Boston Herald: Law, Belichick renew family feud: At odds over bonus pay

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Law, Belichick renew family feud: At odds over bonus pay
By Kevin Mannix/ Patriots Notebook
Friday, August 20, 2004

FOXBORO - Even though Ty Law [news] was back on the practice field yesterday, the relationship between the Pro Bowl cornerback and coach Bill Belichick [news] is apparently not so warm and fuzzy anymore.

It's not back at the low point where it fell during the winter when Law called Belichick a ``liar'' following a dispute over contract negotiations. But those camera shots of coach and player smiling and chatting casually before practice may not be seen again in the near future.

Money is, not surprisingly, at the root of the dispute. Specifically, their earlier ``misunderstanding'' regarding negotiations over a new contract. While Law repeatedly took verbal shots at his coach in the offseason, Belichick refused to publicly respond, saving his retort until now when he delivered a hit to Law's wallet.

Law's absence from practice for several days earlier in the week was supposedly a reaction to his learning that the team was not going to pay him a $106,000 workout bonus for his offseason preparation.

Technically, Law has no beef. He didn't qualify for the bonus because he worked out on his own out of town, rather than with the rest of the players in Foxboro. Usually working out under the supervision of team officials is a prerequisite for earning a bonus.

But Law has been the exception to the rule, receiving the bonus because he showed up for training camp in terrific condition. That much didn't change this year. He showed up for the start of camp in as good a shape as he's ever been, expecting to receive the bonus.

Johnson confident

Ted Johnson [news], who missed eight of the first nine games last season because of a leg injury and only returned to practice on Wednesday after missing most of training camp with the ever-popular ``undisclosed injury'' is confident he can contribute to the Pats defense.

``I just know what I can do,'' he said after yesterday's practice, only his third of the summer. ``I'm still here after 10 years. I must be doing something right for them to sign me to a new (three-year, $4.8 million) contract last year.

``I still feel secure. I'm still confident. I'm not cocky but I do feel that what I do is an asset to the team and that I'm here for a reason. I intend to stay here. My role stays the same. I'll do what I do best - play the run, be a physical presence out there and be a good zone and man defender. I'll continue to play to those strengths as long as they let me.''

How much longer that goes on is the question, as Johnson knows.

``I also know this is a league of youth,'' he said. ``There are new guys coming in and out all the time. That's out of my control.''

Players work overtime

Yesterday's workout was the longest practice of the preseason, lasting nearly 30 minutes beyond the scheduled two hours. One possible reason for the extra work was the agitation displayed by Belichick because of subpar performances.

At one point he dispatched the defensive unit, including coach Pepper Johnson, who was running the scout team, on a lap around the practice field.

A couple of minutes later, he called the entire squad together in the middle of the field. It was impossible to hear what he was saying but it was obvious the final practice of training camp did not go as well as he had hoped. . . .

Veteran receiver J.J. Stokes was back at work, doing what he's done all summer, making big catches, particularly down near the goal line. . . .

Russ Hochstein, who started the Super Bowl at left guard, is getting some serious competition for that spot from veteran Bob Hallen. The former Falcon and Charger, who was signed as an unrestricted free agent in the offseason, has also been getting work at center and right guard.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=40674

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Thats going to go over well.

Get him here already. I can't wait for that PC :D

btw - Brown not allowed to practice and not told why yesterday.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Technically, Law has no beef. He didn't qualify for the bonus because he worked out on his own out of town, rather than with the rest of the players in Foxboro. Usually working out under the supervision of team officials is a prerequisite for earning a bonus.

But Law has been the exception to the rule, receiving the bonus because he showed up for training camp in terrific condition. That much didn't change this year. He showed up for the start of camp in as good a shape as he's ever been, expecting to receive the bonus.

"Technically", he has "no beef".

But "past practice" wise , he certainly does.

This will be interesting Nors, but get over it. Even if Ty ends up OUT of NE, he won't end up IN Dallas He still will want too much moolah.

Forget CB, start scouting up a RT, will ya? :p

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
"Technically", he has "no beef".

But "past practice" wise , he certainly does.

This will be interesting Nors, but get over it. Even if Ty ends up OUT of NE, he won't end up IN Dallas He still will want too much moolah.

Forget CB, start scouting up a RT, will ya? :p

Can move over in a pinch. BP will give Tucker and Rogers some more rope.

We have the $ to Pay Law, its the draft pick that is the sticking point.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Law keeps strike short
By Michael Felger/ Patriots Notebook
Saturday, August 21, 2004

FOXBORO - While cornerback Ty Law [news] is once again at odds with Bill Belichick [news] over issues pertaining to his contract, Law has not continued his wildcat strike.

Law made the trip with the team to Cincinnati last night for tonight's preseason game against the Bengals.

According to soures familiar with the situation, Law sat out several days of pratice early in the week over a dispute regarding workout bonus money in his contract. Law has a $106,000 bonus for completing offseason workouts. According to one source, it is written in Law's contract that if he completes his usual spring program with track coach Bob Kersee, he is entitled to that bonus money. And in the past, Law has been paid every year.

This year, he has not been. A source close to Law said Law is 100 percent healthy and the days missed were a result of the dispute.

Law returned to practice Thursday, and the fact he's with the team now clearly indicates he has no intention of staging a substantial walkout. ;)

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:
Can move over in a pinch. BP will give Tucker and Rogers some more rope.

We have the $ to Pay Law, its the draft pick that is the sticking point.

We do NOT have the money to pay Law, remember when we went through this last time?

Law will cost 10 MILLION PER YEAR!

He is scoffing at 6 million per at NE, so let's run some numbers.

You suggested a 15 million signing bonus for 4 years, that is 3.75 million per year.
Factor in that base of at least 6 million and..... ;)

We'd have over 25 million going to DBs, not gonna happen.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
We do NOT have the money to pay Law, remember when we went through this last time?

Law will cost 10 MILLION PER YEAR!

He is scoffing at 6 million per at NE, so let's run some numbers.

You suggested a 15 million signing bonus for 4 years, that is 3.75 million per year.
Factor in that base of at least 6 million and..... ;)

We'd have over 25 million going to DBs, not gonna happen.

WRONG, WRONG AND WRONG

He wants a $12 -15 mill bonus - that gets amortized over 3-5 years. He's 30, and we can fit that into our cap easily.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:
WRONG, WRONG AND WRONG

He wants a $12 -15 mill bonus - that gets amortized over 3-5 years. He's 30, and we can fit that into our cap easily.

RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT.

The bonus does not include his salary. He ain't playin for free Nors. He's making 6 million a year. Any way you cut it he'd count around 10 million against the cap.

Here is what he costed NE last year.

2003 Patriots $ 4,900,000 $ 0 $ 1,205,600 $ 6,105,600 $ 8,806,965 CB

His base is 4.9 he has a roster bonus of 1.2 his salary for 2003 was 6.1 Million.
He counted 8.8 million against the cap.

Split that 12-15 in half + that base of 4.9.

Over 5 years 2.7 + 4.9 = 7.6 million per year.

Over 4 years 8.28 million per year.

Over 3 years 9.4 million per year.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
minimum required

blindzebra said:
RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT.

The bonus does not include his salary. He ain't playin for free Nors. He's making 6 million a year. Any way you cut it he'd count around 10 million against the cap.

Here is what he costed NE last year.

2003 Patriots $ 4,900,000 $ 0 $ 1,205,600 $ 6,105,600 $ 8,806,965 CB

His base is 4.9 he has a roster bonus of 1.2 his salary for 2003 was 6.1 Million.
He counted 8.8 million against the cap.

Split that 12-15 in half + that base of 4.9.

(minimum required)

When the player gets a $15Million $ deal the team gets a break on front end salary. Ty is getting back end $ on his old 7 year deal. Pats cap # has nothing to do with how we do his deal. And yes that Cap # for Pats is why he has already been conditionally offered out of town.......

5 years at $15M bonus = $3M cap hit

He would only get a vet min type $1M salary. So we could get Law for a $4M cap hit. You are wet on a $10M # - jmo

Only SIGNING BONUS IS GUARANTEED - not salaries.

Over 5 years 2.7 + 4.9 = 7.6 million per year.

Over 4 years 8.28 million per year.

Over 3 years 9.4 million per year.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors,

The guy keeps complaining about MONEY, yet you keep saying he's going to play for us for vet minimum.

Why? Most times a veteran player plays for cheap they do it to win a ring, well....

He made over 6 million last year, NE offered him a bonus that would have paid him over 12 million this year and he *****ed about it.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Nors,

The guy keeps complaining about MONEY, yet you keep saying he's going to play for us for vet minimum.

Why? Most times a veteran player plays for cheap they do it to win a ring, well....

He made over 6 million last year, NE offered him a bonus that would have paid him over 12 million this year and he *****ed about it.

Its about the SB - Pats instead of counteroffer - took the FB and went home. No negotiations.

Law will like all players do, take reduced upfront salary to get a big upfront Signing bonus! :p

Law can be had for a 4-5 CAP HIT - 10M is still wet

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
Its about the SB - Pats instead of counteroffer - took the FB and went home. No negotiations.

Law will like all players do, take reduced upfront salary to get a big upfront Signing bonus! :p

he wants out of Pats land and to ink the Dallas deal. Replay the CB play last night. Just accept the fact that this has to happen.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:

It's not worth it, but a guy making over 6 million a year is NOT going to play for 900,000.