty.

Too bad if special teams isn’t quite exciting enough for him. I prefer smart and safe.
I am waiting for the fake FG attempt. And surprised he hasn’t tried the fake punt yet..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Blocked punts are like onsides kicks…..much better success if you don’t wait till you need them.

It amazes me that teams don't go for onside kicks before they are forced to. Shock and awe rather than awe shucks.

JustChip

Reaction score
I feel 180 degrees the other way. I think Fassel takes way to many gambles and risks. He did it again last Sunday in addition to these dumb returns by going for a block and nearly getting a roughing penalty.

Too bad if special teams isn’t quite exciting enough for him. I prefer smart and safe.
Agree 100%. Your defense just made a stop and you’re getting the fricking ball back for the offense. They only ways that can turn from positive to negative is to either rough the kicker or a fumble on the return. Both are turnovers and huge momentum swings. I can understand taking the risk if you need to create a scoring opportunity and energize the team, but that wasn’t needed Sunday. That’s the issue with this coaching staff - they take risks where the risk/reward balance is way skewed to the risk side.