Brugler has us pick

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I think you might Ben undervaluing what he's capable of. He was PFFs top graded defender.

"Our top-graded player, Hurst was unstoppable against both the run (94.4) and as a pass-rusher (92.3) where he topped all interior defensive linemen. He led all interior rushers with 48 total pressures (seven sacks, 10 QB hits, and 29 hurries"

Hurst will become this year's Bosa with Cowboy fans...like him the will ignore the stats (pressures) and look at measurables only. Hurst is a perfect three in this scheme.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
We already have David Irving playing 3 technique. Lord help me if Crawford is at DE again this year. I think DT is fine with Irving , Collins , Crawford and jones who played well at the end of the year. If anything add another DE in the mid rounds.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We already have David Irving playing 3 technique. Lord help me if Crawford is at DE again this year. I think DT is fine with Irving , Collins , Crawford and jones who played well at the end of the year. If anything add another DE in the mid rounds.

I don't know why Cowboys fans think Irving is locked in at 3T...he played every spot on the line.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Hurst will become this year's Bosa with Cowboy fans...like him the will ignore the stats (pressures) and look at measurables only. Hurst is a perfect three in this scheme.

Bosa waa a cleaner prospect. People just freaked out about his 40 which shouldn't have mattered due to his 10 yard split and 3 cone.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I am not convinced.

But it is a real downer he will not play in the Senior Bowl.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm all for BPA but how many 3's does this team need? You have Collins and Irving can play there some.

You stunted the growth of Collins playing him at the 1. That can't happen again.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I'm all for BPA but how many 3's does this team need? You have Collins and Irving can play there some.

You stunted the growth of Collins playing him at the 1. That can't happen again.

I am doubting Collins is explosive enough at the three.
Irving I love, but can be exploited against the run.
Hurst allows you to mix and match inside.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Bosa waa a cleaner prospect. People just freaked out about his 40 which shouldn't have mattered due to his 10 yard split and 3 cone.

I agree, but you were picking at four with Bosa.

Hurst isn't my first choice, just saying I would not be disappointed should he be picked especially if the likes of Vea, Payne, Smith, Edmunds and Bryan are gone.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We just don't draft DT's high in the draft. Some say that's a Marinelli thing but the last high draft pick at DT that I can remember is Spears and that goes way back to Parcell's. I don't see Maliek Collins as a DT 1, I think he's just ok as a DT3. Irving is way out of position on the line and IMO should rotate and play more at end. I'd bet we will not draft a DT much earlier than the 3'rd round. That's our modus operandi.

Oh_Canada indeed :)

DuDa

Reaction score
I like Hurst but I don't love him with that pick. He's the best 3 tech in a very weak class....meh

cnuball21

Reaction score
I agree, but you were picking at four with Bosa.

Hurst isn't my first choice, just saying I would not be disappointed should he be picked especially if the likes of Vea, Payne, Smith, Edmunds and Bryan are gone.

Ahhhh I gotcha. Yea I guess with perspective on the pick at 19 instead of 4 it's fairly similar.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Collins has one year playing the 3 extensively, his rookie year, and he gave you 5 sacks. So I don't know why you'd make that conclusion.

I'd make it from 2/3 being mop up sacks against the Browns backup C, his poor run support and his scouting reports.

Sydla

Reaction score

He's a 3 Tech for sure. But is he an elite 3 Tech? In other words, is he better than Irving?

If he's the best player on the board at 19, you should take him but I am not sure he's going to be the best player available, maybe not even the best DL if Vea is there.

And there is no comparison between Bosa and Hurst.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's a 3 Tech for sure. But is he an elite 3 Tech? In other words, is he better than Irving?

If he's the best player on the board at 19, you should take him but I am not sure he's going to be the best player available, maybe not even the best DL if Vea is there.

Broaddus and Brugler both have him as the best 3T in the draft. Elite? Debatable but he's a darn good prospect.

And we can't label Irving as just a 3T - that's inaccurate.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

Not comparing them directly. Only saying that many thought Bosa wasn't worth spending fourth overall should he have been there in the same way they are talking about Hurst. Unless Hurst bombs at the combine and proves otherwise, I think his quickness and strength at 285lbs are a great fit in this defense, though my personal preference remains a true one tech. Either way I will not complain about more pressure up the middle.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
If you can guarantee me he’s the next Donaldson, then I’m all in, but I’m always leery of “the next”.......fill in the blank
I am not saying he is the next anyone, just saying don't knock him b/c of his size ....