Signed by Cowboys Boys working deal with DE Benson Mayowa - *Signs Offer Sheet*

birdwells1

Reaction score
Oh, I think it will. It's another player helping to shore up a weak spot that may allow them to push DE to a 2nd-4th round target area instead of 1st. If they can sign a CB and a RB as well, I still think that says QB in round 1.

What is it about his 2 career sacks gives you that idea? IOW he has 2 more sacks than a dead man.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
What is it about his 2 career sacks gives you that idea? IOW he has 2 more sacks than a dead man.

It's simply more depth at a weak spot. I'm sure they want a DE or two out of this draft but with Mayowa on board, they may feel they don't have to pull the trigger on one at 4. They appear to be shoring up all the glaring weaknesses and to me that points to the possibility that they are thinking QB at 4. Anything is possible and they could go in 3 or 4 directions but you don't draft in the top 5 very often and they have done nothing to protect against another Romo injury. It just make me think they may be leaning QB in the 1st.

Plankton

Reaction score
giphy.gif

birdwells1

Reaction score
It's simply more depth at a weak spot. I'm sure they want a DE or two out of this draft but with Mayowa on board, they may feel they don't have to pull the trigger on one at 4. They appear to be shoring up all the glaring weaknesses and to me that points to the possibility that they are thinking QB at 4. Anything is possible and they could go in 3 or 4 directions but you don't draft in the top 5 very often and they have done nothing to protect against another Romo injury. It just make me think they may be leaning QB in the 1st.

Don't take this the wrong way but this sounds contradictory, there's nothing about an acquisition of depth that correlates to who we pick at 4. Acquiring a guy with 2 career sacks should have nothing to do with who we pick in the first, second, or third round.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If it means no Mincey I am happy, if it means no early draft pick for the dline it is delusional.

I think it only means the first one, and that Dallas doesn't absolutely have to spend the first-round pick on an end because it can start Mayowa there if necessary.

I think this signing shows that Dallas plans to draft a DE early, but protects them in case something happens and they can't.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way but this sounds contradictory, there's nothing about an acquisition of depth that correlates to who we pick at 4. Acquiring a guy with 2 career sacks should have nothing to do with who we pick in the first, second, or third round.

It's simply not as glaring of a weakness now. That's all. That being so may allow them to feel they can't pass up a chance to get a QB at 4 because now they don't necessarily need an instant starter at DE. If they feel a rotational type DE from this draft is acceptable now, they can turn their attention elsewhere at 4 and get the DE later.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
With Terrell McClain, David Irving, Ryan Russell, Randy Gregory and probably another draft pick it doesn't look too bad.

The depth across the defense is actually really good. We have lots of LB and CB. We just need more front line talent.

Maxmadden

Reaction score

This also smacks of McClay. He seems to have a feel for the depth players at the NFL level. I will be happy with 6 sacks and a QB in waiting.