News: BST: Maligned Garrett Entering Crossroads With Cowboys

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
In other words your looking for a HC that can overcome the good or better teams.

What good or better teams we lost to this year did you think we should have beaten with the active roster we had?

Denver comes to mind. Who else ?
Denver i wouldnt consider a good team

Packers
Rams
Falcons
Seahawks

That Atlanta game alone cost us a playoff spot. Same team Philly just beat with Nick Foles

glimmerman

Reaction score
I also think he settled on JG after going through so many HC in a short amount of time. After Johnson left it seemed we had a different HC every year. When the team gave up on poor Wade and JG took over the team steped up and I thought ok JG gets these player ready to play the game. Well that wasn’t true, what happened is JJ dropped a HC mid season and said he wasn’t afraid to drop some players also. The players got job scared and had to start doing there jobs. Now everyone has relaxed again. In order to keep there paychecks for another year or so they will throw each other under the bus. Lower level coaches this year and Linehan will get it next year. Maybe JJ cuts Linehan mid season if it’s the same Offense this coming season.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jason isn't just not advancing in the playoffs, his game management skills are being exposed and the lack of creativity on offense, his supposed specialty, is being discussed and ridiculed on a national stage.

If they don't win a playoff game next year, I think that the people in Jerry's ear will push him to finally pull the plug.

Maybe Jerry will break it to Jason softly and write it on a cocktail napkin.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Jerry needs to go on Dr. Phil

tenor.gif

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They burned through Romo last few good years. They wasted Witten's last few really upper echelon years. They are wasting Tryon Smith's best years. They are wasting Lee's best years. They might have wasted Bryant's best years. And at this point, barring some change in heart by the Jones family, they will likely burn through the best years of Martin, Frederick, Zeke, etc. on this mediocre head coach.

It's depressing when you think about it. The Cowboys are near the top in the NFL in pro bowlers, All Pros, etc. over the last 8-10 years.......... and what do they have to show for it?

Zippo. Jerry and his management have basically just wasted great players we've had.
Bingo! Therein is the issue: above average player talent, including top-in talent at acknowledged key positions like LT, and average results.

And, it is not just the talent on the field. The Cowboys are the premier sports franchise in the world. They have absolutely first class training facilities along with an avid fan base.

Despite all these superlatives, JJ has stubbornly stuck to second class coaching. Other than Jimmy Johnson (who was unproven at the NFL level at the time of his hire) and Parcels, he has not hired a coach worthy of the brand.

It truly is sad.

Eddie

Reaction score
The issues is NOT Garrett. How many Head Coaches have we had since our last Super Bowl? How much of a difference have any of those coaches made? Same results.

JustChip

Reaction score
The 12-4 seasons won’t result in anything relevant, that’s the point

But logic doesn't say that. For a team to go 12-4 three consecutive years means that it's not a result of catching lightening in a bottle for one year; it's good team. Good enough to get to the NFCC game at least once, probably even the SB.

I understand the point that you don't believe the coaches are capable of getting to the SB, but that's not what was said. They would have to do what hasn't been done since the glory days of the 90's in which case they would obviously be capable of winning an NFCC and maybe winning the SB.

I'm not defending the coaching staff. I'm just addressing the illogical position.

Sydla

Reaction score

Packers
Rams
Falcons
Seahawks

That Atlanta game alone cost us a playoff spot. Same team Philly just beat with Nick Foles

Yep. The Packers and Rams games were at HOME too and we had leads in both and blew it. Games we should have won, and while we can also blame Switzer for a big mistake in the Rams game, there were coaching gaffes in that game as well.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
But logic doesn't say that. For a team to go 12-4 three consecutive years means that it's not a result of catching lightening in a bottle for one year; it's good team. Good enough to get to the NFCC game at least once, probably even the SB.

I understand the point that you don't believe the coaches are capable of getting to the SB, but that's not what was said. They would have to do what hasn't been done since the glory days of the 90's in which case they would obviously be capable of winning an NFCC and maybe winning the SB.

I'm not defending the coaching staff. I'm just addressing the illogical position.
What good is those records, if we are gonna be one and done everytime.

This coaching staff needs to go. The sooner we do that and actually build an elite defense, the sooner we will win in the postseason

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Packers
Rams
Falcons
Seahawks

Why do we expect our HC to overcome the better teams? They are better teams.

The Rams and Packer games are great examples even when had Elliott we weren’t a good enough team. Why would we expect Garrett to make the difference?

If we’re relying on our coaching staff to overcome our talent we’re in big trouble .

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Why do we expect our HC to overcome the better teams? They are better teams.

The Rams and Packer games are great examples even when had Elliott we weren’t a good enough team. Why would we expect Garrett to make the difference?

If we’re relying on our coaching staff to overcome our talent we’re in big trouble .
Thats a big part of the problem here

Lack of talent on defense
Lack of coaching

We go in to every single game, at a disadvantage in the coaching department.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats a big part of the problem here

Lack of talent on defense
Lack of coaching

We go in to every single game, at a disadvantage in the coaching department.
Yes , and why we need as much elite talent as we can muster .

But the bigger point is how many coaches are winning games against more talented teams on a regular basis?The NFL is a talent driven league. If we assemble more talent in key areas we’ll become a better team.

Im not promoting Garrett is a good coach but your saying he is the worst in NFL? IDK..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you just want to Bash Garrett don’t let me stop you. I’m not here to defend him because his weaknesses are as glaring as our QB’s but I would challenge that he’s not as bad as some are claiming when compared to the bottom feeders in the NFL.

Would we like a greater HC. Of course. Is that a viable option with Jerry. I’m not sure? I measure Garrett up against our other puppets this era. He’s even done about as well as Parcells.

It appears to me our best hope given the dysfunctional situation we have under Jerry is to assemble more talent in hopes of overcoming Jerry, Stephen and Jason.

Placing all of our hope and energy on Jerry having some kind of Absolution seems to me a wasted effort. I’m trying to figure out what pieces within the roster will make us a better team with hopes that might be enough given our handicaps on the sidelines and in the booth.