News: BTB: Cowboys 2016 Draft Target: Emmanuel Ogbah

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa-today-8065609.0.jpg

The Cowboys could use a top collegiate edge rusher, but it doesn’t have come from the OSU player everyone expects.

If you love Joey Bosa, then you probably see him as the one elite pass rusher in this draft that can help the Cowboys defensive line. If you're not too high on him, then maybe you feel that there aren't any blue-chip defensive end choices that can be a star in this league. But I wouldn't go that far. There are a few other DEs that can be impact playmakers along the edge. Emmanuel Ogbah is one of those players.

Need for speed

If you want to play for Rod Marinelli, you better be quick. Ogbah had a 40 time of 4.63 at the combine (93 percentile) and is fast off the ball for a guy his size.

He sheds

The 6'4" height isn't anything exceptional when it comes to defensive linemen, but he's got some long arms. At 35 ½ inches (95 percentile) he uses that length to disengage blocks well. He uses his hands very effectively, swatting away the hands of his blockers.

Relentless

He's a QB destroyer. He exhibits the combination of speed and power to violently chase down quarterbacks. He keeps fighting to sustain unrelenting pursuit.

Here's the complete spider chart for all his measurable:

He's productive

Last year, Ogbah had 64 tackles, with 17.5 of them for losses. He also had 13 sacks and three forced fumbles. But his 2015 season wasn't just a one-season phenomenon as he has been a consistent force all three years at OSU. As a sophomore in 2014, he also had 49 tackles (17 for losses), 11 sacks, and a forced fumble. He also batted down five passes.

Athletic players are great, but when you get one who's had a prolific college career, then that's even better. The Cool One has been breaking down positions and for defensive end, Ogbah falls into A gradient. Make no mistake about it - he's exciting to watch on film.

Ogbah was initially my favorite target for the Cowboys second round pick at the 34 spot. That seems unrealistic now. He had a great combine and has gone from a first round fringe prospect to a mid-first round selection. That speaks to Ogbah's talent, but doesn't bode well for the Cowboys. If the team wants to get the Oklahoma State Cowboy on their team they might have to do some finagling to get to a more optimum draft position.

A couple years ago it was Aaron Donald that went from a late first round prospect to being taken 13th overall in the draft. He's been a Pro Bowler in both of his NFL seasons. Ogbah could be that player in this draft.

Continue reading...

jnday

Reaction score
Put this in the Fan Zone because I think he could be a target in a trade up from the 2nd round. Just pure speculation on my part with nothing factual to back it up. Maybe it's just wishful thinking and hoping.

I don't know much about him, but he sure sounds good.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I've personally really wanted Ogbah on our team for awhile now, But I figured due to our draft position that he was out the question. He may be a little raw, but he finishes strong. The guy has great length, prototypical size, and seems hungry to prove he's a player. All reports/articles I've read states that he's a leader and can change the attitude of a defense with his play. I really like the guy and truly think he'll end up being the 'steal' of the draft. He's projected to be a mid-first round player. That's exactly where we found Demarcus. I'm not comparing the two, but I believe he could be a force like Ware was. I really hope he's in play in a trade down scenario or a trade up. Either way, this team needs more DE's and he is exactly what the doctor ordered.

side note: Dallas like OSU players, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that continues

tm1119

Reaction score
Very stiff. Straight line player with no real counter rush moves. Good player who is fast and strong, but I don't see him as anything special enough to trade up for.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Very stiff. Straight line player with no real counter rush moves. Good player who is fast and strong, but I don't see him as anything special enough to trade up for.

How he translates to the NFL is yet to be seen. On the other hand, the lack of true 4-3 De's with speed in this draft makes him a trade up candidate.

tm1119

Reaction score
How he translates to the NFL is yet to be seen. On the other hand, the lack of true 4-3 De's with speed in this draft makes him a trade up candidate.

We have Lawrence, Gregory, and Mayowa as speed rushers, we need a good SDE who can also rush the passer. Ogbah fits that bill, but so do a few other guys. Besides, speed rushing isn't exactly Ogbah's game anyway. He ran a surprisingly fast 40, but he's not a guy who can dip and bend the corner on a consistent basis.

If we are trading up for a DE Ogbah would be behind Lawson, Dodd, and Spence for me. And Nassib isn't far behind Ogbah, if at all.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

I was hoping he'd fall to 20ish and we'd trade back up if possible. QB R1-4 and trade up into the bottom half of R1 for him. I've been looking at him for awhile but didn't think there'd be a way to get the guy.