Booger says Zeke 1 in his book

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There were times where Columbo's man-power scheme was getting Zeke some push and openings for him to get thru,
but we flat just did not see that extra gear to pull away like we experienced from him as a rookie in 2016.

His first 2 years we saw Zeke take quick screens out of the backfield and take it to the house for long distance TDs ala Steelers/Niners
Why doesn't he no longer have that ability any more ?

Without an off season program, no time for trainers and coaches to evaluate and re-condition him up close, i'm concerned
that we still will not see the 2016-2017 Zeke.
And until i see differently from an insider source or zeke himself, i'll continue to elebrerate that the Garrett regime re-conditioned
and bulked up Zeke for more excessive touches and more of a grinder role.

i've heard several that tend to think it was his holdout Cabu cruise that caused him the loss of his breakaway ability but that
element was already missing in 2018,.. with only one carry over 40 yards (per Seattle reg season game?)

-I agree with you that Garrett and the prior staff had him bulk up more to be able to become more of a work horse grinder type of back. Zeke usually starts off slow every season as the team limits his touches in the pre-season. Clearly the loss of camp last year affected his conditioning and took him longer to get in shape.

-It is clearly evident that Zeke hasn't been as explosive as he was as a rookie. He is just 24 years old, the question is, if he transforms his body to become more leaner, can that explosion return? The other thing we have to factor in was if he was playing hurt. We have seen players who miss camp suffer from soft tissue injuries, could that be the case here? It's possible. I do believe his explosion can return, but it's probably unlikely to happen this season due to missing the entire off-season.

-With the return of the zbs and the new offensive scheme it's more about quick hitting then it's about power. It's up to this new staff to decide what weight, what conditional program is best for Zeke to be able to play to up to his strengths.

CWR

Reaction score
Zeke is a beast. All things considered Id probably rather have Barkley but there isn't a compelling argument against Zeke. The only thing keeping him from being a clear #1 is the missing second gear we were treated to his rookie season. Although many of us still have trust issues with Zeke off the field, hopefully that is behind him now.

shabazz

Reaction score
i agree with booger. zeke's the best. in an even trade, there is no running back i would take for zeke.

Agree. And part of me thinks hes got even more ability than hes showing. If we ever get 100% from him its gonna be scary good.

With McCaffrey I think we are seeing someone exceed his natural talents and willing his way to greatness.

DFWJC

Reaction score
NFL.com’s and NFL HoF running back , LaDamian Tomlinson came out with his ranking.
He likes Zeke too.

He had Zeke 2nd overall behind only McCaffery

quickccc

Reaction score
-I agree with you that Garrett and the prior staff had him bulk up more to be able to become more of a work horse grinder type of back. Zeke usually starts off slow every season as the team limits his touches in the pre-season. Clearly the loss of camp last year affected his conditioning and took him longer to get in shape.

-It is clearly evident that Zeke hasn't been as explosive as he was as a rookie. He is just 24 years old, the question is, if he transforms his body to become more leaner, can that explosion return? The other thing we have to factor in was if he was playing hurt. We have seen players who miss camp suffer from soft tissue injuries, could that be the case here? It's possible. I do believe his explosion can return, but it's probably unlikely to happen this season due to missing the entire off-season.

-With the return of the zbs and the new offensive scheme it's more about quick hitting then it's about power. It's up to this new staff to decide what weight, what conditional program is best for Zeke to be able to play to up to his strengths.

Yet once again, ..several keep bringing up that hold out... but zeke was already showing signs of losing his once patented Ohio state
explosiveness that he entered the league in 2016 with.
Only one carry over 40 yards in 2018, (vs Seattle) ..which had nuthin to do with his training camp hold out in 2019.

Cebrin

Reaction score
McCaffrey, Henry, Chubb were all better than Zeke last year. Kamara and Barkley are also probably better than Zeke.

how long has it been since Zeke took one to the house?

I love how we split hairs around here. :D They're all different backs, and all top of the league. Zeke after partying is still better than 90% of the league. Congrats to us for having a stud.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yet once again, ..several keep bringing up that hold out... but zeke was already showing signs of losing his once patented Ohio state
explosiveness that he entered the league in 2016 with.
Only one carry over 40 yards in 2018, (vs Seattle) ..which had nuthin to do with his training camp hold out in 2019.

His lack of explosive plays is something to watch. With an improved passing game, less defenders in the box, Zeke should have great opportunities to still remain a big factor within the offense. I do believe the return to the zbs will also help his game, will it allow him to create more chunk plays? It's wait and see. I think all the talk about him not being an elite back has him motivated. MM is smart enough to know he has a talented back and must finds ways to create more big play opportunities for him.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Cowboy fans hating on Zeke are in company of Max Kellerman and Skip Bayless.......oh and a few anonymous coward scouts. I think the verdict is in lol

quickccc

Reaction score
His lack of explosive plays is something to watch. With an improved passing game, less defenders in the box, Zeke should have great opportunities to still remain a big factor within the offense. I do believe the return to the zbs will also help his game, will it allow him to create more chunk plays? It's wait and see. I think all the talk about him not being an elite back has him motivated. MM is smart enough to know he has a talented back and must finds ways to create more big play opportunities for him.

i've re-watched 2019 Cowboys - and thats; why i continue to say why i really like the pass game aspect of Kellen Moore, he really emphasizes
pushing the ball vertically so either the field is spread out, spaced out in the defense to better defend these shots , ...or they pay the price in giving up these chunk yard plays. there was nuthin' dink and dunk about Kellen's pass game.

If we keep pushing that kind of vertical game, then that 8th man cannot commit as much to the box to stop the run, but we have to make them
pay for putting 8 man in the box.

BTW, that Zeke is 11th ranking by an unknown NFL executive is total BS, either that's someone that for his position, doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, .. or that's yet another guy that has some kind of personal bias against Zeke ..and you know we have plenty of both types here. :omg:

fivetwos

Reaction score
As much as I cant stand him personally, I think he deserves a bit a of a benefit of doubt considering the disaster of a scheme (if you can call it that) that was in place under Garrett.

He was out of shape last year, he admitted it himself, so let's hope for the best.

I just dont think he prioritizes football over being young and rich and a celebrity and whatever.

After all, in Dallas, you've already won without winning. Jerry will convince everyone of that.

Cebrin

Reaction score
The thing is, once you get past an 8 man box, it's mostly an open field. More guys in the backfield for receivers means less chances of breaking a big one, but still plenty of yards. Stacking the box is an attempt to force 3rd downs for run heavy teams. Zeke overall has done pretty well regardless of what front he faces, and now we've shown we can pass well, too. Adding Lamb is just going to make teams hate facing us. If our defense can crack even top 15, we'll be a nightmare this season.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Anything below top 3 is just people being silly.

Reality is over a period of even 2-3 years he is going to rate top 3.
If you wanna judge him harshly you can find ways but that holds true with anyone.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Anything below top 3 is just people being silly.

Reality is over a period of even 2-3 years he is going to rate top 3.
If you wanna judge him harshly you can find ways but that holds true with anyone.

Agree, no way he is below 3. Some on here have John Riggins over him now.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The thing is, once you get past an 8 man box, it's mostly an open field. More guys in the backfield for receivers means less chances of breaking a big one, but still plenty of yards. Stacking the box is an attempt to force 3rd downs for run heavy teams. Zeke overall has done pretty well regardless of what front he faces, and now we've shown we can pass well, too. Adding Lamb is just going to make teams hate facing us. If our defense can crack even top 15, we'll be a nightmare this season.

A power back like Zeke would be licking his chops if he sees DB's trying to tackle him. It's quite the opposite, he would have better chance of making a chunk play if he gets past the box defenders.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
As much as I cant stand him personally, I think he deserves a bit a of a benefit of doubt considering the disaster of a scheme (if you can call it that) that was in place under Garrett.

He was out of shape last year, he admitted it himself, so let's hope for the best.

I just dont think he prioritizes football over being young and rich and a celebrity and whatever.

After all, in Dallas, you've already won without winning. Jerry will convince everyone of that.

He has shown his immaturity off the field, but he has been very productive on it. I think last year's numbers are a little off, due to the team being behind so often in which Dak's numbers were more inflated. Zeke late in ball games is an excellent closer, but they need to play ahead of the scoreboard to utilize him in this role.

Cebrin

Reaction score
A power back like Zeke would be licking his chops if he sees DB's trying to tackle him. It's quite the opposite, he would have better chance of making a chunk play if he gets past the box defenders.
That's exactly what I said... As would any runner.... Like say Saquon, who has no QB worth mentioning.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i've re-watched 2019 Cowboys - and thats; why i continue to say why i really like the pass game aspect of Kellen Moore, he really emphasizes
pushing the ball vertically so either the field is spread out, spaced out in the defense to better defend these shots , ...or they pay the price in giving up these chunk yard plays. there was nuthin' dink and dunk about Kellen's pass game.

If we keep pushing that kind of vertical game, then that 8th man cannot commit as much to the box to stop the run, but we have to make them
pay for putting 8 man in the box.

BTW, that Zeke is 11th ranking by an unknown NFL executive is total BS, either that's someone that for his position, doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, .. or that's yet another guy that has some kind of personal bias against Zeke ..and you know we have plenty of both types here. :omg:

Lack of explosive plays or not, he still is considered a top 5 back in this league. I hope he reads all the negative press and shows everyone on the field that he belongs in that elite company.

zerofill

Reaction score
Still think Zeke,McCaffrey, and Chubb are the best right now... as far as injury related, these guys don't miss games either. One of the reasons Zeke doesn't get long runs is because he often looks for contact.

This past season he wasn't head hunting as much. But, that usually shortens the career a lot as well.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I love how we split hairs around here. :D They're all different backs, and all top of the league. Zeke after partying is still better than 90% of the league. Congrats to us for having a stud.
You’re right. The question becomes are you satisfied with the 90% or do you want the full 100%? I want the full 100%.