BSPN: McCarthy to Moore Transition Work in Progress

Pass2Run

Reaction score
My personal feelings are McCarthy is a good HC, a tad above average and good enough to win, but I'd almost always take Moore as my play-caller. This is actually not a bad piece by Archer. Also, I wish McCarthy would get over his dopey way of saying, "I think it's just like anything."

We get it. You're trying to be police when you address those around you, but you don't have to sound like dufus to be polite.

===
FRISCO, Texas -- It always seemed a bit strange, the partnership between Mike McCarthy and Kellen Moore.

Back in 2015, while with the Green Bay Packers, McCarthy said he would never not call plays again as a head coach. Yet he accepted the Dallas Cowboys' job in 2020 and kept Moore as the offensive coordinator and playcaller despite the pair having no background together.

On Monday, the Cowboys' past and present collide at SoFi Stadium (8:15 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN) in a game where what Moore did for Dallas, and now does for the Chargers, will be compared to what McCarthy has done in 2023 as a playcaller.

McCarthy said the three seasons he and Moore spent together were "productive," especially 2021 and 2022 when the Cowboys finished with a 12-5 record and made the playoffs. McCarthy's first season, 2020, was impacted by the pandemic and the loss of quarterback Dak Prescott in the fifth game because of a dislocated and fractured right ankle.

In 2021, the Cowboys were ranked No. 1 in yards, ninth in rushing and second in passing. A year later, they finished 11th in yards but had the best red zone offense. The Cowboys scored 530 and 467 points, respectively, their best back-to-back production in franchise history.

"If you look at the pure football part of it, I think we were still working through how we wanted the offense to look [in 2020]," McCarthy said. "I thought he did a really nice job shifting gears and featuring the runners and doing some of the things that needed to be done."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ition-chargers-kellen-moore-mike-mccarthy-mnf

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coaches used to always say it takes 2 seasons for a team to master the west coast offense. Not sure why we expect it to be perfect after 6 weeks at a time when they're barely allowed to practice.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
My personal feelings are McCarthy is a good HC, a tad above average and good enough to win, but I'd almost always take Moore as my play-caller. This is actually not a bad piece by Archer. Also, I wish McCarthy would get over his dopey way of saying, "I think it's just like anything."

We get it. You're trying to be police when you address those around you, but you don't have to sound like dufus to be polite.

===
FRISCO, Texas -- It always seemed a bit strange, the partnership between Mike McCarthy and Kellen Moore.

Back in 2015, while with the Green Bay Packers, McCarthy said he would never not call plays again as a head coach. Yet he accepted the Dallas Cowboys' job in 2020 and kept Moore as the offensive coordinator and playcaller despite the pair having no background together.

On Monday, the Cowboys' past and present collide at SoFi Stadium (8:15 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN) in a game where what Moore did for Dallas, and now does for the Chargers, will be compared to what McCarthy has done in 2023 as a playcaller.

McCarthy said the three seasons he and Moore spent together were "productive," especially 2021 and 2022 when the Cowboys finished with a 12-5 record and made the playoffs. McCarthy's first season, 2020, was impacted by the pandemic and the loss of quarterback Dak Prescott in the fifth game because of a dislocated and fractured right ankle.

In 2021, the Cowboys were ranked No. 1 in yards, ninth in rushing and second in passing. A year later, they finished 11th in yards but had the best red zone offense. The Cowboys scored 530 and 467 points, respectively, their best back-to-back production in franchise history.

"If you look at the pure football part of it, I think we were still working through how we wanted the offense to look [in 2020]," McCarthy said. "I thought he did a really nice job shifting gears and featuring the runners and doing some of the things that needed to be done."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ition-chargers-kellen-moore-mike-mccarthy-mnf
:espn:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I been saying this, they are still getting it together. It may take several more games to see any improvement, but it will get there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Process, a work in progress…….same old nonsense.
Were you ever in charge of a functioning platoon and maintaining response training and leadership?

Very similar as well as repetitive to be good.

Brax

Reaction score
Were you ever in charge of a functioning platoon and maintaining response training and leadership?

Last I new you don’t train your unit with 50 to 60% of the needed training and then learn on the job and see how it goes, that’s how you end up with step on’s. This is the same O with 30 % not installed yet, that’s according to MM not me, KM still a problem for some of you and he’s not here anymore. A whole offseason and training camp and still haven’t installed 30% is pathetic to say the least. You best go back to leadership school because you missed a lot the first time.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Apples and oranges….salary cap instills time limits making process and progress less important. Repetition and practice is always a no brainer, regardless…

CCBoy

Reaction score
Apples and oranges….salary cap instills time limits making process and progress less important. Repetition and practice is always a no brainer, regardless…
I was commenting on routines maintained by all teams and those do reflect changes. Changes have been reflected by all of the top ten ranked teams in the NFL.

There are no cap restrictions in Dallas that currently have a balance of over $6M in their cap. but are also in the top 10 ranked teams as well. Not apples and oranges, or even bananas and lemons. Relevant.

Change always is reflective of rehearsal and reinforcement from just that. Front and center now...the current offensive line and preparation for the next two opponents. Does a record of 6-2 really mean nothing?