News: Bruce Carter benching explained

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Am I missing something? There is absolutely nothing in Garrett's quote to explain the benching.

50cent

Reaction score
Honestly, this doesn't seem that mysterious to me. Carter played poorly in a few games, got benched, and is now playing better and probably worked himself back into the starting lineup. It's hilarious how the same people on this board who cry for "accountability" later whine that such is a "progress stopper."
Accountability is what happened to will Allen. You don't make plays, buh-bye! This is trying to motivate/make a point that failed. This equates to Harris or Beasley getting equal or more snaps than Dez for running the wrong route. He's young and. Reds time to develop. Not everyone is Sean Lee that comes ready made. Maybe it's another example of poor drafting, IDK, but it's obvious like it is that Dez is just better than Beasley or Harris, that Carter is just better than Sims as a player but still needs to grow. This was an awful decision and it might lose us a quality player when his tract is up!

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Read Matt Eberflus quotes... He's the one doing the explaining.

After the Eberflus quote -- "coach Jason Garrett explained why Carter didn't at least start."

Even Eberflus didn't really explain the situation, he talked around it with generalities. I don't expect him to call out a player, but I came in here expecting specifics and I got, "because Sims is better on some plays and Carter is better on other." That's not an explanation. That's an excuse.

I am not questioning the decisions, I would just like to hear what they're actually seeing. I know I saw Bruce bite very hard on play action a few times yesterday. Ernie Sims on the other hand, over-pursued on almost every opportunity, running himself completely out of plays. So, from what I can gather, they both have the same problem at the moment--they're playing to aggressively and it causes them to leave gaps on the field. Which in turn exposes Lee and Durant who have to cover extra ground.

I like Sims a lot. I liked him out of college. I liked him with the Lions. I even liked him with the Eagles. I just don't see the upside in him that I see with Bruce Carter. I think this is one position where we just have to choose one and go through the growing pains and know if we have a player there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But these are the same folks who thought Sean Payton was dumb too.

Coaches are often blamed for a lack of talent on the roster.

The only spot where I see lack of talent is on the injury depleted defensive line, the one unit actually playing well.

The rest are guys they chose and schemes they choose to run.

No excuses there.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I hope this is sarcasm

Not at all. Keep benching a player and putting someone in who CLEARLY is performing worse, and it can hurt relationships without a doubt.

Its different if its because of attitude. But if its because of performance and you put someone in who performs worse, its not going to help anyone.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Not if this lights a fire under Carter and he returns to his 2012 form.

For the Cowboys sake I hope he does return to form. There have always been questions about Carter (see link below) but he is still a better option than Sims. Isn't he?

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/2011/04/bob-sturm-bruce-carter-tape.html/?nclick_check=1

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Not at all. Keep benching a player and putting someone in who CLEARLY is performing worse, and it can hurt relationships without a doubt.

Its different if its because of attitude. But if its because of performance and you put someone in who performs worse, its not going to help anyone.

Temporarily benching a talented but under-achieving player for performance issues is absolutely the right call regardless of who replaces him. The key word is "temporarily", which is obviously the case here. Coaches that are afraid of hurting a player's feelings have no place in the NFL.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Temporarily benching a talented but under-achieving player for performance issues is absolutely the right call regardless of who replaces him. The key word is "temporarily", which is obviously the case here. Coaches that are afraid of hurting a player's feelings have no place in the NFL.

This is carter's second benching already this season...eventually it does have a negative effect. no one can deny that.

perrykemp

Reaction score

As fans it clear we don't have any insights as to what exactly is bothering the coaches re: either Carter's play or how he is practicing. <Something> is bothering the coaches, however.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
For the Cowboys sake I hope he does return to form. There have always been questions about Carter (see link below) but he is still a better option than Sims. Isn't he?

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/2011/04/bob-sturm-bruce-carter-tape.html/?nclick_check=1

are you saying that next off season our priorities will be

CB
CB
CB
LB?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Carter has struggled with the coverage aspect of the new defense. He is playing tenatively when it comes to coverage. They felt Sims had a better overall grasp but does not have the talent. I have no issue with this, if carter is the player we all think he is this game could show that he is needed and that he needs to buckle down and get better with the assignments.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Here's some quotes from Carter about the benching:

Full article here by Jon Machota at DMN: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...eason-he-was-demoted-really-wasnt-legit.html/

...............“I’m a guy that kind of over-analyzes things too much,” Carter said. “When I do that, it kind of slows me down. I don’t think it’s a matter of me not running to the ball or loafing. I’m just thinking too much, over-thinking things instead of letting my instincts [take over], just going out there and playing. But I think that’s out of there.

“I’m more relaxed. The scheme is more comfortable now. I’m going out there and playing.”

While Carter says he’s not questioning himself, there appears to be some disconnect between him and the coaching staff. Apparently the reason the staff gave him for reducing his playing time didn’t make much sense to the 25-year-old.

“To be honest, I really don’t even know,” Carter said. “It really wasn’t legit. It is what it is.”

Well, doesn’t it make things difficult when you don’t know what you’re doing wrong?

“Yeah, it is very frustrating,” Carter said. “I just take it one day at a time.”...................

Read the rest here: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...eason-he-was-demoted-really-wasnt-legit.html/

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Maybe they were just trying to light a fire??? Looks like it worked. :shrug:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He didn't say anything. My guess is he's trying hard to motivate Carter who should be one of the better Wills in the league.