Broaduss vs. Mickey

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Broaddus knows his stuff. I remember after lb Jayson Williams was drafted...during camp Brian straight up said that Jayson can't play. People on this board were attacking him but the scout was right.

Oh crap, that's a blast from the past. I completely forgot about that guy.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Micky's favorite is asking leading questions that only he knows the correct answer to-in his mind.

"Why do you think"...

He may be the most annoying semi pro broadcaster I've ever heard. I'm not quite sure why he thinks he's so smart. Experience doesn't always equal knowledge as we can all see.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Two things.

First (and I think the more "seasoned" folks on this board can appreciate this), I'm just glad we have shows like "Talkin' Cowboys" to begin with. Back in the day, if you lived outside the Dallas area, you received no information about the team. Star Magazine was a huge breakthrough, and we poured over every word, even if it arrived as late as Friday after a game. And the Draft Show? Wow, we had to wait until Street & Smith's magazine came out late summer to even find out who the team drafted, and a profile on each player. Now, get off my lawn!

Second. We have a phrase at work that perfectly sums up certain individuals, and while I won't pick sides on this particular fight (Mickey vs. Broaddus), I hope this phrase will resonate and maybe even cause a little smile (because we all know these types of people). And if the phrase doesn't resonate, or make any sense, then you might be one of the people that it applies to:

"Often wrong, never in doubt"

:p;):D:grin:

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Two things.

First (and I think the more "seasoned" folks on this board can appreciate this), I'm just glad we have shows like "Talkin' Cowboys" to begin with. Back in the day, if you lived outside the Dallas area, you received no information about the team. Star Magazine was a huge breakthrough, and we poured over every word, even if it arrived as late as Friday after a game. And the Draft Show? Wow, we had to wait until Street & Smith's magazine came out late summer to even find out who the team drafted, and a profile on each player. Now, get off my lawn!

Second. We have a phrase at work that perfectly sums up certain individuals, and while I won't pick sides on this particular fight (Mickey vs. Broaddus), I hope this phrase will resonate and maybe even cause a little smile (because we all know these types of people). And if the phrase doesn't resonate, or make any sense, then you might be one of the people that it applies to:

"Often wrong, never in doubt"

:p;):D:grin:
Very good point.

There are several Cowboys podcasts. The Break and Talkin, however, are the best imo. Complaining is human nature though and they could be better.

Dundalis

Reaction score
She is making snide comments at his expense. She is an adult, she too can take the high road and be more professional about it. I don't see him as immature. You guys don't like him because he stands up for his opinions.
Not sure why you are defending one guy for standing up for his opinions, but bagging the other guy for doing the same. At least be consistent.
This was great, thanks for the heads up.

Mickey was right, though. And he was irritated because Broaddus was asking the dumb question, and then being condescending when Mickey gave him an answer he disagreed with by telling him he needed to watch the tape. I'd have been cranky with that nonsense, too.

But that AZ defense *was* fast laterally this week, and the OLs were missing on some of their blocks and it blew up those plays. You can expect a back to make a defender miss now and then, or run through a S's arm tackle, but not every play. The blocking mistakes definitely cost Elliott some yardage last week.
Wasn't the question about whether Zeke has lost a step? Or was there a different incident? Because if so, as far as I'm concerned, it's absolutely a pertinent question. Zeke has not been stopped due to lack of running lanes on every single play. Which seemed to be what Mickey was getting at in his response. That said I agree with the criticism of the arrogant way Broaddus responded to his answer, even if it was generic and stepped around the question. He could have just asked Rob if he wasn't happy with the response, or moved on.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
If you respond to "you need to look at the tape" with "I don't need to, I watched the game", in my view you've conceded the argument. Your response lets me know right away that you're a casual observer of the game with no interest in doing the detailed analysis necessary to properly diagnose what transpired. I've heard many coaches refrain from post-game evaluation until they've had a chance to look at the tape. But Mickey doesn't need to?

Fundamentally, I think that's the real issue with Mickey. He holds himself out as an expert while having the knowledge and insight of a dilettante. It's annoying to me and I don't know that I'd claim any greater knowledge of the game than Mickey. It must be that much more annoying to a former professional scout who surely can claim greater knowledge.

So I have no problem with Broadus calling Mickey out on his lack of familiarity with the technical intricacies of the game by telling him to watch the tape. Particularly when Mickey immediately turns around and vindicates the criticism with his response.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus knows his stuff. I remember after lb Jayson Williams was drafted...during camp Brian straight up said that Jayson can't play. People on this board were attacking him but the scout was right.
I have a clock in the spare room that quit working but it's still hanging on the wall.

It's correct twice per day

XDez88BeastX

Reaction score
I have to skip thru when spagnolia talks. i cant stand him he is completely senial, needs to be put out to pasture

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Surprised no one else posted about it but did anyone else catch Broaduss and Mickey arguing on Talkin Cowboys yesterday (9/26 episode)?

Hilarious.

As much grief as Broaduss gets around here I enjoy him going after Mickey's typical stupidity.
CalPolyTechnique--i live in SLO my whole life up through high school..anyway...Mickey is becoming just a hard..a.(blank)...i listen all the time and he seems to enjoy just ripping peoples heads off...and often he is not correct even by those of us who are not NFL phd types

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
CalPolyTechnique--i live in SLO my whole life up through high school..anyway...Mickey is becoming just a hard..a.(blank)...i listen all the time and he seems to enjoy just ripping peoples heads off...and often he is not correct even by those of us who are not NFL phd types

Lived downtown SLO and Morro Bay while in grad school a few years ago. Awesome place; population is a bit homogenous, but overall some of the best times in my life.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Listening to the show the past few days has been hilarious. I think every single take Spagnola made Broadduss has followed up with "I agree with Mickey."

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lived downtown SLO and Morro Bay while in grad school a few years ago. Awesome place; population is a bit homogenous, but overall some of the best times in my life.
yep--grew up SLO..went into navy for 10 years..all overseas in asia pacific..now live in Atascadero...redneck country that i had sworn i would never live...but its a good place

Them

Reaction score
Surprised no one else posted about it but did anyone else catch Broaduss and Mickey arguing on Talkin Cowboys yesterday (9/26 episode)?

Hilarious.

As much grief as Broaduss gets around here I enjoy him going after Mickey's typical stupidity.

...Yeah I actually caught some of that.....and I'm of the opposite opinion about that stupidity.
I'm not a fan of Brian...I wish he go back an be a failed scout for the iggles again!....I will not go into how many times he's been wrong on an issue or a player;
"Talking Cowboys" had a much better format with Mickey an Nate "Football" Newton....but they change it up an brought in Brian.
Brian is very argumentative, and gets irritated when the other host do not agree with his opinions...IMMHO of course!...:star:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...Yeah I actually caught some of that.....and I'm of the opposite opinion about that stupidity.
I'm not a fan of Brian...I wish he go back an be a failed scout for the iggles again!....I will not go into how many times he's been wrong on an issue or a player;
"Talking Cowboys" had a much better format with Mickey an Nate "Football" Newton....but they change it up an brought in Brian.
Brian is very argumentative, and gets irritated when the other host do not agree with his opinions...IMMHO of course!...:star:

Broaddus posted here a few years ago.

I called him out because he said a player was terrible the previous preseason and I pointed out that the player had actually missed that preseason with an injury.

He got really angry and said he would quit doing us (CZ) the favor of posting here.