Browns | P. Hunter pressing for fourth cornerback slot

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I knew Parcells would regret the day he cut a guy who is trying to make 4th string.

:rolleyes:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hunter's competition:

Candidates include 2005 fourth-round pick Antonio Perkins, 2006 fifth-round pick DeMario Minter, Pete Hunter and James Thornton. -The Plain Dealer, Cleveland.com LINK

I wish him luck. IMO, he could have had an easier road of becoming an NFL starter at safety, but he stuck to his guns and is shooting for a career as a backup. Now that's dedication. :cool:

burmafrd

Reaction score
Lets face it- odds are that he would have been average at best as a FS. Good coverage skills and great physical skills- but it looks like the mental aspect just ain't there.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd said:
Lets face it- odds are that he would have been average at best as a FS. Good coverage skills and great physical skills- but it looks like the mental aspect just ain't there.
I won't debate your assessment, but I still say that his chances would have been eventually greater at becoming a starter as a safety than as a cornerback.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Certainly he has a better chance here at FS - no way would he make even 3rd here- have a hard time making fourth since I think Reeves could beat him out.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Pete needs to think offense. I still say he'd be a great receiver. Speed, height
and you don't need to be overly intelligent to run a decent route.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Good luck Pete, wish you stayed here as a saftey....Especially after last years performance we had out there at FS.

lspain1

Reaction score
Pete Hunter and his potential move to safety as a Cowboy has always been a bit of a mystery to me. My memory fails on this subject as well. Was he ever offered the opportunity to move by Parcells? Was he traded...or released?

soccerbud

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Pete Hunter and his potential move to safety as a Cowboy has always been a bit of a mystery to me. My memory fails on this subject as well. Was he ever offered the opportunity to move by Parcells? Was he traded...or released?

cowboys signed anothony henry to start opposite to terrance newman
cowboys asked pete hunter to move to FS
pete hunter had the "i am of a starting CB calibre" mentality to him, so he refused the move
so the cowboys released him

sago1

Reaction score
Your right. Cowboys tried hard to convince Hunter to at least give safety a chance but he just wouldn't even consider it. Actually I think many of us believed Hunter could be a legit FS & obviously so did Parcells.

ghst187

Reaction score
thats7 said:
Pete needs to think offense. I still say he'd be a great receiver. Speed, height

Randal Williams never could "get it"

Seven

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Randal Williams never could "get it"

Who said get it?
Did I say get it?
All right. Show yourself........Who said get it.

At this point, as was clearly implied by Pete, it isn't that he didn't WANT to play safety, he wanted CB money. He wanted what Henry got or somewhere's in there. He should give the receiver gig a try and if he's any good he can command some pretty big bucks, once proven of course. He's got nothing to lose..........except for a CB spot on any NFL team.

BTW....who cares about Randall. WTH does he have to do with it?
Pete should think about it. IMO he may be a good one.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
thats7 said:
Yeah but how good where his hands? I don't remember him getting to many ints.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Pete Hunter can be seen here using his patented "Leap before you look" technique:

hunter_pete.jpg

Seven

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Yeah but how good where his hands? I don't remember him getting to many ints.

I don't remember too much of anything about Pete and the field. I can't honestly answer your hands question. The only way we'd know is if he gave it a try. He's got all the other physical attributes.

I just think the guy could excel at that position and he'd get the big money he's wanting.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Lets hope they don't ask him to play safety.:eek:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I do hope everyone realizes that this "news" is equivalent to hearing that Jamar Martin is threatening for a backup fullback job somewhere.

Nice to hear, but a harsh indictment at how poor our drafting was in the recent past.

Just think, this is a player that we once thought would have a future here and was once in line for a starting cornerback job. Now, they are fighting for a fourth cornerback spot with Cleveland after getting released by the Jets. Truly sad.