101-Connor McGovern, OG
135-Paul Perkins, RB
189-Jay Lee, WR
212-Cory James, LB
216-DeAndre Elliott, CB
217-De'Vante Harris, CB

MrPhil

Reaction score
I could live with it but my main concern would be Lynch making it to #15. I am partially expecting him to go Top 10 at this point.

Just hate that we couldn't or wouldn't move up to #2 to secure Wentz.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...Just hate that we couldn't or wouldn't move up to #2 to secure Wentz.

Really? A trade up from 4 for our second-favorite QB would be about the only way we could screw up the #4 pick in my book.

Sydla

Reaction score
Really? A trade up from 4 for our second-favorite QB would be about the only way we could screw up the #4 pick in my book.

Are you assuming Goff is our favorite?

If Wentz is the guy, you go get him if you don't think he'll fall to 4.

Sydla

Reaction score
Goff-LA
Wentz-SF or Phi trade
Ramsey-SD
Trade to Tenn-Tunsil
Dallas gives #4(1800) & #67 (255) = 2055
Dallas gets the Titans #15 (1050) #33 (580) & 43 (470) = 2100
15-Paxton Lynch, QB
33-Kevin Dodd, DE\L
34-Kenny Clark, DL
43-Karl Joseph, S
101-Connor McGovern, OG
135-Paul Perkins, RB
189-Jay Lee, WR
212-Cory James, LB
216-DeAndre Elliott, CB
217-De'Vante Harris, CB

I'd rather keep the third and just get the 43rd and 45th picks from the Rams. If we have to throw in a 4th or couple of 6th round picks to even it out, fine.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like it but I am not a Dodd fan.I would ratherchavw Ogbah who has more upside.

MrPhil

Reaction score

To be fair, my position is based on an assumption that they do view him as a legit, potential franchise QB. Certainly if they don't feel that way, I would not support a move up or even a selection at #4.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you assuming Goff is our favorite?

If Wentz is the guy, you go get him if you don't think he'll fall to 4.

Yeah, I assume Goff is the favorite. But even so, I wouldn't seriously consider paying what it'd likely cost to move up for either of these two.

I'd take either at #4 regardless who else was on the board, though.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, I assume Goff is the favorite. But even so, I wouldn't seriously consider paying what it'd likely cost to move up for either of these two.

I'd take either at #4 regardless who else was on the board, though.

I don't think the cost from going to 4 to 2 is as big as you think.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the cost from going to 4 to 2 is as big as you think.

If SF and/or PHI are serious about moving up themselves it will. It all depends what the rest of the league wants to do.

But in a nutshell, I don't mind spending a 1 on a QB, even if we're overdrafting him to make sure we get a guy we think we can develop. But missing on back-to-back 1st round picks is the kind of thing that sets your team back years. We've made that mistake before in Dallas. I think Goff's a fairly safe pick as QBs go, but he's no sure thing. Wentz is another story altogether. If we're going to run a risk on a guy who needs time to develop, I'd rather take the rougher prospect in Lynch and put the time in there. Whiff on him and you just have to find a QB option elsewhere. Still not a small task, but at least you've only whiffed the once.

Sydla

Reaction score
If SF and/or PHI are serious about moving up themselves it will. It all depends what the rest of the league wants to do.

But in a nutshell, I don't mind spending a 1 on a QB, even if we're overdrafting him to make sure we get a guy we think we can develop. But missing on back-to-back 1st round picks is the kind of thing that sets your team back years. We've made that mistake before in Dallas. I think Goff's a fairly safe pick as QBs go, but he's no sure thing. Wentz is another story altogether. If we're going to run a risk on a guy who needs time to develop, I'd rather take the rougher prospect in Lynch and put the time in there. Whiff on him and you just have to find a QB option elsewhere. Still not a small task, but at least you've only whiffed the once.

I think people are also overestimating the desire and likelihood that Philly and San Fran will move up. Remember, Chip doesn't run the show in San Fran like he did in Philly. If he were in charge, sure, I could see the 49ers doing something stupid and giving up the farm for the 2nd pick. But their GM seems a bit more levelheaded and realizes he needs a rebuild and that takes picks.

The Eagles would have to mortgage a ton to move up and if they missed on that pick, they'd have cooked their franchise and their head coach.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think people are also overestimating the desire and likelihood that Philly and San Fran will move up. Remember, Chip doesn't run the show in San Fran like he did in Philly. If he were in charge, sure, I could see the 49ers doing something stupid and giving up the farm for the 2nd pick. But their GM seems a bit more levelheaded and realizes he needs a rebuild and that takes picks.

The Eagles would have to mortgage a ton to move up and if they missed on that pick, they'd have cooked their franchise and their head coach.

Maybe. It's hard to say. But with the Rams coming up from #15 all the way to #1, stranger things have happened. You've got a Superbowl champion that doesn't have a starter, and a Jets team. too, who's looking at the ugly end of a Hoyer v. Fitz standoff. There are teams out there who ought to be willing to deal at least more than I'd be comfortable giving up to move up two spots.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Goff-LA
Wentz-SF or Phi trade
Ramsey-SD
Trade to Tenn-Tunsil
Dallas gives #4(1800) & #67 (255) = 2055
Dallas gets the Titans #15 (1050) #33 (580) & 43 (470) = 2100
15-Paxton Lynch, QB
33-Kevin Dodd, DE\L
34-Kenny Clark, DL
43-Karl Joseph, S
101-Connor McGovern, OG
135-Paul Perkins, RB
189-Jay Lee, WR
212-Cory James, LB
216-DeAndre Elliott, CB
217-De'Vante Harris, CB

I've been working on my 7 rounder full mock this morning...And think this is the Cowboys dream scenerio....Will this happen? I seriously doubt it because the Rams/Titans trade really squewed the price for a QB market....and I just don't see Lynch sliding to 15. I really would be shocked. Somebody would make a move to jump and get him IMO. Too many teams need a QB. Right now...Dallas is sitting in a pretty good spot to get one of the big 3 @ QB. I can see us trying to get cute and trading down though...still thinking we will end up w/ a QB...and having it blow up in their face.

Smart thing is to suck it up....take Lynch @ #4....And be glad you got a QB to build around. This is our chance to change the direction of the franchise moment. Don't mess it up:mad:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Yes. The cost is too high for QBs who might not pan out.

I'd make that sacrifice for a sure thing (although who would trade that pick), but not for these QBs. They are being overdrafted as is.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
tumblr_n8rfruhO6L1tv4k5po1_400.gif

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. The cost is too high for QBs who might not pan out.

I'd make that sacrifice for a sure thing (although who would trade that pick), but not for these QBs. They are being overdrafted as is.

Yep. At these prices, we could take three chances on the best of the Lynch/Bridgewater/Carr types for what it would cost for one Goff.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I'd rather keep the third and just get the 43rd and 45th picks from the Rams. If we have to throw in a 4th or couple of 6th round picks to even it out, fine.

I'd like to keep the 3 also. But the math makes more sense this way

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

If those two don't trade up cleveland might still take him. Dallas trading to 2 I don't think is very likely although risen would be doing the running man if they did move up for Wentz:dance:

Last edited: