Broaddus: Grading Weeden’s Play, Larry Foote’s Impact; More Notes

RS12

Reaction score
Here are my notes from the film:

• Usually on film you can see some positives, even when a player has a poor game. In the case of Brandon Weeden, I cannot say that.

Like I had offered all week in my stories and opinions, I believed Weeden would have been fine with the offensive game plan and the execution of it. There were the practices in training camp, to the preseason games and the emergency duty against the Commanders last Monday that gave me hope that with better offensive talent around him, Weeden he would not struggle against the Cardinals -- but he did.

Weeden wasn’t the same quarterback we observed in those other opportunities I spoke of --matter of fact, he was more similar to the one that was in Cleveland. He stared down his receivers, he wasn’t accurate with his throws and he had costly turnovers. What surprised me the most about his game was how many plays he left on the field. The Cardinals are not going to give you much on defensive, but when they did make a mistake and he had a receiver win in coverage, he had a hard time finding him.

I don’t believe you can put this on Arizona and the pressure they create because they only blitzed him thirteen times, with six of those taking place in the fourth quarter. The line, tight ends and backs gave him enough time to make throws but he just couldn’t get it done and that is on him.

• I thought it was a difficult day for Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams and the film showed that was the case. Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie were up to the task with some occasional help from Tony Jefferson and Rashad Johnson buzzing into the flat underneath. The officials allowed both of the Cardinals corners to be physical on the outside up to and past the five yard zone.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...weeden’s-play-larry-foote’s-impact-more-notes

RS12

Reaction score
Usually on film you can see some positives, even when a player has a poor game. In the case of Brandon Weeden, I cannot say that.

www.MessenTools.com-Humor-jijiiji.gif
That left a mark.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Welcome to the spotlight, Mr. Weeden. Broaddus laying down the wood.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I had a buddy over for the game (cowboys fan) and before the game he said weeden is better than Orton. After the game he was comparing him to Ryan left lol

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hold on, "scout's eye", .....so you're saying Weeden played poorly?

I have to write this stuff down.

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
I believe 45 Dallas Cowboys played well enough to beat a good AZ Cardinal team on SUN.
One member of the team didn’t. He didn’t have 4, 5 or 6 bad throws/decisions like when Tony has a "bad game". He was bad on almost every dropback while the game was still undecided. Even a couple of the throws that appeared to be "good" weren’t because he threw to the wrong (less open) receiver. I don’t know how that game could be watched and thought that Dustin Vaughan wouldn’t have done a better job.
If it were me I would, as soon as the Jag game was over be on the phone with Caleb Hanie to get him back on the roster and let Weeden go. Hanie would have the bye week to get back acclimated with the offense.

Fredd

Reaction score
Imagine the "fun" I had going into work with all of the snarky eagle fans saying things like "how did you like first place for one week?"

Broomstick handle > Weeden

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
As I was watching the game I thought there were several times Beasley was open, but he never got a look.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I was watching the game I thought there were several times Beasley was open, but he never got a look.

Yes, he was open often and sometimes WIDE open with plenty of room to run. T. Will was open at times, but Weeden picked the occasions when he was double covered to throw him the ball.

itsaboat

Reaction score

This happens even when Romo is playing. Beasley can get open at will yet he's usually the 3rd or 4th read. It really doesn't matter the way Weeden was throwing for 90% of the game. He would have missed him by a mile.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Yes, he was open often and sometimes WIDE open with plenty of room to run. T. Will was open at times, but Weeden picked the occasions when he was double covered to throw him the ball.

This even happens to the Beas some when Tony is QB. Is he so small they can't see him?

The coaches need to make him an earlier read in the progressions he is always open.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This even happens to the Beas some when Tony is QB. Is he so small they can't see him?

The coaches need to make him an earlier read in the progressions he is always open.

Weeden is 6-4 and Beasley was open right in front of him. It would be a better argument that Romo might not see him with Romo being 6-2, but at 6-4 it should be much easier for Weeden to see him.

daveferr33

Reaction score
The only thing that is surprising here is that the Cowboys thought he was a serviceable #2.

Reminds me of when they thought Brad Johnson was a serviceable #2.

I wonder if its the same guy making that same mistake?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was garbage in Cleveland. He is garbage here. There's a 50-50 chance he's our starter next year. :(

Our starter here next year? Where did that come from? He will be lucky to be on anyones 53 and I would bet against it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing that is surprising here is that the Cowboys thought he was a serviceable #2.

Reminds me of when they thought Brad Johnson was a serviceable #2.

I wonder if its the same guy making that same mistake?

I'm betting this was a case of a guy playing well in practice and camp with no pressure on him, and then him getting the yips in the game and locking in on WRs. There was too much buzz about the team being pleased with Weeden's play all year for this to be the expected outcome.

And Weeden's played well in spots for us, too. Not just last week, but the first preseason game he came out and played really well, if you'll remember. He got worse in games two and three and then better again in the last game, if I recall correctly. This is the reason why Garrett's always saying the guy has the tools but needs more reps. It's hard enough making the transition from a spread offense where you're working on the fundamental mechanics of the drops under center.

That's not an excuse for Weeden, either. I don't think you can afford to have a veteran backup who's capable of freezing up under pressure and blowing a hole in your season like that. Especially on a team where we had good protection and a very good running game and got a good defensive effort. Even moderate QB play and we probably win this game starting midway through the third quarter. We had multiple opportunities on possessions that were squandered by bad QB decisions compounded by bad QB throws.