Breakouts: Young veterans who could have a breakout year

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is clear that the philosophy of the Cowboys front office is to build the roster almost exclusively through the “draft and develop” model. Although I believe we are missing out on adding some key free agents, we have done a pretty good job of drafting and most players we’ve selected have at least contributed if not as starters, as good depth and STs players.

So, since we have not added any big impact FAs, who among our young veterans - the players we’ve drafted the last couple of years - have developed to the point of having a breakout years. Just to clarify, I’m not including this year’s rookies, because they haven’t had a year of developing yet.

With that in mind, here are the young vets I believe have the best chance to breakout as major contributors in 2024:
  • DeMarvion Overshown- 2023 Draft LB- before his knee injury last August, Overshown flashed a little in TC and preseason games. He needs to add some bulk and show he can run stuff better, but his speed and athleticism make him a great developmental project. He already has excellent coverage skills. Hoping Mike Zimmer can coach him up.
  • John Stephens Jr- TE- an UFA in 2023, Stephens also suffered a knee injury in a ps game. He has excellent speed and ball skills but like Overshown needs to bulk up a little and improve as a blocker as he only weighed about 220 last year. He might be an excellent option as the third TE behind Ferguson and Schoonmaker.
  • Jalen Tolbert - WR Drafted in 3rd round in 2022. Was a big disappointment as a rookie in ‘22, but he improved last year as a backup, playing in all 17 games, making 22 receptions and 2 TDs. He’s never going to be a star but I could see him catching around 40 passes next year and becoming a reliable third receiver.
  • Damone Clark - LB drafted in 5th round in 2022. Clark has already been a starter but I expect him to show major improvement in ‘24. He can fly to the ball quickly but has been too easily blocked in the running game. Another guy Zimmer should be able to coach up.
  • TJ Bass and Brock Hoffman- OL - I listed them together because they should be the key backups for the OL this year. Hoffman can play C and Bass showed some decent play last year as a guard. They both can be excellent depth pieces for the OL.
Who are the young veteran players you see as potential breakouts this coming season?

jwitten82

Reaction score
It is clear that the philosophy of the Cowboys front office is to build the roster almost exclusively through the “draft and develop” model. Although I believe we are missing out on adding some key free agents, we have done a pretty good job of drafting and most players we’ve selected have at least contributed if not as starters, as good depth and STs players.

So, since we have not added any big impact FAs, who among our young veterans - the players we’ve drafted the last couple of years - have developed to the point of having a breakout years. Just to clarify, I’m not including this year’s rookies, because they haven’t had a year of developing yet.

With that in mind, here are the young vets I believe have the best chance to breakout as major contributors in 2024:
  • DeMarvion Overshown- 2023 Draft LB- before his knee injury last August, Overshown flashed a little innTC and preseason games. He needs to add some bulk and show he can run stuff better, but his speed and athleticism make him a great developmental project. He already has excellent coverage skills. Hoping Mike Zimmer can coach him up.
  • John Stephens Jr- TE- an UFA in 2023, Stephens also suffered a knee injury in a ps game. He has excellent speed and ball skills but like Overshown needs to bulk up a little and improve as a blocker as he only weighed about 220 last year. He might be an excellent option as the third TE behind Ferguson and Schoonmaker.
  • Jalen Tolbert - WR Drafted in 3rd round in 2022. Was a big disappointment as a rookie in ‘22, but he improved last year as a backup, playing in all 17 games, making 22 receptions and 2 TDs. He’s never going to be a star but I could see him catching around 40 passes next year and becoming a reliable third receiver.
  • Damone Clark - LB drafted in 5th round in 2022. Clark has already been a starter but I expect him to show major improvement in ‘24. He can fly to the ball quickly but has been too easily blocked in the running game. Another guy Zimmer should be able to coach up.
  • TJ Bass and Brock Hoffman- OL - I listed them together because they should be the key backups for the OL this year. Hoffman can play C and Bass showed some decent play last year as a guard. They both can be excellent depth pieces for the OL.
Who are the young veteran players you see as potential breakouts this coming season?
I think Overshown is gonna disappoint people. He probably will start camp on the PUP list, then he has to get over that injury mentally

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Overshown is gonna disappoint people. He probably will start camp on the PUP list, then he has to get over that injury mentally
Very possible. Knee injuries for guys who are speed based are often the slowest to regain confidence.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see Schoonmaker making progress this year.
As well Fehoko on the DL. He was drafted for this reason. They basically redshirted him last year.
Yeah I think Schoonmaker is a good candidate. He will never be spectacular but he started last TC with a nagging foot injury. I expect him to develop into a solid if not stellar TE.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Kinda agree. "Disappoint" in that people have way high expectations for a guy coming off that injury. Probably should bring him along slowly and see if he's ready down the stretch for a playoff push. Then hopefully he and the defense won't be "tired" come playoff time. Lol.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kinda agree. "Disappoint" in that people have way high expectations for a guy coming off that injury. Probably should bring him along slowly and see if he's ready down the stretch for a playoff push.
Yeah, probably PUP. Or we will get the line about him working on the sidelines with the trainers to start TC.
It is what they usually do. John Stephens may be the same.

I am sure once OTA's and mini camps start and are done. We will get the, "they are expected to be ready by TC", line.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mazi Smith and Sam Williams must emerge to legit starters as 1st and 2nd round picks.
I probably should have included Mazi. I don’t think he’s as bad as he appeared last year. He will probably never be a star but he could still develop (along with others) into a solid middle clogger. Something this team hasn’t had since…the 90s?

And in all fairness, Mazi was basically a 2nd to 3rd round talent who was taken too early.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
:facepalm:

You clearly never watched Overshown in college. He had his injuries but immediately came back and performed on the field. Dude is a fighter.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Sea Bass is already proven in my opinion. He'll be a quality guy here for several seasons.

All the others need to have good years as we are heavily reliant on liking our guys more so than is typical for the JonesBoys.

jwitten82

Reaction score
:facepalm:

You clearly never watched Overshown in college. He had his injuries but immediately came back and performed on the field. Dude is a fighter.
Oh, he had acl injuries? Because thats exactly the same as other minor injuries, right?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I don’t know how they are going to use Overshown. I think they likely view him as Kendrick’s eventual replacement.

Kendrick’s and Clark are probably the starters with Parsons lining up all over the place.

Mazi is the one that could transform the defense.

Carson

Reaction score
I don’t know how they are going to use Overshown. I think they likely view him as Kendrick’s eventual replacement.

Kendrick’s and Clark are probably the starters with Parsons lining up all over the place.

Mazi is the one that could transform the defense.
Overshown should play outside. Marist will kick inside next year likely per LB Coach Scott McCurley

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Guyton pick seems to have made people forget about Asim Richards.

Wouldn’t shock me if he starts at LT week one.

If there’s one thing to be excited about it’s the depth on the OL, and they finally seem to be ahead of something by adding youth.

Chasing6

Reaction score

• DeMarvion Overshown- 2023 Draft LB- before his knee injury last August, Overshown flashed a little in TC and preseason games. He needs to add some bulk and show he can run stuff better, but his speed and athleticism make him a great developmental project. He already has excellent coverage skills. Hoping Mike Zimmer can coach him up.
Tolbert and Sam Williams. Just on increased opportunities alone should have significantly improved results.

The one we need the most to is Mazi.

Last edited: