Bruce Thornton to start against Colts

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who thinks Peyton Manning smells blood? I feel sorry for the dude, he's gonna get lit up...repeatedly. :cool:
-----------

49ers throw corner to wolves, er Colts
Thornton's first NFL start will be against Manning
By Roger PhillipsSTAFF WRITER

SANTA CLARA — Imagine a pitcher in his big league debut facing Barry Bonds, a rookie trying to guard Michael Jordan in the season opener, or a first-year goalie staring down Mario Lemieux on a breakaway.

From a football standpoint, this is what the San Francisco 49ers (1-3) will face Sunday afternoon when their battered secondary has to contend with the high-octane Indianapolis Colts (4-0) at Monster Park.

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning directs the NFL's most feared passing attack. And one of the 49ers' cornerbacks may be Bruce Thornton, who has risen meteorically in recent weeks from the ranks of the unsigned to the practice squad to the brink of making his first NFL start.

Niners coach Mike Nolan admitted Thursday he could have chosen a better time for his secondary to be so unsettled.

"It's a bad time," Nolan said. "There's no good time. But there are worse times than others. This is not a good time."

When the season began last month, the cornerbacks were Shawntae Spencer and Ahmed Plummer, Tony Parrish and Mike Rumph manned the safety positions, and the nickel cornerback was Mike Adams.

Since then, however, everything has gone wrong for a 49ers team whose pass defense is the lowest-ranked in the NFL.

Rumph proved ill-suited to playing safety and was replaced there by Adams. Right at the moment Rumph was set to move back to cornerback, he was lost for the year with a foot injury. Plummer has missed one game and will miss several more with an ankle injury.

Rookie Derrick Johnson, who started last Sunday's loss to Arizona because of the Rumph and Plummer injuries, will not play this week because of a thigh injury. And Willie Middlebrooks, who would be next in line, may be sidelined this week with a groin injury.

Enter the 24-year-old Thornton, Dallas' fourth-round draft choice a year ago. Thornton appeared in one game for the Cowboys as a rookie, promptly suffering a season-ending knee injury.

He was predictably brave Thursday when asked about the prospect of starting this week against the Colts.

"Being a competitor like I am," he said, "you wouldn't want it any other way but to play against the best. ... No, I don't think it's intimidating."

We'll see what he's saying late Sunday afternoon.

Here's how thin the 49ers are in their secondary: During Thursday's practice, fourth-string quarterback Cody Pickett was playing free safety with the scout-team defense against the starting offense. Capitalizing on Pickett's athletic ability, Nolan used the former Washington quarterback on special teams against the Cardinals, and also has used him as a wide receiver in practice. Nolan said he has no intention of using Pickett in the secondary in a game this season, but then again ...

"Heck, I don't know," Nolan said. "If we have another injury, he might just have to park his tail back there at free safety."

Pickett said his ultimate goal is to be a starting quarterback, but he sounded open about the prospect of a short-term defensive role. In high school, he said, he played eight snaps as a defensive back and intercepted "two or three" Hail Mary passes.

"In the long run, I want to play quarterback," Pickett said. "But for now, whatever he wants me to do, I'm going to go out there and do my best." Sunday, though, the focus will shift to Thornton, presuming he starts. "Physically," he said, "I feel well prepared. It's just really trying to get familiar with tendencies, because they run so many different things — (receiver) Marvin Harrison, Peyton Manning, they're a great combination. So we're really just trying to see what they do and try to figure out what they do."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/prepsports/ci_3095194

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Go get em Brucie. Good luck to you and your chiefs. I dont care either way, but it would be nice to see ex-cowboys making plays and becoming a real part of any team.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Interesting, good luck to him. Not a good way to make your real first start though against Manning and the Colts. I was hoping he would of opted for the Cowboys practice squad cause I think he has a chance of being a decent nickle corner gievn time.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
This is great news. I have both Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison on my fantasy team.

Yay!

Cowboyfan81

Broadcast Guy
Reaction score
_1264205_toasty-300.jpg

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Good for Thornton - he made the right choice going to SF's PS instead of staying on ours.

Compacity

Benched
Reaction score
I think that Bruce Thorton is going to do good... he could keep up with anybody..He played good the last preseason game...

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray Thee, Lord, my soul to keep."

scottsp

Reaction score
Poor kid. He won't know what hit him. And Indy has got to be licking their chops. As if they weren't to begin with.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
He might surprise you, our evaluation and coaching of talent hasn't always been perfect, he might be a diamond in the rough. So many times these guys just need opportunity to play...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
i told yall we shouldve kept him.he will play a good game.

stupid parcells

Hiero

Reaction score
ya i liked him too, but oh well, players like this come and go. best of luck to the guy.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
this is the best game for him to start. u gotta get ur cherry popped eventually so to speak. If ur gonna play, and ur a PLAYER u want to play in the big game. This is the best offense he will play, so its a bend but not break philosophy. I mean, if u get thrown out in the fire, any game after that will seem easy comparitively.