Bruce Campbell, Maryland (6-7, 310)

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
An imposing physical specimen ... a third-year offensive linemen who took over as the No. 1 left tackle midway through last season ... should vie for All-ACC honors in the fall ... has played in 18 career games, including eight starts, all at left tackle.
As a Sophomore (2008): Played in all 13 games ... saw action as a reserve at LT in the first six contests before starting at that spot the last seven ... member of a line that enabled Da'Rel Scott (1,133) to become the seventh Terp back, and first since 2002 (Chris Downs), to gain over 1,000 rushing yards ... the line also aided Chris Turner to throw for 2,516 yards, the seventh-highest single-season total in school history ... part of the unit that surrendered just seven sacks during the seven-game span from Sept. 20 to Nov. 15, five of which resulted in Maryland victories ... part of the unit that surrendered just one sack and helped Scott rush for a career-high 197 yards vs. Delaware (8/30) ... member of the offensive unit that scored 35 points vs. then-No. 23 Cal (9/13) ... part of the unit that accounted for 51 points and 486 total yards against EMU (9/20) ... graded out as the team's top offensive lineman (along with Scott Burley) and earned ACC Lineman of the Week honors for his performance against Wake Forest (10/18) ... part of the unit that helped ball carriers rack up 203 rushing yards (including 163 by Scott) vs. NC State (10/25) ... part of the unit that helped Scott and fellow RB Davin Meggett combine for 215 rushing yards and allowed just one sack in an upset of No. 17 UNC (11/15) ... helped spearhead a solid offensive attack in the win over Nevada in the Roady's Humanitarian Bowl (12/30) ... offense posted 456 total yards, including 258 rushing yards, vs. a Wolf Pack defense which entered the game ranked third nationally against the run (74.5 ypg).
As a Freshman (2007): Appeared in five games at left tackle, including one start ... started against Clemson when injuries hit the offensive line... also played vs. Villanova, UNC, Boston College and Florida State ... one of four true freshmen to see action.
At Hargrave Military Academy: Originally signed with the Terps in 2006, but attended the Chatham, Va., school ... coached by Marty Talbert.
At Hyde Leadership School: A four-year letterwinner and three-year starter ... a PrepStar All-American ... played defensive end all four years and started at that spot and offensive tackle his last two years ... never missed a game during his career ... recorded 70 tackles, including six sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery his senior season in 2005 ... had 50 tackles, including 4.5 sacks, while blocking two PATs and one punt as a junior ... team rushed for 7,400 yards his last two years ... first team all-state and New Haven-area most valuable player by the New Haven Register ... Class "S" all-state pick as a junior and senior ... the No. 1-ranked player in the state of Connecticut and the 17th-ranked offensive tackle nationally by Rivals.com as a senior... the 19th-ranked OT in the nation by SuperPrep ... team went 24-0, winning two Class "S" state championships in his final two seasons ... lettered three years in basketball and in track (shot put) ... also recruited by Virginia, Nebraska and Michigan State ... coached by John Aquavita. Personal: Parents are Bruce and Rita Campbell ... father

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
By Patrick Stevens (Contact)
Classes commenced at Maryland on Monday, and the first day of school wasn't too early for Bruce Campbell to absorb one of his most important lessons of the year.
The hulking left tackle - all 6-foot-7, 312 pounds of him - wasn't having the best of sessions. In turn, neither was the rest of an offense so reliant on the gigantic junior to steady things.
It had been said countless times since the Terrapins flew home from the Humanitarian Bowl on New Year's Eve: Campbell and center Phil Costa would prove crucial to the team's chances of matching or surpassing last year's 8-5 record.
Sometimes those words lose meaning. Just days before Maryland opens its season at No. 12 California, the message was reinforced.
"It was a chain reaction with everybody else," Campbell said. "The whole practice went down because it was all slack. I was like, 'Now I know what it is. I can't play like this.' ... It's like a big responsibility. I don't even have anything to compare it to. It just made me realize I got to hang strong this season, not even just for me but also for the younger guys."
Strength is an asset Campbell possesses in surplus. He cuts an Olympian figure (Zeus is one of the many nicknames he answers to), and his athletic deeds seem to multiply by the week.
Unsurprisingly, he sets up as the next workout warrior to come out of a program that has sent Shawne Merriman, Vernon Davis and Darrius Heyward-Bey soaring up draft boards exiting the past five NFL combines.
And just think: He has concentrated on becoming an offensive lineman rather than dabbling as a defensive end, linebacker, tight end and kicker for a little more than two years.
"In all my years of coaching - 25 years here - of all the linemen I've coached and all the ones I've seen on the other side of the ball, I've never seen an offensive lineman built like Bruce," said Dwight Galt, Maryland's director of strength and conditioning. "Basically, he's 310 pounds, and he's ripped to shreds, and he has great movement. He's a specimen. There's not many that come along like that."

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Bruce Campbell? He was good in those Evil Dead movies but he just looks old in Burn Notice.

bruce.jpg