News: BTB: 2019 NFL Preseason Power Rankings: ESPN and NFL.com both put the Dallas Cowboys inside

NewsBot

Reaction score
1162252994.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Darryl Oumi/Getty Images
Do you think the Cowboys are a Top 10 team?

We’re almost two weeks away from the NFL season beginning and if I’m being honest one of the things I’m looking forward to most is the food of fall.

Nachos, ribs, hot wings, enough ranch dressing for me to swim in, and a good bowl of chili. Those are all in my own personal future over the next six months and I hope your own palate gets similarly cleansed as the football season passes over. As it is almost officially time for fall’s most greatest rite of passage, that also means we’ve reached power rankings season.

It’s true that power rankings are starting to eek out ever so slowly and the worldwide leader started the party strong on Tuesday. They dropped their list and, what do you know, the Cowboys are in the top 10:

ESPN’s 2019 NFL Preseason Power Rankings:

1. New England Patriots
  2. Kansas City Chiefs
  3. New Orleans Saints
  4. Los Angeles Rams
  5. Philadelphia Eagles
  6. Los Angeles Chargers
  7. Chicago Bears
  8. Indianapolis Colts
  9. Dallas Cowboys
  10. Cleveland Browns

The national love for the Browns is absolutely very real (it’s also really real in the mind of their own quarterback to a degree). You’ll note that they are the only non-playoff team from last season to make ESPN’s top 10.

You can also see that the Cowboys are four spots lower than their division rivals, the Philadelphia Eagles. National outlets have praised Philly all offseason so it’s not shocking to see that continue, the Cowboys are the sixth-lowest division winner from last season.

In fact, when you consider last season the Cowboys were one of the NFL’s final eight teams as they made it to the Divisional Round. Obviously power rankings shouldn’t just be about that, but the Bears were placed ahead of them even though they lost in the Wildcard Round.

Perhaps you agree that the Eagles are a better team than Dallas, but Chicago does feel like a stretch. They have a fantastic defense but it hardly makes sense to trust Mitchell Trubisky over Dak Prescott, but to be fair ESPN wasn’t the only outlet to rank the Windy City ahead of America’s Team.

NFL.com’s 2019 Preseason Power Rankings:

1. New England Patriots
  2. Los Angeles Rams
  3. New Orleans Saints
  4. Kansas City Chiefs
  5. Indianapolis Colts
  6. Philadelphia Eagles
  7. Chicago Bears
  8. Dallas Cowboys
  9. Pittsburgh Steelers
  10. Seattle Seahawks

The largest disagreement between these two is that NFL.com doesn’t have the Los Angeles Chargers ahead of Dallas, heck, they don’t even have LA in the top 10 at all. Collectively, though, they both view New England, Kansas City, the Rams, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, and Chicago as superior teams.

The Patriots, Chiefs, and Rams (even though the Cowboys beat them in the mighty preseason... kidding) all feel like easy teams to slot ahead of Dallas. Obviously the Cowboys beat the Saints last season, but New Orleans is still probably a better team overall. Indy, Philly, and Chicago are cases that can all be made.

How do you feel?

Continue reading...