News: BTB: 2018 NFL Draft: Three prospects the Cowboys could trade up for

Sydla

Reaction score
The overrating of Edmunds and Vea continues.

Edmunds runs pretty mediocre and Vea's upside is Star Lotulelei as he just does not disengage from blockers for all his power. 1st rounders but not worth giving up top 100 picks in a fairly talented draft. This is not 2009 and we are not one player away.

Chubb, Smith, Payne, or Nelson are the blue chip talents that you trade up for.

This is the issue that happens every year. People fall in love with a Vea or Edmunds and lose sight of there being 8 or so guys that have a high probability of being there when we pick that are first round talents too.

Price, Hernandez, Ridley, Vea, Edmunds, Brown, WIlliams, or Kirk are all first round talents. With QBs, edge rushers, RB, OT, and CB sure to be drafted ahead of us some of them are going to be there. Your pet cat is not worth the opportunity cost.

Agreed with your 4 as trade up guys if they get close enough where it makes it worth our while to make a move.

I'd kill for Chubb, personally.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Okay to draft the superstar at rb or qb, i.e., since he will touch the ball a lot. But drafting a superstar safety or cornerback, who can be schemed away from, doesn't make that much sense to me.

Just look at past Dallas players who were high performers but weren't first rounders - Larry Allen for example, HOF and multiple Pro Bowler, drafted in the second round. To those who insist the Cowboys trade up to the top 10 or higher, just realize top talent is there after the first round. Imagine the Cowboys getting Allen in this draft, to play OT next to Martin and having Collins at LG!

Sydla

Reaction score
Okay to draft the superstar at rb or qb, i.e., since he will touch the ball a lot. But drafting a superstar safety or cornerback, who can be schemed away from, doesn't make that much sense to me.

Just look at past Dallas players who were high performers but weren't first rounders - Larry Allen for example, HOF and multiple Pro Bowler, drafted in the second round. To those who insist the Cowboys trade up to the top 10 or higher, just realize top talent is there after the first round. Imagine the Cowboys getting Allen in this draft, to play OT next to Martin and having Collins at LG!

What?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It really depends on who is there at something like 15. I imagine if 2 of these guys are there they'll be less likely to move. But if VV is there, I'd be jumping all over that like a big ole bass on a water dog!
You know that is right!! Darn, now i want to go fishing.

Several of the mocks I have seen recently (yes, I know they are just fodder for die hards like us) have had them both going just a few picks ahead of us. So, that is some background for my statement. It was literally leaving us with defensive players that I don't believe are first round talents or going for first round talent at Oline or CB.

I think Vitamin V is too much of a game wrecker to pass on if you have any legitimate chance to get him (don't give up the farm to trade into the top 10 or anything).

JustChip

Reaction score
You know that is right!! Darn, now i want to go fishing.

Several of the mocks I have seen recently (yes, I know they are just fodder for die hards like us) have had them both going just a few picks ahead of us. So, that is some background for my statement. It was literally leaving us with defensive players that I don't believe are first round talents or going for first round talent at Oline or CB.

I think Vitamin V is too much of a game wrecker to pass on if you have any legitimate chance to get him (don't give up the farm to trade into the top 10 or anything).

I don't think VV will go top 10, but you never know how the draft will shake out. There for sure will be some players currently below 15 that shoot up after the Combine so VV may drop to 15 or lower. They probably will have something between 15 and 20 players with 1st round grades so they should get a 1st round talent. And I'm ok if it's OL. I'm a BPA proponent because you never know what injuries will occur. But not reaching for a BPA - trade back if a 1st round talent isn't there.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't think VV will go top 10, but you never know how the draft will shake out. There for sure will be some players currently below 15 that shoot up after the Combine so VV may drop to 15 or lower. They probably will have something between 15 and 20 players with 1st round grades so they should get a 1st round talent. And I'm ok if it's OL. I'm a BPA proponent because you never know what injuries will occur. But not reaching for a BPA - trade back if a 1st round talent isn't there.

Top 1Ts usually go early/mid teens. I see Vea going in that range but would love for him to fall to us!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Vea doesn't disengage from blockers. Yeha he knocks people back and ragdolls the occasional scrub but that gets you pressures not sacks. He isn't a good finisher when he does disengage.

I get why people like him. He's a lot of fun to watch but while he will help other's finish with push he will not make a whole lot of plays on his own. It's why Payne is so much highly regarded. He regularly disengages blocks and attacks the passer and ball carrier.

Vea could develop but he is not a top 10 talent.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Vea doesn't disengage from blockers. Yeha he knocks people back and ragdolls the occasional scrub but that gets you pressures not sacks. He isn't a good finisher when he does disengage.

I get why people like him. He's a lot of fun to watch but while he will help other's finish with push he will not make a whole lot of plays on his own. It's why Payne is so much highly regarded. He regularly disengages blocks and attacks the passer and ball carrier.

Vea could develop but he is not a top 10 talent.

Eye of the beholder i suppose. The film i have watched shows him routinely holding the point against double & even triple teams. I could care less whether he disengages from that. Single & double blocks, I saw him beat enough to easily satisfy me. No other draftee i have watched or heard of is even close when it comes to holding the point.

Payne definitely has some upside & I personally like him better than Hurst but he gets blown off the ball too much. Taven Bryan is actually my second rated D lineman right now but I haven't seen a lot of film of his work against the run but as a penetrator \ finisher, quite impressive.

IMO, first & foremost we need someone to stuff the middle & let others make the plays on the ball. I certainly would not be against drafting VV in the first & following up with one of these guys in the second or third.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Eye of the beholder i suppose. The film i have watched shows him routinely holding the point against double & even triple teams. I could care less whether he disengages from that. Single & double blocks, I saw him beat enough to easily satisfy me. No other draftee i have watched or heard of is even close when it comes to holding the point.

Payne definitely has some upside & I personally like him better than Hurst but he gets blown off the ball too much. Taven Bryan is actually my second rated D lineman right now but I haven't seen a lot of film of his work against the run but as a penetrator \ finisher, quite impressive.

IMO, first & foremost we need someone to stuff the middle & let others make the plays on the ball. I certainly would not be against drafting VV in the first & following up with one of these guys in the second or third.

What makes Vea a stud is that he's not just a space eater. He's got great size, but he's making plays against the run and pass.

25 run stops and 39 pressures last year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

You don't get sacks and tackles very often if you cannot disengage. Plugger's are useful but not gamechangers like a guy who can disengage and attack.

I watched several games of Payne and while he gave some ground on double teams I do not recall him just getting blown up. Moreso, the OL talent he faced was much bigger and stronger in the SEC.

Vea getting isoed onto Utah's worst interior lineman doesn't do much for me. Thing that stood out to me was that even when he dominated standing up guys and putting them on skates he just could not shed. He got tangled up in the paddycake.

Hurst would get hooked and taken for rides. I'm not overly high on him.

Payne is easily the most pro ready and why he is pretty universally seen as a top 10 pick. His handwork and moves is lightyears ahead of anyone else in this year's DT class.

DanA

Reaction score
You don't get sacks and tackles very often if you cannot disengage. Plugger's are useful but not gamechangers like a guy who can disengage and attack.

I watched several games of Payne and while he gave some ground on double teams I do not recall him just getting blown up. Moreso, the OL talent he faced was much bigger and stronger in the SEC.

Vea getting isoed onto Utah's worst interior lineman doesn't do much for me. Thing that stood out to me was that even when he dominated standing up guys and putting them on skates he just could not shed. He got tangled up in the paddycake.

Hurst would get hooked and taken for rides. I'm not overly high on him.

Payne is easily the most pro ready and why he is pretty universally seen as a top 10 pick. His handwork and moves is lightyears ahead of anyone else in this year's DT class.

I agree that Payne is the most refined DT prospect by a margin and a pretty good athlete too. But I'm not sure that Payne is universally seen as a top 10 pick and while playing for Alabama doesn't exactly have stats like Jonathan Allen....they're a bit underwhelming for a guy of his talent.