News: BTB: Cowboys 2013 Salary Cap: The Ratliff Extension And The Post-Release Landscape

cowboysooner

Reaction score
No, Stephen isn't good with the cap.
Not under this CBA.
He is using the previous CBA's methodology and it is dated and failing.

The two teams using it are the Cowboys and Steelers. Look at the state of those cap situations for why it is a bad idea.

And Spencer counts zero on next year's cap right now. As does Jason Hatcher or any other free agent.

We will clear the cap space pretty easily.

FILLING the empty roster spots with able bodies is another thing.

I'll agree that we are not using the currnet CBA to our advantage but that is a function of the negotiation itself, the Mara penaltly, the state of the team post deal and trying to win in 2009 and 2010.

If you look at the low payroll teams from 2009 and 2010 like the Bucs, Chiefs, Browns, Bengals, Jags, Broncos etc. they are all in great cap shape and/or have signed big free agents on pay as you go deals.

The NFL sent many edicts of don't cut your troubled contracts and clear space during the uncapped year. We will come after the dead money and lower your initial cap levels. We didn't cut people. The NFL said did and nothing to the teams that got rid of their high priced vets because that would have complicated the final stages of negotiations.

After cutting Newman and the thirty year old olinemen, we were left immediately with about $25 million in dead money and a $10 million Mara hit and we had to continue to restructure Ware and Romo just to be cap compliant.

Considering the disaster of 2010 and the way negotiation went it would have been great to start fresh and cut Newman, Davis etc. during or at the end of the year, but the $35 million dollar hole is and was real and the rollover provisions will continue to put us at a disadvantage.

Browns 2015 Superbowl Champs!

burmafrd

Reaction score
until THEOGT does his magic I am skeptical of both the pollyannas and the doomsayers.

RS12

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct but:
1. Fans largely are gullible shills that by now welcome any reason to belch Jerry Jones name.
2. The news cycle has zero incentive to paint this in a realistic light. Much better to blast Jerry and Jay then to point out the reality of the situation.

LOL! Give me one logic reason to give Ratliff that extension two years before necessary and with him approaching 30? Just one, any logical reason? Thats what I thought.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Ratliff get a LOT of money. More money than Danny DeVito half. Raliff do not play. Any way you cut the mustard and the cheese samwich, we lose. He win.

Bad deal. Bad owner.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It comes to $145.099M, actually.

And there are 46 players under contract for 2014, not 56.

The team will need to restructure several contracts next off-season. Tony Romo and Demarcus Ware will create $19M in room. Sean Lee, Brandon Carr and Jason Witten can create another $12M.

These five restructures would drop the estimated 2014 cap number to $114.099M.

If Miles Austin is designated as a June release, that will add another $5.5M when it takes effect (June).

The current unadjusted cap is $123M, it will probably go up a couple of million in 2014 and the team will carry over any unused space from this season as well (it won't be much, though).

I know some fans really start biting their nails when the topic of pushing more guaranteed money into future years with new signing bonuses comes up, but that's what's on the menu for 2014.

Doing this would add just over $8M per season to future caps in 2015-18.

That's OK.

The team won't need to restructure bunches of contracts in 2015, Romo is the only one I'm expecting (create $10.3M).

Overthecap includes Doug Free ($11.02M) in its projection.

Free's renegotiated contract will void following the conclusion of the 2014, so he will count $3.98M in dead money in 2015 instead of the $11.02M that overthecap shows. That will save $7.04M, Austin will save $4.531M and Bernadeau will save $3.25M.

Right now, the '15 cap commitment is $124.693M. I'm adding $8M for the contract restructures I did in '14.

That brings it up to $132.693M.

Romo's contract will be restructured again (create $10.3M) to go along with the room saved on Free, Austin and Bernadeau ($14.821M), bringing the '15 cap number down to $107.572M.

I know some big extensions are coming, but that's still a good bit of wiggle room.

Remember, the team usually designs new deals to count less in the early years to help with the cap. Dez and company shouldn't take up a lot of cap space until many of the current big money deals are off the books.

The team can almost always find a way to get a deal done, but Jason Hatcher might need to take a home team discount if he wants to finish his career in Big D.

Demarcus Ware would really have to struggle with injuries all season before he would be asked to take a pay cut, IMO.

I expect his deal will be restructured, again, in 2014.

The BTB writer, KD Drummond, is dead wrong about Ware never having his deal restructured.

It's a yearly occurrence.

Ware's deal was been redone in 2011, '12 and '13, the last time it wasn't fiddled with was 2010, the uncapped season.

It isn't an issue with me because Ware has ginormous base salaries every year.

That means the team can create $13M or more by designating Ware as a June release in '15 or '16, should the need arise.

I'm a huge Miles Austin fan, but he needs to start producing big time if he wants to remain a Cowboy next season, IMO.

The team can create $5.5M in cap room by designating Smiles as a June release in 2014. Given his injuries, future cap numbers and the current play of rookie Terrance Williams, soph Cole Beasley and 3rd yr Dwayne Harris, it screams to turn the page on Austin next year.

Williams will be 25 next year, so there's every reason to let him become a starter ASAP. He should be competing with Austin for snaps right now.

Jason Garrett has always wanted a veteran back-up quarterback, so I'm leaving Kyle Orton alone.

I'm keeping Jermey Parnell, he's the swing tackle until Darrion Weems or someone else comes along and dethrones him.

Phil Costa and Justin Durant will save $2.75M in '14, which would drop the cap commitment next year to $111.349 along with the restructures discussed at the top of the post.

Mackenzy Bernadeau makes for a better game day reserve than Costa, so I'd give him the chance to take a pay cut and remain part of the team in 2014.

Berny has a $2.75M base salary next year. I'd offer $1.25M, a reduction of $1.5M (which is what Costa is set to make). I'd say take the pay cut and Costa is gone instead of you.

That would bring the '14 cap down to $109.849M (not counting Austin's $5.5M, which would come in June).

Romo's deal is designed to be restructured in '14 and '15, and I expect it to happen barring career ending injury.

The team would want to until 2017 (save $3.3M or $14M in June) to cut Romo, but it could be done as soon as 2016 using the June tag (recoup $8.5M but eat $19.6M in '17).

If B.W. Webb is legit, Orlando Scandrick could face the axe in '15 (save $3.498M or $5m in June). The team shouldn't need to cut Scan, cap room should be fine, it would simply come down to Webb pushing him out the door.

Free's contract will void following the '14 season.

Brandon Carr will be fine unless his play falls off drastically.

The same goes for Senator Witten.

Awesome post.

It's doubtful that the sky-is-falling crowd will understand or believe you, but I appreciate the work.

Kaiser

Reaction score
. Why would they release Parnell? They have put multiple years into making him a good and reasonably priced player.

Funny, that is the first thing that jumped off the page for me. Even as a swing tackle, Parnell isn't overpaid. I think the guy writing that article forgets he did OK in a spot start at LT last year, something not a lot of veteran swing tackles would do.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny, that is the first thing that jumped off the page for me. Even as a swing tackle, Parnell isn't overpaid. I think the guy writing that article forgets he did OK in a spot start at LT last year, something not a lot of veteran swing tackles would do.
Ageee. I would be trying to extend his contract, not thinking about cutting him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
LOL! Give me one logic reason to give Ratliff that extension two years before necessary and with him approaching 30? Just one, any logical reason? Thats what I thought.

It was a bad decision and turned out very badly, but there were reasons -

1) Rat was a team leader that had been totally underpaid for four straight Pro Bowl seasons

2) His agent may very well have held him out if he stayed as badly underpaid as he was.

3) Jerry wants to be known an owner that takes care of his own, which works to the team's advantage when it wants to resign players like Romo, Sean Lee, etc.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

There were plenty of good reasons. He outplayed his 2007 contract and was being rewarded for it. He was a mainstay of our DL and locking him up for a few more years without going through the "Franchise" process is very reasonable. You don't have to treat everybody as a commodity.

And you are obviously ignoring the part of the article that explains that it wasn't a lot of new money added. In fact the Cowboys had the option of keeping him for 5 more seasons for ONLY 6m more in guaranteed salary cap charges. The worst case scenario happened and it's still not that bad. Injuries happen in the NFL and not just to players approaching 30.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yup, we are going to create a whole new tranche of guaranteed money to pay for the tranche of guaranteed / dead money we created this year. It is interesting that they have never restructured Ware, that could be meaningful next year, if he can't regain his health.

They have restructured Ware for years; including this year.
We really can't cut him next year even if we wanted to.
He'd be at 8.5m in dead money.
--Instead we'll hand him 12m or so in restructure bonus. (and probably add a year to his deal to thin it even more).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-ware/
http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=DeMarcus Ware&Position=34OLB&Team=Cowboys

Dallas has to hope for one of those big cap increase seasons soon.

OR they'll have to eat some big contracts at once and take a rebuilding year or 5.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They have restructured Ware for years; including this year.
We really can't cut him next year even if we wanted to.
He'd be at 8.5m in dead money.
--Instead we'll hand him 12m or so in restructure bonus. (and probably add a year to his deal to thin it even more).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-ware/
http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=DeMarcus Ware&Position=34OLB&Team=Cowboys

Dallas has to hope for one of those big cap increase seasons soon.

OR they'll have to eat some big contracts at once and take a rebuilding year or 5.

Ware's cap number is 16m next year. If they cut him they would save 7.5m on the cap, even more if he was a post June 1st cut. You can't cut guys when their dead money is more than their cap hit. Ware is very cutable or tradable.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That isn't going to happen.

Just pointing out that his contract has been mostly paid. If they had to cut or trade him, it would save a lot of cap space. The only players not cutable are Romo, Carr, Claiborne, Lee and maybe Scandrick and Witten.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Ware's cap number is 16m next year. If they cut him they would save 7.5m on the cap, even more if he was a post June 1st cut. You can't cut guys when their dead money is more than their cap hit. Ware is very cutable or tradable.

Doubtful anyone would trade for him. That contract is too high for a guy who's missing time as frequently as he is.

As far as cut, it'd be a damn shame to have to cut a guy simple because management has restructured his contract into a ridiculously overpriced burden.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Yup, we are going to create a whole new tranche of guaranteed money to pay for the tranche of guaranteed / dead money we created this year. It is interesting that they have never restructured Ware, that could be meaningful next year, if he can't regain his health.

Pretty sure they restructured him in 2011, 2012, and 2013.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
3. Why would they release Parnell? They have put multiple years into making him a good and reasonably priced player.
Because to be honest, he's not a good player and that makes the "reasonable price" idea not so good.

He was supposed to push Free and make a competition out of the RT. He failed.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Parnell is the only other T on the roster that can be trusted to play. It's a stretch for me to think Weems can play solidly.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Doubtful anyone would trade for him. That contract is too high for a guy who's missing time as frequently as he is.

As far as cut, it'd be a damn shame to have to cut a guy simple because management has restructured his contract into a ridiculously overpriced burden.

That's not at all what I'm saying. Ware has big money coming, commensurate with his ability, but his signing bonus money has been mostly accounted for. The Cowboys are in a great position with Ware. If he is still producing, they have him under contract for multiple years. They also have the ability to turn his base salary into a signing bonus and create a lot of salary cap space. If he gets to a point where his play has declined, they can cut him and save big money on the cap with little or no dead money.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No, Stephen isn't good with the cap.
Not under this CBA.
He is using the previous CBA's methodology and it is dated and failing.

The two teams using it are the Cowboys and Steelers. Look at the state of those cap situations for why it is a bad idea.

And Spencer counts zero on next year's cap right now. As does Jason Hatcher or any other free agent.

We will clear the cap space pretty easily.

FILLING the empty roster spots with able bodies is another thing.

What tangible difference is there in the accounting?