News: BTB: After news of his arrest, is Terrance Williams’ job at risk with the Cowboys?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10485217.0.jpg

The team reloaded their wide receiving group this offseason and that leaves very little margin of error for those hoping to make the team.

It hasn’t been your typical offseason for the Cowboys wide receiver group. In fact, it’s been quite the opposite as it’s almost been sitcom-ish when you think about all the things that have transpired. Let’s recap what’s happened so far...

Dez Bryant - released.

Cole Beasley’s rap album - released.

Ryan Switzer - traded.

Brice Butler - left in free agency.

Terrance Williams - arrested after crashing up his Lamborghini.

There has been no shortage of excitement with this group. Thankfully, the Cowboys have been busy revamping their wide receivers in a multitude of ways. First, they addressed the position in free agency, signing both Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson. Then, they drafted a couple youngsters in Michael Gallup and Cedrick Wilson last month. And they even traded for Tavon Austin as well.

With three receivers departing, and five new players arriving that leaves the Cowboys sitting with eight possible candidates to make the roster if you include second-year player Noah Brown. And although it’s quite a long-shot, we can’t rule out dark horses like K.D. Cannon, Malik Earl, and Lance Lenoir. The point is, things are crowded and the competition is fierce. Nothing is guaranteed and with the latest slip up by Terrance Williams, even his job is not safe.

Financially speaking, it wouldn’t make sense for the Cowboys to cut Williams. Last offseason, Williams signed a four-year, $17 million deal. According to spotrac, here are the details of that contract:

Image_21.png

Williams signed a team-friendly deal last year, but part of what made that deal so agreeable was that the team guaranteed $9.5 million, which included his base salary in 2018. As you can see from the red circle, the Cowboys would endure a pricey dead money hit if they chose to release him compared to what it would cost to keep him on the roster (blue circle). Next season, however, the team can save $2.25 million in cap space by cutting him loose and absorbing a much smaller deal money hit (green circle). This would seem like the most obvious path for the veteran receiver barring some great rebound season this year.

Because of the financial implications, Williams looks like a lock to make the roster. There is no overall financial gain in releasing him and it’s actually cheaper on the books this season to keep him. But this is the same type of logic that made many of us think Cedric Thornton wasn’t going anywhere last year, yet we were caught off guard when the Cowboys released him. Like Williams, Thornton also had a base salary that was guaranteed so the team gained nothing financially by cutting him. They went ahead and took on a $6 million dead money cap hit.

The Cowboys decision to release Thornton had more to do with roster space and the other options they had at defensive tackle. Unfortunately, the team saw starting DT Stephen Paea retire unexpectedly and his backup Brian Price suffer a season-ending injury shortly thereafter. I’m not sure what the team saw in Thornton, but it seemed like his services could have been used in Dallas. Thornton signed on with the Buffalo Bills and played on 35% of their snap counts last season.

Williams will face a similar ordeal. His contract gives him an edge, but ultimately he’s got to be better than the best bubble guy at the position. New draftee Cedrick Wilson is a late-round pick, but his skill-set is intriguing and his contract would be easy on the salary cap for the next four years. Noah Brown already proved he was worthy of a roster spot last year and is looking to stay on the team. He’s also cheap, can block well, and is a valuable contributor on special teams. And let’s not write off Deonte Thompson. He has 4.3 speed and can be a nice deep threat option for the offense.

Williams’ first setback occurred in April when he broke his foot. The time he will miss will open up opportunities for other players. Should one of them take advantage of this opportunity, it could put Williams future in jeopardy in Dallas. But not only does Williams have to fend off these other receivers, there could be other players coming for his job as well. The Cowboys don’t have to go six deep at WR like they did last year. Most people just assume that will happen because of how much talent is there, but what if Dallas needs that roster spot for another position? You could make a case that there are several different players competing with Williams to make the roster.

One of the positives about Williams has been his character. For all the things he’s done wrong on the football field, the coaching staff loves the way he approaches the game and the sacrifices he makes for the greater good of the team. His arrest is just the first off-field mistake he’s made in his career and there is nothing about him that gives the team reason to think this could become a pattern. But Williams’ biggest concern is all the competition this team has created all over the roster.

TDub’s contract still gives him an edge, but as we saw last season - money doesn’t save you a seat in Dallas. Maybe all these incidents will cause him to play with a little more fire and come out scratching and clawing to keep his job. One thing is certain, he better bring his best stuff because there are some talented young players just waiting to step up and wear the star.

Continue reading...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
His arrest was for public intoxication. These days that's viewed as a disease (possible alcoholism), not a character issue. So likely with no prior problems he'll not get anything but a fine, if that. More probably if he goes to treatment nothing will be done to him.

His release, if it should happen, would be due to his lack of physical ability, not due to his arrest. And as noted above, with Dez and Witten gone, his rapport with Dak is magnified. Beasley is the slot receiver, not thought of as someone who would be the leader of the receiving corps.

Add his dead cap hit, and barring the foot not healing, and he's going to be on the team.

As a side note, I saw the Cowboys overtime loss to GB on television, and it was sort of funny to see what happened to allow Dallas to get tied. With only a minute or so left, first there was a 13 yard pass for a first down, a 10 yard pass for a first down, and a 7 yard pass to get to field goal range, including having sense to get out of bounds. Guess who got those passes? Williams, Witten and Beasley.

All 3 guys who many here wanted gone last year. Well you got your wish on two of them now, let's just see if the new guys can do that...

LittleD

Reaction score
This guy is not a big difference maker and never has. He's now not worth the trouble and the content of his
character is at dead center now. What responsible person walks away from a wreck because he is
completely intoxicated. Just because some personal issues are glossed over by society does not make it right and
certainly is taken seriously in the general workplace. You can be canned for any reason by any company. I hope
Jerry makes an example of this loser.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This guy is not a big difference maker and never has. He's now not worth the trouble and the content of his
character is at dead center now. What responsible person walks away from a wreck because he is
completely intoxicated. Just because some personal issues are glossed over by society does not make it right and
certainly is taken seriously in the general workplace. You can be canned for any reason by any company. I hope
Jerry makes an example of this loser.

No he's not been a big difference maker. Has made a few key plays, though, and his production has been very consistent year to year, not including last year, but everybody had a down year last year. And his dead cap is pretty severe, especially with Dez's added in.

And "personal issues are glossed over" is incorrect, intoxication used to be funny years ago (see Foster Brooks, comedian), but as I said, if alcoholism is found, it's treated as a disease, and the person is expected to get treatment, counseling, etc. To me that's not "glossing over" his actions.

Which by the way have not been adjudicated as yet, wouldn't be the first time law enforcement has jumped the gun on incidents. Not common, but we all were aggravated that Zeke got suspended with no court conviction, have to treat Williams the same way until, and if, he's convicted or pleads guilty.

We will have to see what transpires.

And he's a "loser"? When has he ever been in trouble otherwise? On the field or off? None I know of.

Just because somebody has a drinking problem (if he does, I drove drunk many times years ago, but was never an alcoholic, gave up drinking a long time ago, just didn't get much out of it) doesn't make someone a "loser"...

LittleD

Reaction score
No he's not been a big difference maker. Has made a few key plays, though, and his production has been very consistent year to year, not including last year, but everybody had a down year last year. And his dead cap is pretty severe, especially with Dez's added in.

And "personal issues are glossed over" is incorrect, intoxication used to be funny years ago (see Foster Brooks, comedian), but as I said, if alcoholism is found, it's treated as a disease, and the person is expected to get treatment, counseling, etc. To me that's not "glossing over" his actions.

Which by the way have not been adjudicated as yet, wouldn't be the first time law enforcement has jumped the gun on incidents. Not common, but we all were aggravated that Zeke got suspended with no court conviction, have to treat Williams the same way until, and if, he's convicted or pleads guilty.

We will have to see what transpires.

And he's a "loser"? When has he ever been in trouble otherwise? On the field or off? None I know of.

Just because somebody has a drinking problem (if he does, I drove drunk many times years ago, but was never an alcoholic, gave up drinking a long time ago, just didn't get much out of it) doesn't make someone a "loser"...

He has this cap hit because of another miss-evaluation by the FO. They just keep making these errors and have to pay the piper on the cap. As far as the money, it's a blip on Jerry's
billion dollar computer monitor. Cut him now and just let the young guys fight it out to play in the NFL.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He has this cap hit because of another miss-evaluation by the FO. They just keep making these errors and have to pay the piper on the cap. As far as the money, it's a blip on Jerry's
billion dollar computer monitor. Cut him now and just let the young guys fight it out to play in the NFL.

That's up to Jerry, et al.

Imo if he is able to physically play he'll be on the 53 man roster come September. If I"m wrong I'll have no problem saying so...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dez Bryant - released.

Ryan Switzer - traded.

Brice Butler - left in free agency.

Jason Witten - retired.

If Williams is released essentially there would be an entire new receiving corps, except for Beasley. For a 2 year quarterback still learning the NFL, I don't see Williams being let go because of the arrest.

Just my opinion...

Roland

Reaction score
His arrest was for public intoxication. These days that's viewed as a disease (possible alcoholism), not a character issue. So likely with no prior problems he'll not get anything but a fine, if that. More probably if he goes to treatment nothing will be done to him.

His release, if it should happen, would be due to his lack of physical ability, not due to his arrest. And as noted above, with Dez and Witten gone, his rapport with Dak is magnified. Beasley is the slot receiver, not thought of as someone who would be the leader of the receiving corps.

Add his dead cap hit, and barring the foot not healing, and he's going to be on the team.

As a side note, I saw the Cowboys overtime loss to GB on television, and it was sort of funny to see what happened to allow Dallas to get tied. With only a minute or so left, first there was a 13 yard pass for a first down, a 10 yard pass for a first down, and a 7 yard pass to get to field goal range, including having sense to get out of bounds. Guess who got those passes? Williams, Witten and Beasley.

All 3 guys who many here wanted gone last year. Well you got your wish on two of them now, let's just see if the new guys can do that...
Spot on LA. Wit and Dez gone. Beaz contract is up next year. Williams hurt and now this. Going to be interesting how this plays out this season and going forth. We can only hope that these changes will be a positive instead of a negative. (thou I expect some growing pains)