Brandt: Key Matchup: Dallas QB Tony Romo vs. Washington QB Jason Campbell

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas QB Tony Romo vs. Washington QB Jason Campbell

Few matchups are bigger winners for the fans and the broadcasting network than a night game in Washington against the hated rival Cowboys. Among the many interesting notes pertaining to this rivalry: The Cowboys' first-ever regular-season road win came in Washington in 1961 before a crowd of 21,142; Tom Landry earned the last if his 250 career wins in Washington in 1988; and the Commanders' current coach, Jim Zorn, signed with Dallas as an undrafted free agent in 1975.

Romo has missed the last three games with a broken pinkie. Prior to that, he had 14 TD passes -- which is still tied for third in the NFC -- and a passer rating of 103.5. He has outstanding athletic ability and is one of the more intriguing success stories in recent NFL history. Romo has a quick release, good arm strength and accuracy, and somewhat of a risk-taking tendency that will get him into trouble. He was the NFC's starter in the Pro Bowl last season.

Campbell is emerging as a top quarterback in the league, and he has been aided a great deal this season by a very good running game (Washington is fourth in rushing offense). Campbell has a very strong arm and improving accuracy -- which is very important in the Commanders' version of the West Coast offense. Campbell, who did not throw an interception in his first eight games this season, has a quick release and is very good at avoiding pressure. That said, he does have trouble with the blitz and will make some mistakes when pressured.

Another key matchup in this game: Cowboys WR Terrell Owens versus Commanders CB Carlos Rogers. In the Week 4 meeting between these teams, Owens had 18 passes thrown to him, catching seven for 71 yards and one TD. Rogers lined up against Owens all over the field in that game, and he most likely will do the same here. The Commanders have allowed only two 100-yard receiving games this season.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2419203 said:
Another key matchup in this game: Cowboys WR Terrell Owens versus Commanders CB Carlos Rogers. In the Week 4 meeting between these teams, Owens had 18 passes thrown to him, catching seven for 71 yards and one TD. Rogers lined up against Owens all over the field in that game, and he most likely will do the same here. The Commanders have allowed only two 100-yard receiving games this season.

I listen to Brandt on Sirius radio. He has the best stories about players in the league from different eras through the present, but it is so obvious that he does not watch the games closely or is able to remember them.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
I hate when they see that the key matchup is between two offensive players.

They don't play directly against each other. I would say, Cowboys defense vs Jason Campbell and Commanders defense vs Tony Romo.

You want to see if the defense can slow the quarterback down.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It seems the WCO suits Campbell pretty well. He's have a really good season considering his talent level.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
theogt;2419250 said:
It seems the WCO suits Campbell pretty well. He's have a really good season considering his talent level.

I would have to say the running game has saved Campbell this season. I would like to see how Jason does against a defense that shuts down the run and then is able to take away his first option on passing downs.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
goliadmike;2419290 said:
I would have to say the running game has saved Campbell this season. I would like to see how Jason does against a defense that shuts down the run and then is able to take away his first option on passing downs.

If Campbell has to throw (i.e. no success in the running game) and a defense takes away his first option (see Steelers, Pittsburgh) he is done. That guy reads defenses like a kindergardener reads a pop-up book... slowly, slack-jawed and with lots of blinkless stares.

Some QB's have "it" (like Romo) and some don't have "it" like Campbell. As a matter of fact... Jason so lacks "it" that I bet when he goes to the bathroom, he takes a shhhhh.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2419303 said:
If Campbell has to throw (i.e. no success in the running game) and a defense takes away his first option (see Steelers, Pittsburgh) he is done. That guy reads defenses like a kindergardener reads a pop-up book... slowly, slack-jawed and with lots of blinkless stares.

Some QB's have "it" (like Romo) and some don't have "it" like Campbell. As a matter of fact... Jason so lacks "it" that I bet when he goes to the bathroom, he takes a shhhhh.

I hear ya AsthmaField. I know we have to mix up the defenses to keep their offense off balance, but if I see too many plays with the Corners off the line and have to watch the Commanders dink and dunk us to death I may end up destroying my new T.V.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
All that matters from the last game is... Campbell led his team to victory and Romo didnt.

That has to change and we are good.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard on one of the Internet radio shows (The Lunch Break maybe) that 76% of Campbell's completions are for less than 10 yards. Yeah, he's a dinker and dunker all right.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2419493 said:
I heard on one of the Internet radio shows (The Lunch Break maybe) that 76% of Campbell's completions are for less than 10 yards. Yeah, he's a dinker and dunker all right.

Understood.

But I will take dink and dunk passes of less than ten yard and wins (2 dink passes = 1st down :))

over

taking too many chances and turning the ball over

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
YoMick;2419488 said:
All that matters from the last game is... Campbell led his team to victory and Romo didnt.

That has to change and we are good.

Even with Romo back, I feel the key to winning tomorrow night the defense has to step and do their job (carrying out their assignments and TACKLING THE MAN WITH THE BALL). I have a feeling Romo may be a little rusty and who knows how accurate he will be with that splint.

I know you have stated this in the past and like you I want to see the scrambling play making Romo rather than the pocket passing Brady/Romo we have seen this year.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
goliadmike;2419540 said:
Even with Romo back, I feel the key to winning tomorrow night the defense has to step and do their job (carrying out their assignments and TACKLING THE MAN WITH THE BALL). I have a feeling Romo may be a little rusty and who knows how accurate he will be with that splint.

I know you have stated this in the past and like you I want to see the scrambling play making Romo rather than the pocket passing Brady/Romo we have seen this year.

We are in total agreement. We need the defense to do its part... it cant come down to Romo trying to win it all the time. Defenses pin their ears back and then it gets dangerous.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
YoMick;2419549 said:
We are in total agreement. We need the defense to do its part... it cant come down to Romo trying to win it all the time. Defenses pin their ears back and then it gets dangerous.

I have little faith in this defense. They scare the crap out of me. Since the Giant game I'm going to hope for the best but expect the worst.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
goliadmike;2419577 said:
I have little faith in this defense. They scare the crap out of me. Since the Giant game I'm going to hope for the best but expect the worst.

I have some faith in the defense.

I think part of the problem for the defense is the offense.

We need to be more methodical with our drives... we need to sustain drives.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
YoMick;2419589 said:
I have some faith in the defense.

I think part of the problem for the defense is the offense.

We need to be more methodical with our drives... we need to sustain drives.

I hope so I'll keep my fingers crossed.