News: BTB: 2023 Cowboys rookie draft class given failing grade in NFL assessment

RS12

Reaction score
Second year is when players are supposed to make their biggest improvement. We should know pretty quick in the fall, for sure what these guys are. Right now we would like a do over for a lot of them.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In terms of immediate impact players this draft was a fail. But I think they knew none of these guys were immediate impact players. We thought Mazi might be in some limited role at a 1tech but then they had him drop 30lbs and play the 3tech. Knowing he had zero or less than zero technique from the start this put him at a huge disadvantage. Their individual growth this offseason will be extremely telling.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
They’ve moved on from the zimmer bash to this. It’ll change in a few weeks when free agency begins
Rightfully so on all of it.

28 years and counting.

2023 draft stunk. Not one good player.

2024 Off season has many of our supposed leaders acting likes clowns in the clown show.

2024 coaching hires have been nothing but comfortable hires from the Cowboys 5-11 era over 20 years ago.

Jerry tells us this is going all in.

Yeah, the Cowboys deserve the benefit of the doubt, lol.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t expect them to nail every draft…no team does, and the system is set up against you when you have some success. You pick late.

That’s why you have to take advantage within a certain time frame and add the pieces you need to win before you have to pay too many of them, or can’t easily replace them with draft picks, but that’s yet another thing they don’t appear to understand.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This was a depth draft IE role players they weren't for the now I believe the front office made a little bit of a mistake , instead of taking the best player available because we had a 12 win team back-to-back seasons it had didn't have a whole lot of big holes to fill they basically brought on players that were gonna develop and be good in the years to come and I believe they know that...

A bit of a misstep but Overshown hasn't seen the field and some of these other guys were pretty solid if you add in the undrafted free agents and I believe that Richards might have something I think deuce Vaughn with the right role IE coming in as a scat back if we get a big power back to be our number one much like Pollard was behind Zeke his first couple years that would be the perfect role for deuce Vaughn he wasn't utilized properly this year because he had no place he only brought to the team what Turpin and they utilized lamb and a lot of the same way with the stuff behind the line of scrimmage and then they had Pollard...DV can be KT IMHO so tin time he can get that job.

Some of these guys just couldn't get on the field. They were really brought in to be backups which yes I agree with a little bit of a misstep but they may develop there's at least three guys that'll probably be pretty good as far as just simply making small contributions to the team and maybe more I think Schoonmaker is better than people are reacting as if he was taken in the second round but he was one of the best blockers on the team he showed he can catch in traffic he's just not going to get the snaps because Ferguson is better but he had a clear role on this team and I think he's gonna get bigger with years to come and then again Overshown and Richards and deuce Vaughn in my opinion will find their way onto the field a lot more this year...

However, that said, they know by this mistep, they need to hit on everyone in this next draft the best way to do that is it trade up move around and try to get three really good players as opposed to five or six like we did last year is unnecessary they need to find day one starters in draft and even if it's only one or two free agents they need to be very mindful of who they're picking and what their roles gonna be day one...

kskboys

Reaction score
We are suffering mightily from Trysten Hill, Jaylon, Kelvin, and Schoonmaker. You just can't miss 2nd round picks over and over and over. Those should be major components of your team.

KC has 5 second round picks starting. We have 2. DLaw and Diggs. And how long has KC been picking late in each round?

75boyz

Reaction score
The article, supported by snapcounts and active gamedays, is absolutely accurate.
Every player expectation comment was spot on.

Huge fail.

kskboys

Reaction score
Second year is when players are supposed to make their biggest improvement. We should know pretty quick in the fall, for sure what these guys are. Right now we would like a do over for a lot of them.
KC's 2nd round pick this year, Rashee Rice(WR) went 79/938yds/7 TDs. Then caught 26 passes in the postseason. Including 6/39 in the super bowl.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry to say that in this case you don't have to wait two or three years to find out....it definitely was a fail no matter how you grade it. Yes, Overshown MAY turn out to be OK, but even if he does, what happened to the others?.. Mazi and Schoon really were big misses.....we didn't need to waste a pick on another TE, and Mazi has turned into Tristen Hill.

What a bad 2023 ...and you know, yeah, let's run it back.... :banghead:

Mr_437

Reaction score
KC's 2nd round pick this year, Rashee Rice(WR) went 79/938yds/7 TDs. Then caught 26 passes in the postseason. Including 6/39 in the super bowl.
Do you think Rice would be WR3 in Dallas?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Fair grade based off the minimal ROI. At this point I just squint to see if a player can be useful from this class.
Mazi - Zim n JZ effect please work wonders.
Schoon - Lunda effect, DAL TEs always get better.
Overshown - Better coaching + offseason peanut butter
Fehoko - same as Mazi
Asim - offseason PB and reps, doubt his coach
Scott Jr. - trade to DQ
Duece - try to be primary return man
Brooks - improve speed/track workout

UDFA - Bass, Aubrey and Stephens Jr. looking for these guys to be solid contributors.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In terms of immediate impact players this draft was a fail. But I think they knew none of these guys were immediate impact players. We thought Mazi might be in some limited role at a 1tech but then they had him drop 30lbs and play the 3tech. Knowing he had zero or less than zero technique from the start this put him at a huge disadvantage. Their individual growth this offseason will be extremely telling.
I think with Mazi we wanted him to be more than a 1-tech because he was a first-rounder, but hopefully, Zimmer won't devalue having a rock-solid 1-tech and will just try to turn him into that. It's hard for rookie DL to have a great impact, but Mazi definitely has some things to fix as far as anticipation of the snap before he can become solid at any position.

I'm glad that Jake Ferguson stepped up like many of us thought he could at No. 1 tight end, but that doesn't mean that Schoonmaker can't give us a top-notch No. 2. This year, he really wasn't any better than our other No. 2 options. I'm hoping he'll come on and be 1B to Ferguson's 1A.

Overshown's failure is just based on injury. He looked the most promising immediately of the rookies in camp and was all over the place making plays before his injury. Of course, a lot will depend on how much he is slowed coming off that injury.

We didn't get anything out of Fehoko, but we were trying to primarily make him an interior rusher. I wonder if Zimmer will focus him in on DE and put him in a rotation with Lawrence there.

I loved what we saw from Richards whenever we put him out there at left tackle. I don't know if he can be the future there, but his snaps were very promising. Outside of what we saw from Overshown, I think he showed the most potential.

I think expecting much from players drafted in the sixth round on is always foolish. These players aren't really any different than UDFAs. Scott and Brooks both showed some ability in camp. Scott's kind of faded in the preseason, though, and I don't know if Brooks will become more than a fourth receiver. Vaughn looked nifty in open space and swallowed up in close quarters. If he's going to have any success, it looks like it might have to come as a gadget back.

I like to include UDFAs among the draft class and Bass looks like he was a very good find, maybe even a starter-quality one ... so it's possibly that the OL will benefit the most from this class moving forward. Luepke also seems like he's a decent fullback option who could develop into an even better one. I also like what we were seeing from the converted WR John Stephens at TE before he got hurt.

I know that Aubrey wasn't a UDFA, but it is nice to have found a young kicker who may fill that position for years to come.

Brax

Reaction score
NFL.com had a D+ here’s the last few years judge for yourselves the drafting prowess of JJ and company.

2023​

• Mazi Smith | Round 1, Pick 26
    DT, Michigan
  • Luke Schoonmaker | Round 2, Pick 58
    TE, Michigan
  • DeMarvion Overshown | Round 3, Pick 90
    LB, Texas
  • Viliami Fehoko | Round 4, Pick 129
    DL, San Jose State
  • Asim Richards | Round 5, Pick 169
    OL, North Carolina
  • Eric Scott | Round 6, Pick 178