dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
All I can say is, what a moron.

07/07/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

Source: Broncos punter faces suspension for use of ephedra
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer

Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun recently tested positive for the supplement ephedra and will be suspended for four games, a source close to the situation confirmed Thursday.

The suspension would be served in the first four regular-season games, if appeals don't cause a delay.

Before joining the Broncos in May 2005, Sauerbrun had had his troubles. He was implicated in a Carolina Panthers' steroid scandal and was arrested in December 2004 for drunken driving.

NFL spokesman Steve Alic said Thursday night the league had "no news to report" regarding Sauerbrun.

The Broncos, through a team spokesman, had no comment Thursday evening, per team policy regarding suspensions that are not confirmed by the league. The story was first reported by the website profootballtalk.com after the Broncos' minicamp Thursday.

Ephedra was banned in the fall of 2001 after the death of Minnesota tackle Korey Stringer. The substance, used as a dietary supplement and known for dehydrating the body, was found in Stringer's training camp locker after he died from heatstroke Aug. 1, 2001.

In accordance with NFL policy, first-time positive tests for ephedra result in an automatic four-game suspension.

Sauerbrun was at Denver's minicamp Thursday. He is expected to participate today and Saturday.

If suspended, Sauerbrun could participate in training camp, which begins July 28, but must leave the team during the suspension time. The Broncos open the season Sept. 10 at St. Louis, so any suspension would likely start on Monday, Sept. 4.

Sauerbrun would be able to return to the Broncos Oct. 10 when the team begins to prepare for its fifth game, which is Oct. 15 against Oakland.

Players who are suspended for drug or alcohol policy infractions can continue to work out at team facilities, but players suspended for using banned supplements cannot.

Sauerbrun was one of three Panthers players named
in an investigation of a South Carolina physician accused of writing illegal prescriptions for steroids.
According to a "60 Minutes" report aired in March 2005, Sauerbrun filled prescriptions for a testosterone cream during the 2003 season. The CBS report also said Sauerbrun obtained syringes and the injectable steroid stanozolol. He was not implicated in any lawsuit or disciplined by the league.

After his DUI arrest, Sauerbrun eventually pleaded guilty to driving while impaired during a May 2005 hearing and was fined $100 and placed on a year's unsupervised probation. Charges of speeding and driving while his license was revoked were dismissed.

Denver could sign a veteran punter to compete in training camp if Sauerbrun were suspended. Available punters include Micah Knorr, Kyle Richardson and Mark Royals.

Knorr was cut by Denver in the 2004 season. Second-year Bronco Paul Ernster, who was on the practice squad when he suffered a torn right ACL last September, could start. Youngsters Jeff Williams and Tyler Fredrickson will also be in camp.

Sauerbrun has stayed out of trouble since coming to Denver and is popular in the locker room. He averaged 43.8 yards per punt this season.

Staff writer Bill Williamson can be reached at 303-820-5450 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Sourbuns is a Bronco right?

Then why later in the article does it say that he was one of three panthers named? Was he with the panthers before the broncos?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Yes he was a Panther before he went to Denver.