BTB:Cowboys 2012 Draft: PFW's Draft Value Chart Suggests Dallas' Strategy?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...trategy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
by rabblerousr on Apr 9, 2012 7:00 PM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2012 Draft
As I confessed during last year's lead-up to the draft, I arm myself for the Annual Selection Meeting with a full array of draft books supplemented by by two special printouts. One of these is Rick Gosselin's list of the top 100 players, which is traditionally released the day before the draft. The other is Pro Football Weekly's "draft value chart." This chart rather handily divvies up the potential draftees according to tiers. In previous posts, I have sought to underscore the importance of thinking about the draft in terms of tiers, particularly when considering draft trades. Its one thing to pick up another team's third rounder - but which players, and at what positions, might be available at that pick?

Late last week, PFW released their 2012 draft value chart. The matrix they employ is fairly simple: they divide each round into three tiers, and slot players according to these subdivisions. So, the top ten players in the draft fall into tier "1A"; the next eleven comprise tier "1B," the next eleven are "1C," and so on. A look at their tiers is instructive, particularly as it pertains to the players that Dallas has expressed interest in thus far. Here's where Dallas' players of interest (invitees to Valley Ranch last week; guys whose pro days the Cowboys attended, etc) rank according to the chart (I have eliminated tiers that don't contain one of the players in question):

Lets take a look at what we can learn from the tiers after the jump..
1A
Fletcher Cox (3-4 DE)
1B
Cordy Glenn (OT-OG)
David DeCastro (OG)
Dontari Poe (3-4 DE-DT)
Michael Brockers (3-4 DE)
Courtney Upshaw (3-4 OLB)
Mark Barron (SS)
Stephon Gilmore (CB)