News: BTB: 2020 NFL Draft: Cowboys reportedly have done “a ton of recon work” on Penn State EDGE

NewsBot

Reaction score
1175286541.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images
Another round of “truth or fiction” draft rumors for the Cowboys.

The 2020 NFL Draft is this week which means a few things. Namely it means that the Dallas Cowboys, like everyone else, are going to have a new crop of players that will hopefully make their football team better. Something else that draft week means is that you can’t always believe everything that is said. With the draft being so close, this is the time where teams are operating at different speeds and putting out all sorts of messages, narratives, and smokescreens.

We spoke about a potential smokescreen when it comes to the Cowboys and their linebacker position on Friday as Stephen Jones took the radio airwaves of 105.3 The Fan. It is possible that we’re getting a different sort of signal from the worldwide leader with alleged interest from the Cowboys in one particular player.

ESPN noted that the Cowboys have interest in Penn State EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos

We know that the Cowboys have a need at edge rusher, that part is simple. Robert Quinn left in free agency, and while there is hope that the team will get something from Randy Gregory and/or Aldon Smith, the reality is that opposite of DeMarcus Lawrence right now there is a question mark at best.

It is for this reason that many believe the Cowboys could go with an EDGE player with their first-round selection. LSU’s K’Lavon Chaisson is a name that many have associated with Dallas, but ESPN tossed out Penn State’s Yetur Gross-Matos on Sunday morning.

This also isn’t a deep pass-rusher class for undeniable first-round talent, but teams always need them. That could spark a late first-round run. The Dallas Cowboys have done a ton of recon work on Penn State edge rusher Yetur Gross-Matos, so if they move back from the No. 17 overall pick, perhaps they parlay added capital into Gross-Matos and someone else.

The Cowboys doing recon work shouldn’t exactly be breaking news. If the Cowboys aren’t doing a ton of recon work on draft prospects then there is a larger problem at hand.

Gross-Matos has seen his name pick up a little bit of steam as the draft has begun to approach. He is seen as someone who can go late in the first round, so perhaps the Cowboys want to grab some extra draft capital and still land someone that can help them. During an SB Nation mock draft this past week he went to the Tennessee Titans at 29th overall.

Analysis: A pass rusher, or someone who blocks pass rushers? That’s the decision the Titans will have to make in the first round this year. In our mock draft, there are several good offensive tackles available who can replace the departed Jack Conklin on the right side. Veteran Dennis Kelly shouldn’t be relied on to be a full-time starter.

But if the choice is a pass rusher, Gross-Matos is a good one. In Tennessee’s defense, there would be situations where Beasley, Gross-Matos, and Landry would all be on the field at the same time. Good luck getting your quarterback enough time with that type of speed.

There are a number of ways the Cowboys can go with their first-round pick and EDGE is certainly one of them. Of course, they could also address cornerback or safety, but the idea of moving back is starting to feel like the best possible plan.

Continue reading...

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
I like Epenesa better. Not sure I like a player that has Gross in his name. lol He reminds me of Taco when I watch him. But, being honest, I only watched one video.