Breer on the herd Cowboys HC situation

Gadfly22

Reaction score
It's a very rare college coach who succeeds in the NFL without first having worked in the NFL as an assistant. Cowboys fans are a bit biased owing to the success of Jimmy Johnson, but even his success came with a roster built before the salary cap began in 1994. The college game looks like NFL football, but it's a very different game.

I have no interest in another Chip Kelly, Lou Holtz, John McKay, Bobby Petrino, Mike Riley, Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier. I'd much prefer a rising young assistant from an NFL team who knows how a professional football team is organized (with no 125-man rosters and dealing with limited active game-day rosters), knows how to communicate with men making hefty salaries and knows how the game is played on a professional level.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If Riley wants to keep Moore I'm more than cool with it.

But I want him to keep Moore because he wants to not because Jerry told him to.
Well, you will never know and it will be discussed for ages that Jerry forced him on him.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
So short sited...

Well, he is from OU. Yep, he’s the guy...

Why not pair Kellen with Petersen??

Look at what Petersen has done throuought his career. Talk about getting his teams to overachieve.

BSU used to always get 2 and 3* recruits, but Pete always got his team jacked up for big games, prepared great gameplans, and actually wins the bowls he plays in...

Didn’t Riley lose his last two bowls? Did he lose a NY6 to UCF?? That’s just sad...

Petersen doesn’t seem the NFL type to me. Not saying he wouldn’t be a good coach as I believe he would but he doesn’t seem the type to want to deal with the million dollar babies.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
It's a very rare college coach who succeeds in the NFL without first having worked in the NFL as an assistant. Cowboys fans are a bit biased owing to the success of Jimmy Johnson, but even his success came with a roster built before the salary cap began in 1994. The college game looks like NFL football, but it's a very different game.

I have no interest in another Chip Kelly, Lou Holtz, John McKay, Bobby Petrino, Mike Riley, Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier. I'd much prefer a rising young assistant from an NFL team who knows how a professional football team is organized (with no 125-man rosters and dealing with limited active game-day rosters), knows how to communicate with men making hefty salaries and knows how the game is played on a professional level.

Then you’d love Greg Roman.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Riley isn't going to want to keep Moore. That would come from Jerry and be a clear sign that it's doomed to fail.

Give me somebody who makes Jerry compromise and if that isn't possible then I don't give two craps who the head coach will be.

EJK24

Reaction score
I'm happy to replace Garrett but the idea that Riley doesnt have an extensive background makes me wonder who they would get to help fix this defense. I don't see anyway your getting Rivera to take a DC position for a first time head pro coach. I could be wrong but Riley needs to have a defensive staff he wants and not what sounds good to us. And with Moore, I hope hes gone too. Let the new coach pick his own people. This idea of tying Riley or anyone else to Moore and any other coach he doesnt want/hand pick himself just sets up the puppet label. First bad game it will be Riley is a puppet because our offense sucks and its because he was forced to keep Moore.

Start fresh if your firing the head coach. That's my opinion.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Why would Riley take THIS job...even if he wants to move to the NFL? At OU he has complete control of the roster, for the most part gets to pick the players he wants, is always in contention for a championship and makes as much (or more) than JG. Why come to Dallas to have less power for the same money?

OU will be good for several years...he'll get another chance.
The same reason Parcells came... It's the Dallas Cowboys. Regardless of how Jerry's relationship is with his HCs, there still is a very powerful allure to coach the Cowboys.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
What is the point of bringing in new blood to the NFL if you are going to saddle them with assistants who erode the new coaching ability to do new coach things?

Other than beat terrible NFL teams, I don't see Moore as being special. The pre-snap movement, which seemed to confused the defenses abruptly went away when the going got tough. So where is this new cutting edge Offensive Coordinator game planning and out coaching the other side? Where is this young gun who makes in game adjustments and totally stymies the defense of the other team?

Moore was Linehan part 2, as far as it looked.

If the point it to bring new thinking into the locker room, then why force assistants on the new head coach?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Riley isn't going to want to keep Moore. That would come from Jerry and be a clear sign that it's doomed to fail.

Give me somebody who makes Jerry compromise and if that isn't possible then I don't give two craps who the head coach will be.

elW7lgEVIcRwI.gif

MikeB80

Reaction score
I really hope this doesn't happen. This would really drain whats left of my enthusiasm for this organization.

on the bright side It would be more motivation to ignore the entire offseason and not listen to all the fake reports about this or that.

This guy is destined to be our Chip Kelly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really hope this doesn't happen. This would really drain whats left of my enthusiasm for this organization.

on the bright side It would be more motivation to ignore the entire offseason and not listen to all the fake reports about this or that.

This guy is destined to be our Chip Kelly.

Who's your preferred candidate?

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Riley as head coach and Rivera as defensive coordinator would be an elite combination.
That’s my number one combination right now. You can even replace Riley with Meyer. Would be fantastic, IMO.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Breer said Cowboys have affinity for Lincoln Riley. This follows what Finebaum said months ago. If they go this direction which I would welcome, a good indicator of how his tenure might go would be how many, if any, assistants Jerry forces on him. Jerry is said to want to keep Moore. I want a coach with the juice to name his own staff not another puppet that wants the job.
I agree. Riley needs to make the decision. Jerry forced Garrett on Wade, he can't make the same mistake again.

erod

Reaction score
If Riley wants to keep Moore I'm more than cool with it.

But I want him to keep Moore because he wants to not because Jerry told him to.
Why would Riley keep Moore? Riley would be hired to run the offense and call plays like he does at OU. Moore could perhaps be QB coach, but I doubt he'd step down like that.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I'm happy to replace Garrett but the idea that Riley doesnt have an extensive background makes me wonder who they would get to help fix this defense. I don't see anyway your getting Rivera to take a DC position for a first time head pro coach. I could be wrong but Riley needs to have a defensive staff he wants and not what sounds good to us. And with Moore, I hope hes gone too. Let the new coach pick his own people. This idea of tying Riley or anyone else to Moore and any other coach he doesnt want/hand pick himself just sets up the puppet label. First bad game it will be Riley is a puppet because our offense sucks and its because he was forced to keep Moore.

Start fresh if your firing the head coach. That's my opinion.
This ... New coach should hire own staff in entirety

erod

Reaction score
So short sited...

Well, he is from OU. Yep, he’s the guy...

Why not pair Kellen with Petersen??

Look at what Petersen has done throuought his career. Talk about getting his teams to overachieve.

BSU used to always get 2 and 3* recruits, but Pete always got his team jacked up for big games, prepared great gameplans, and actually wins the bowls he plays in...

Didn’t Riley lose his last two bowls? Did he lose a NY6 to UCF?? That’s just sad...

Peterson runs a pass-happy college style offense with very little focus on the running game. The QB is never under center, and the running back is basically just the 6th receiver. It's a bunch of west coach crap that was really effective against weak teams in the west.

Puke.

Riley runs a pro style offense with tons of formations. The QB is under center plenty, and it's a RUN first offense, coupled with both short routes and a lot of deep balls. He built TRANSFER Baker Mayfield and made him the Heisman winner and first overall player drafted. Then, he did the same with TRANSFER Kyler Murray. Now, he's suddenly turned TRANSFER Jalen Hurts into a real passing quarterback for the first time. What could he do with Dak perhaps?

Riley lost his last two PLAYOFF games to Georgia and Alabama. They were way up on Georgia before Stoops defense collapsed, and Bama was just better.