"Brisket on a Stick" & Berkey Balls

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
My butcher got in some prime beef ribs that we couldn't pass up. The name, "Brisket on a Stick" comes from that's exactly how you trim, season and cook'em.

beefribs1.jpg
beefribs2.jpg
beefribs3.jpg
beefribs4.jpg

These are "Berkey Balls". Quite simply equal parts ground beef and turkey, mixed w/ about 2-parts cheese. Season w/ what you see in the pic, wrapped in bacon, and smoked at 250-275 until they hit internal temp of about 145.
berkey1.jpg
berkey2.jpg
berkey3.jpg
berkey4.jpg
berkey5.jpg
berkey6.jpg

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
That food looks amazing dude, nice! When I clicked on the thread I was expecting some backwoods State Fair food "on a stick" but didn't know it was a term applied to prime beef ribs. Cool pics - my Instant Lunch doesn't seem as fulfilling now...

a.stovall2

Reaction score
I think I'm pretty good on the grill/smoker but you my friend is obviously pretty damn good. Not only does your food probably taste amazing it looks amazing which is always the hard part.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
What I want to know is, how any people do you feed? I mean with the turkey and duck you just made and now all this food? And I'm sure there are side dishes also.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice compliments guys. I obviously love to cook. I better, it's paid the bills for a long time! ;)

What I want to know is, how any people do you feed? I mean with the turkey and duck you just made and now all this food? And I'm sure there are side dishes also.
I live in a neighborhood where my ally-entry driveway and 2 immediate neighbor's, feed into a cul-de-sac of 4 houses. All 5 of the 7 of us have lived here a minimum of 15-16 years. The 7 of us in various numbers, all spend a lot of time together, especially sharing meals, house, pet or kid-sitting. So, mass quantities of food being fixed by someone, is the norm.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow! Pure awesomeness! You are my new hero! Thanks for sharing!

:D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
My butcher got in some prime beef ribs that we couldn't pass up. The name, "Brisket on a Stick" comes from that's exactly how you trim, season and cook'em.

beefribs1.jpg
beefribs2.jpg
beefribs3.jpg
beefribs4.jpg

These are "Berkey Balls". Quite simply equal parts ground beef and turkey, mixed w/ about 2-parts cheese. Season w/ what you see in the pic, wrapped in bacon, and smoked at 250-275 until they hit internal temp of about 145.
berkey1.jpg
berkey2.jpg
berkey3.jpg
berkey4.jpg
berkey5.jpg
berkey6.jpg

You are good at this.

Keifer

Reaction score
You sir have a gift. I was going to try out the berkey balls today along with a pork shoulder but I woke up to find a couple inches of snow on my smoker so I guess it will have to wait until next week.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Tang Cu Bai Cai (Sweet and Sour Cabbage)

Chinese

Not certain which province this comes from. This is a very easy dish to prepare and goes well with rice, bread and delicate dishes like fish. I eat it with most anything though. Makes a good second or third dish. This is a delicate dish so don't overpower it.

Napa or Chinese cabbage
rice vinegar-not dark
salt
sugar
ginger
hot pepper
cilantro stems
garlic
Chinese onions (green or spring)

Preparation:

Slice cabbage thin. These are broad slices of the stem of the cabbage after cutting away the leaf. This is not en chiffonade merely one to two inches very thin slices. Place whole leaf on cutting board. Remove the leafy part with the tip of your knife. I use a cleaver for all this. Place the broad end away from your left hand holding to the board. Start near the end and start shaving slices off. I have tried this with a chefs knife but it works best for me with a standard but sharp cleaver. I know this sounds real picky but you can't get a sweet non-crunchy piece otherwise.

I use fresh herbs. Cut into thin slices. Cut cilantro stem bayonet. Don't prepare much to much pepper. You just want a hint of it as this is a 'sweet' and 'sour' dish. Mix vinegar with sugar.

Heat thin wok on high and lightly cover bottom with oil when hot. I use canola. Add herbs until the aroma is released then add cabbage. Don't let herbs burn as this puts a dark tint to your dish. Stir fry cabbage. If it seems too hot add a bit of water and let it steam some or just cut it down. Add salt to taste while stir frying cabbage. Add vinegar and sugar. I can't tell you how much as different vinegars need more or less sugar esp if you substitute Splenda. Taste as you finish cooking adding sugar and or vinegar. You don't want it overcooked but it must be tender and the thinness helps. Add cilantro at the end.

Serve warm although cold isn't bad on a hot day as a salad substitute.

PS: I've added cashews to this and sliced almonds which worked well. You can also make a thick white sauce for this by putting tapioca and water solution in the wok after you remove your cabbage. You can serve this over the dish or on the side.