Browns express interest in a veteran backup and former Browns QB Testaverde

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
because when ever a reporter asked bp about vinnies age or durability, parcells would say something to the effect of "my god man, do you know how much the man can squat!!!"

red herring to me.

I remember using the #s in the effect of describing his arm strength

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Oh no! Another dumb ball coach bringing in yet ANOTHER former aged player. Will the madness ever end?:eek:

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=292414&r=0&Category=17

BEREA - The Browns sang Sunday before their last big offseason break. They huddled at the end of the final minicamp practice and performed “Happy Birthday” for Romeo Crennel.

“He wouldn’t tell us how old he is,” said quarterback Charlie Frye, a tenor.
Crennel turned 59 Sunday. He is an older head coach under whom graying players do not suffer age discrimination, evidenced by his mature New England defenses, not to mention his Browns nose tackle, 38-year-old Ted Washington.

Crennel isn’t saying so, but he is hardly dousing speculation the Browns are thinking about signing 42-year-old quarterback Vinny Testaverde.
The team has no experienced backup for 24-year-old starter-elect Frye. Ken Dorsey, 25, was 1-6 with a 62.4 passer rating in a trial as a 49ers starter in 2004. Derek Anderson, 22, didn’t take a snap as a 2005 rookie.
Crennel touched on the possibility of signing Testaverde.

“I’ve got a guy in mind that knows the system,” Crennel said. “He might be a little bit older than I am.”

It was obvious Crennel was talking about Testaverde, who had a big year with the Jets (29 TDs, seven interceptions) when Crennel was a coach with that team in 1998. Crennel stayed playful but provocative as he explained how long it would take Testaverde to plug in to a Browns role.

“He could come in on Friday and, boom, he’d be good to go on Sunday,” Crennel said.

Testaverde started four straight games and played extensively in another for an unstable Jets team last year. His only win was 14-12 against Tampa Bay, the team that made him a No. 1 pick in 1987.

His last extended action came at Denver on Nov. 20, when he went 15-of-25 for 152 yards. He threw two interceptions in a 27-0 loss.
Crennel is weighing whether Testaverde might give the improving Browns a better chance to win (STOP THE INSANITY!!!)than Dorsey or Anderson if anything happens to Frye. Might Testaverde be interested in returning to Cleveland, where he started 31 games from 1993-95?

“I have no idea,” Crennel said. “He might tell me, ‘Go take a swim.’ I don’t know because I haven’t spoken with him.”
Dorsey was the No. 2 quarterback in Sunday’s final minicamp practice. He sounded authoritative as he ran a two-minute drill. He put some short passes on the money to Lee Suggs, a candidate for the third-down back role.

“At this time, Ken is still learning the system,” Crennel said. “I think we’ve got to get to training camp to see what he looks like there.”
Former Browns Head Coach Sam Rutigliano thinks Brian Sipe, who became NFL MVP as an eighth-year pro, might have developed sooner with a mentor type to guide him.

“This Browns team seems to have enough things going for it that, now, you’re not dreaming to think about winning,” Rutigliano said after practice. “The only thing I see next is to put somebody in the bullpen who can help Charlie on the field.”

Frye has received some support and instruction from Bernie Kosar, who hasn’t played for years. Testaverde, who was born 12 days after Kosar, has the advantage of having been plugged in to the “now.”

In 2004, he started 15 games and threw for 3,532 yards for Bill Parcells’ Cowboys, whose offensive coordinator was Mo Carthon, is in his second year as Cleveland’s coordinator.
Frye isn’t clamoring for a mentor. He says he spends much of his life breaking down film with position coach Rip Scherer, with Carthon sometimes sitting in. He seems jazzed about the revised supporting cast, featuring new center LeCharles Bentley.

“LeCharles was an honor-roll guy in high school,” Frye said. “He knows defenses. He’s gonna be a big help to me. “The biggest help is, during games, he’ll be able to help identifying defensive fronts. “He’s picked up the offense real fast.”