Twitter: Brett Hundley visiting Cowboys

ItzKelz

Reaction score
As a back up I can dig it. For me it's more about experience and what he adds to the QB room before game day. At least guy shared a room with Aaron Rodgers and is familiar with how Big Mac operates.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I saw some Cardinal highlights of him last night on the local news and was an impressive scrambler outside the pocket. I’d rather have a mobile guy like that than a statue. Here is another I found

jrumann59

Reaction score
you cant go by #s lol.
GG had only been on the team a few weeks, no TC no offseason, no starting reps till the week he had to start, was still learning the offense,
and no familiarity with the off players.
He should be much better by the time sept rolls around, and also could get some playing time in PS.
All that matters.
You also cannot go off his only real action in the NFL in 6 years. Steelers sleep walked through that game because they saw Gilbert Grape was the QB. I am sure there are multiple reasons this guy has not stuck in the league, dreaming of Kurt Warner type revival is just that, a dream.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about just going with Gilbert who is already on the roster.
Gilbert is almost 33 and has never landed anywhere in the NFL for long. He’s way overrated here because he made a few plays vs Pitts last year in a game where the opponent had little time to prepare for him. He started off that game pretty hot but as the game progressed, he became more ineffective.

I think the bar in Dallas is so low for many fans because we haven’t been that good in so long. If a guy has a good half, many fans think that guy’s good enough. I would rather see us find a younger guys with more upside. In the end, if we are depending on the backup a lot it probably means we aren’t having a good season anyway.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
He’s a McCarthy guy. Gilbert is good but he will be 30 in July. Not sure how they view him long term
30 isn't the new grampa for a QB in the NFL.

He's got at least 10 no more years. Easily.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel like people confuse the fact that we were competitive in the Steelers game with thinking Gilbert played particularly well. Thing is: he didn't really. He completed 55% of his passes and had a passer rating of 72. Those are both bad numbers in this day and age. Just 3rd stringer stuff. Which was fine in 2020 when our 1st and 2nd stringer were both injured. But penciling him in at #2 to begin with seems bad to me.

He's an okay backup-to-the-backup option in a pinch. He didn't totally wilt and he allowed the team to compete, which is fine. But we should really have much more interesting irons in the fire. Gilbert should be roughly what he was in 2020, which was a Plan C or Plan D type of option. Him being Plan B heading into camp behind the #1 guy (especially in a year when the #1 is coming off a nasty injury) seems like a bad call. But who knows, maybe he looked amazing in practice and the team thinks he only performed poorly in the Steelers game because of the caliber of the defense.

It's sad to me that we didn't bag a really good backup QB this year. We were in a position where we might have been able to pull off what New Orleans got into the habit of doing in recent years, where they pulled arguably the best possible backup several times because guys who were on the fringes between backup and starter knew that it was a cushy offense to play in and knew there was a decent chance they'd get a nice little showcase if Brees missed any bit of time.

With our cushy offense (Dalton was able to manage a passer rating in the high 80's and the 2nd best completion percentage of his entire career despite playing behind mostly 2nd and 3rd string linemen) and our starting QB coming back from a severe injury, I wished we'd landed a serious player with starting aspirations (and good starting experience to boot) who saw the upside in potentially getting a chance to step in and look like a starter here if he sees the field. A guy who figured he'd come here, maybe get a nice 4-game showcase at some point, look like a starter and land himself a fat contract.
That's a good writeup, but Gilbert had not been with the team and didn't have much time to get comfortable or acclimated. There was too much chaos in the Oline. I thought he did well at key moments under pressure and stats do not always tell the story. I get it that he's a journeyman. We do need a vet backup with experience, because we don't really know how Dak is going to hold up or even if he is able to start.

erod

Reaction score
Brett Hundley is one of the worst NFL quarterbacks I've ever witnessed.

jnday

Reaction score
How about just going with Gilbert who is already on the roster.
They probably know that Gilbert’s play last season was a happy accident that will not be repeated. Gilbert has made his rounds in the league without ever playing as well as he played with Dallas. Odds are not good for Gilbert to play that well again, so they will always look to upgrade the position.

Qcard

Reaction score
. Yuck. I would rather sign Jeff Driskel or just go with GG.

Can't they bring someone formidable??!

Our starting QB doesn't have leadership issues.

This front office lacks imagination

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I had a feeling all along Hundley was going to get a serious look. McCarthy draft him as heir apparent to Rodgers and actually played in games when Rodgers was hurt.

mrmojo

Reaction score
As a back up I can dig it. For me it's more about experience and what he adds to the QB room before game day. At least guy shared a room with Aaron Rodgers and is familiar with how Big Mac operates.
So did Danica Patrick, I'd rather have the Cowboys sign her......

rambo2

Reaction score
They probably know that Gilbert’s play last season was a happy accident that will not be repeated. Gilbert has made his rounds in the league without ever playing as well as he played with Dallas. Odds are not good for Gilbert to play that well again, so they will always look to upgrade the position.
Gilbert pretty much has never been given a chance to play.