bradie james -- what now?

JPostSam

Reaction score
okay, so let's assume that ware and spencer are on the outside, with ayodele and carpenter are on the inside.

(sounds good to me, by the way!)

does bradie james have trade value? do we have to cut him, and if so, what kind of cap hit would that be?

JPostSam

Reaction score
he's a DEPTH GUY at his huge salary? nuh-uh... burnett is a depth guy right now. james is an unjustifiable contract... unless he somehow plays like superman in training camp. then they just put all the linebackers' names in a hat and pick the starting four by chance.

T-New41

Shut 'em Down
Reaction score
Hopefully he can improve his play under Phillips, or hopefully we can cut/trade him w/ minimal impact to our team.

sago1

Reaction score
Don't forget that we've hired Dat Nguyen as as asst LB coach. I'm hoping with the new 3-4 scheme Phillips employs along with Dat's working with James, James at least becomes the player he was in 05 (that's not saying much).

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
JPostSam;1477022 said:
he's a DEPTH GUY at his huge salary? nuh-uh...

Ummmm... uh HUH.

What's better to do, keep starting James (and put a better player on the bench) just cuz of his high salary, or bite the bullett (aka admit the mistake) and bench him?

We can:

A. Bench him at a high salary and pay a lot of money for a player not starting or...

B. Cut him and STILL take a big cap hit for a guy not starting.

I choose A cuz at least we'd have an experienced backup (for a year).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bradie's contract isn't bad. He's paid like a solid backup, possible starter. That's exactly what he is. Al Singleton made more last year than Bradie will this year. How this "Bradie James' contract is huge" story came about, I'll never know.

burmafrd

Reaction score
we made a mistake- we thought James fine year in 2005 meant that he had arrived and was going to be a solid player for us and we payed him appropriately. OOOPPPPPPSSSSS. Mistakes like that happen. Now with Spencer we can move Carp inside and shore it up.

mwj473

Reaction score
theogt;1477043 said:
Bradie's contract isn't bad. He's paid like a solid backup, possible starter. That's exactly what he is. Al Singleton made more last year than Bradie will this year. How this "Bradie James' contract is huge" story came about, I'll never know.

Bradie's contract is 5 years, $20 million, w/$8 million of it a signing bonus. That is a lot more than a typical backup. I do think we keep him this year for sure either as the starter or quality depth, then next off season, the questions about him leaving should start.