Broaddus: McFadden’s Solid Play, McClain’s Struggles Among Thoughts

RS12

Reaction score
1) We knew that, coming into this game, there was going to be a willingness byMatt Cassel to throw the ball down the field. We also knew that by playing this way there were going to be the possibility of turnovers. What I didn't expect was his willingness to attack the Giants’ best cornerback, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He is the one corner that, if the ball is late or the receiver runs a poor route, he can make a play. The Cowboys would have been better off going at Jayron Holsey or Trevin Wade, especially with the way these receivers have struggled to get open.

2) This was the Darren McFadden that I was hoping would have been the starter for this club. He finished runs, he showed vision and he was solid in the passing game. I have always believed that he is the most complete running back on this team, and for at least one game, he actually proved me correct.

3) Give this Dallas offensive line some credit. The Giants came into the game with one of the best run defenses in the league and the Cowboys offensive line hammered them. It just goes to show that when you have a running back who is willing to attack and blockers that get hats-on-hats, there is an outstanding chance to see the offense have the same success running the ball like they did last season. This was the best sign of the game, in my opinion.

4) Very disappointed in the way that Rolando McClain played in this game, especially in the first half. There were too many snaps where he looked out of position and struggling to get his run fit. His hands to the face penalty gave the Giants points, and it appeared on the big pass play to Rueben Randle that McClain’s drop was poor, which allowed the ball to go behind him.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...among-thoughts?campaign=sf14539831+sf14539831

RS12

Reaction score
Sounds like Broaddus thinks Street might get cut when Dez returns.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I was very concerned about the Giants working the ball inside on Brandon Carr. They did hit him for a couple of plays going that way, but also got him on some routes down the field. There was really nothing he could do on the one-hand catch by Randle, but it's still disappointing that he is not able to make more plays denying the ball.

Nothing he could do?!?!?
He could have run with the receiver. That's Fundamental Corner Technique 101.
You run with the receiver. Carr stopped while Randle continued.
I'm not a part of the "Cut Carr Crowd," but he clearly screwed up on that play.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nothing he could do?!?!?

Yeah when he turned his head, he seemed to slow up/stop..........

perrykemp

Reaction score
4) Very disappointed in the way that Rolando McClain played in this game, especially in the first half. There were too many snaps where he looked out of position and struggling to get his run fit. His hands to the face penalty gave the Giants points, and it appeared on the big pass play to Rueben Randle that McClain’s drop was poor, which allowed the ball to go behind him.

The team has to hope McClain is shaking off rust. He looks a bit lethargic out there.

I know it was just one play, however, I was shocked to see Giants RB Williams run over McClain during the game. Last year McClain was the one who dishing out the pain.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

He said a receiver might be inactive. Did you interpret that to mean, cut? I thought it meant someone being relegated to the practice squad.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
11) Starting to notice more of Byron Jones at safety with Barry Church playing down in the box. Jones is a much better cover player than J.J. Wilcox and this is likely the coaches way of getting more guys on the field that can handle those responsibilities. We saw the switch with Collins to guard. I believe we are right around the corner of Jones playing full time.

Yes please.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yeah when he turned his head, he seemed to slow up/stop..........

But that's when a corner has to "feel" the receiver. Carr's body is on Randle's body. Even if Carr turns his head, his body is still "pressed" against Randle's. He "feels" Randle running so he should continue running.

Those are the "subtle" techniques of playing corner that separate average and good corners from great corners.

Besides, why the heck is he turning to see the ball when Randle is still streaking down the sidelines? You go with the receiver. If an underneath receiver catches the ball, you'll hear the roar of the crowd or you'll feel Randle has stopped running, and you act accordingly.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Nothing he could do?!?!?

I am part of the cut Carr crowd. But, I don't think there was much he could do because the throw was nearly perfect and it was a perfect catch. Even if he was right on Randle, the ball would have been caught.

That still doesn't excuse Carr for his technique on that play. But, a perfect throwing beats perfect coverage every time.

YR

sportsman

Reaction score
I am part of the cut Carr crowd. But, I don't think there was much he could do because the throw was nearly perfect and it was a perfect catch. Even if he was right on Randle, the ball would have been caught.

That still doesn't excuse Carr for his technique on that play. But, a perfect throwing beats perfect coverage every time.

YR

No ints by this group of DBs is killing this team

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
No ints by this group of DBs is killing this team

Yup. And no fumbles.

I really didn't expect much in INT's because Eli is dink-n-dunking it out there. But part of playing these zone concepts is that you have good enough tacklers to jar the ball loose.

YR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did?

9) I will be interested to see who is the inactive receiver when Dez Bryant comes back, possibly next week. It looks like that both Devin Street and Bryce Butler made some key plays for the offense, which was long overdue. But was it enough to save a job? Keep an eye on how that might play out this week.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Nothing he could do?!?!?

No, BB is correct. There is NOTHING Carr can do right except possibly make the tackle.

I still think he should cover the best WR on the opposing team but only with help. Let Claiborne play the 2nd best WR (on the opposing team) one-on-one.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yup. And no fumbles.

I really didn't expect much in INT's because Eli is dink-n-dunking it out there. But part of playing these zone concepts is that you have good enough tacklers to jar the ball loose.

YR

They are playing a lot more man this season from what I see.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
How'd we win games last year?

We ran it very well, threw it very efficiently and were positive on the turnover ratio.

We did the first very well yesterday, we threw it okay but had some INT's and forced zero.

We do not need Dez or Tony to beat the Giants, but they clearly would've helped, as would've fewer TO's on O and a couple on D.

The only positive on got was our running game is on track and this team was still fighting until the Weasley fumble.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nothing he could do?!?!?

Carr is pretty mediocre but in this case he "stopped" because he got pushed off.
The league is allowing that nonsense hand fighting to go on so it wasn't called but it is a 50/50 deal at best.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

YR

I don't think it was the perfect throw. If Carr is step for step with him, he at least is able to break up a pass that is caught by Randle with one hand. At least that's my opinion.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No, BB is correct. There is NOTHING Carr can do right except possibly make the tackle.

I still think he should cover the best WR on the opposing team but only with help. Let Claiborne play the 2nd best WR (on the opposing team) one-on-one.

Again, I disagree. Randle makes the catch with one hand. You can defend a one-hand catch if you're in the right position. Carr is step for step with Randle, then he slows down allowing Randle to get distance on him. Even then, the pass doesn't drop into Randle's hands. He has to reach out for it with one hand. Great catch, no doubt. But still defensible in my book.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Carr is pretty mediocre but in this case he "stopped" because he got pushed off.
The league is allowing that nonsense hand fighting to go on so it wasn't called but it is a 50/50 deal at best.

I'll have to see the play again to see if the push slowed him down.