News: Brad Biggs: Notebook: Bears had snap count for Ratliff

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggs: 10 thoughts after Bears' loss to Vikings

5. By my tracking, defensive tackle Jay Ratliff was last on the field with 12:04 remaining in the fourth quarter when the Vikings ran a first-down play from their own 47-yard line. The Vikings ran 39 plays, including snaps with penalties, the rest of the way but Ratliff was an onlooker as the Bears created a “pitch count” for him. Playing in his first game in more than 12 months, the team wanted him around 20 snaps and I tallied up 23 for him during the game.

“There was a snap count,” Ratliff said. “It felt good to be back. We were trying to be smart about it and not just throw me out there and take all of the reps but try to monitor them and just go from there. It definitely felt good. I am ready to move on to the next (game).”

You can bet Ratliff is very much looking forward to what is next, a clash with his former team -- the Cowboys -- on Dec. 9 at Soldier Field. Ratliff parted with the Cowboys under tense circumstances and he’d surely like nothing better than to deal their playoff aspirations a blow while working to showcase himself for the Bears and 30 other teams when looking ahead to 2014. Ratliff, who was credited with one assisted tackle in press box statistics, will be a free agent at the end of the season.

6. There is no way to feel good about the Bears’ defensive effort after Adrian Peterson rolled up 211 yards and rookie wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson scored on a 33-yard carry. But I thought incremental improvements were made over the lousy effort the week before in St. Louis when much-less-heralded backs Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham steamrolled the Bears. Peterson was bottled up at times but the Vikings gave him a career-high 35 carries and he showed why he was the league’s MVP a year ago.

The pass rush had a spark, especially in the first half when Christian Ponder was knocked out with a concussion, and the Vikings converted only 4 of 17 third-down attempts. Now, Minnesota had scoring drives of 90, 81, 89 and 79 yards and that’s not acceptable. Creating turnovers remains a problem and Khaseem Greene’s pick of a bobbled pass to tight end Rhett Ellison (on what should have been a touchdown) was the only takeaway.

More: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...oughts-chicago-bears-20131202,0,3264897.story

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MINNEAPOLIS — Defensive tackle Jeremiah Ratliff played 23 of the Bears' 86 defensive snaps in his team debut Sunday in the 23-20 overtime loss to the Vikings.

"It felt good to be back," he said. "I am ready to move on to the next" game.

A serious groin injury that required surgery sidelined Ratliff since Nov. 18, 2012. The Bears signed the four-time Pro Bowl lineman on Nov. 2 with hopes he could bolster one of the NFL's worst run defenses.

Coach Marc Trestman said the Bears would limit Ratliff's snaps against the Vikings as he worked back into action. Ratliff afterward said he felt he could handle more work.

NFL statisticians credited him with one assist.

"I thought he did some really good things out there," defensive lineman Corey Wootton said. "He hasn't played football in awhile, but as the season goes on, you're going to see him be more and more impactful in there and get more snaps. He's definitely a force out there, really stout in the run, and he did some good things in the pass game. It was good to have him out there."

More: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1202-bears-bits-20131202,0,3609025.story

Fredd

Reaction score
OK, everyone sing along with me:

"Jeremiah was a bull**** (artist); wasn't bad on the Line....got into a heated match with Jerry Jones and found himself ridin' pine"

morasp

Reaction score
Ratliff parted with the Cowboys under tense circumstances and he’d surely like nothing better than to deal their playoff aspirations a blow while working to showcase himself for the Bears and 30 other teams when looking ahead to 2014.

I don't understand what Ratliff is so upset about. He made a lot of money for doing almost nothing his last year here. The only thing I can think of is he's mad because they didn't put him on IR so he could keep it going.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
OK, everyone sing along with me:

"Jeremiah was a bull**** (artist); wasn't bad on the Line....got into a heated match with Jerry Jones and found himself ridin' pine"

"Jeremiah was a bull-frog, was a friend ..."
No, sorry. No friend of mine.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Why has there been no discussion on recouping that SB? I know it is a legal matter and Rat playing so soon must help JJ in some way?