BTB: Cowboys' disappointing start to free agency is exactly on brand

Aven8

Reaction score
This article sums up Jerry and Stephen perfectly. If you were mad before, you will be feel even worse after reading. Enjoy.

Everything about this free agency period for the Cowboys was, unfortunately, predictable.
If you wanted a pithy quote to sum up how the start of free agency has gone for the Dallas Cowboys, let us suggest these words from David Byrne and the Talking Heads: “Same as it ever was.”

Fans are reacting with disappointment, frustration, and even anger. That is their right. But if you have been following the team over the past decade or so, this should not be at all unexpected. This is what the team has become. The approach they take is rigid and entrenched. If you want to try and apply logic or the kind of thinking that seems to be used by many other teams, including those that have experienced so much more success than Dallas has during the long, long drought for them, it simply won’t work.

This is not about what makes a successful football team. It is a story of how the franchise has evolved.

For those of us with a lot of grey in our hair or beards, we know that this was not always the way the team operated. During those early, glorious years, the Cowboys were daring and bold. They spent freely on big name free agents like Deion Sanders and Charles Haley and were rewarded with three Lombardi trophies in four years. It reflected how buying the team was a risky move itself. Jerry Jones was a brash upstart who came in, shook up the entire NFL, and gained tremendous influence through his work in helping negotiate the new broadcast deals early in his tenure as owner of the team. It ushered in the age of always growing revenue that has made the league the biggest entertainment business in the world.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-start-free-agency-normal-stephen-jerry-jones

Sydla

Reaction score
In a nutshell, it's why they fail year after year. And it will only continue as Stephen continues on long past his father.

I have little faith that the Cowboys will win a SB in the next decade. Stephen (and Jerry) are incapable of building a championship level team because they are stubborn, arrogant and frankly ignorant to their own flaws in thinking.

Aven8

Reaction score
In a nutshell, it's why they fail year after year. And it will only continue as Stephen continues on long past his father.

I have little faith that the Cowboys will win a SB in the next decade. Stephen (and Jerry) are incapable of building a championship level team because they are stubborn, arrogant and frankly ignorant to their own flaws in thinking.
Jerry and Stephen are good cop and bad cop. And unfortunately for us fans, the bad cop will be with us for the foreseeable future…..

Jipper

Reaction score
On the contrary, I like the fact they are jettisoning old and over paid players…just keep doing it. Do not resign dak and if possible to get an amazing trade value for someone like micha or cedee then do it….build around young core, draft well and trade back if possible, rebuild and use 2024 to set up for 2025

I am over the reg season champs and playoff craps….do something different which this might be…or they might just half *** it resign dak and make it even worse

Sydla

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen are good cop and bad cop. And unfortunately for us fans, the bad cop will be with us for the foreseeable future…..
It's just flabbergasting to me that you can come off that Packers embarrassment, see you have issues at RB, OL, DT, LB and even WR and you literally do nothing in FA to try to alleviate some of those issues other than signing on veteran LB who was cheap and wanted to play with Zimmer. That's it. That's all you did to get better. You have taken no pressure off yourself via the draft. You've given yourself no flexibility in the draft. You need specific positional players in the draft and that often results in forcing picks like we saw with Mazi and then Schoonmaker.

They just don't get it. And the only people who suffer are the fans. Jerry and his dope of son cash their billions all the while thumbing it to the fans who, frankly, seemingly understand roster building better than they do.

Sydla

Reaction score
On the contrary, I like the fact they are jettisoning old and over paid players…just keep doing it. Do not resign dak and if possible to get an amazing trade value for someone like micha or cedee then do it….build around young core, draft well and trade back if possible, rebuild and use 2024 to set up for 2025

I am over the reg season champs and playoff craps….do something different which this might be…or they might just half *** it resign dak and make it even worse
LOL at thinking this is what they doing. If they were really building to 2025, they'd have done way more than they have. The Dak issue would be resolved. They'd have moved other players.

Aven8

Reaction score
It's just flabbergasting to me that you can come off that Packers embarrassment, see you have issues at RB, OL, DT, LB and even WR and you literally do nothing in FA to try to alleviate some of those issues other than signing on veteran LB who was cheap and wanted to play with Zimmer. That's it. That's all you did to get better. You have taken no pressure off yourself via the draft. You've given yourself no flexibility in the draft. You need specific positional players in the draft and that often results in forcing picks like we saw with Mazi and then Schoonmaker.

They just don't get it. And the only people who suffer are the fans. Jerry and his dope of son cash their billions all the while thumbing it to the fans who, frankly, seemingly understand roster building better than they do.
SF lost in the SB and fired their DC three days later. Not for the SB game, but for the previous two games against GB and Detroit. Why? Because they weren’t good enough. Fast forward to FA and they made strategic moves to improve that Defense, with DE’s, Corners, and LB’s.

What do we do? Absolutely nothing.

The smart move if you’re not going all in is to get rid of Dak. Trade him. Sell him off for picks. I mean why keep him if you’re not going to add pieces to build on last season to win it all?

Jipper

Reaction score
LOL at thinking this is what they doing. If they were really building to 2025, they'd have done way more than they have. The Dak issue would be resolved. They'd have moved other players.
You can laugh all you want but directionally the moves indicate this could be the thought process. It could also indicate they are morons which I also acknowledged

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
SF lost in the SB and fired their DC three days later. Not for the SB game, but for the previous two games against GB and Detroit. Why? Because they weren’t good enough. Fast forward to FA and they made strategic moves to improve that Defense, with DE’s, Corners, and LB’s.

The smart move if you’re not going all in is to get rid of Dak. Trade him. Sell him off for picks. I mean why keep him if you’re not going to add pieces to build on last season to win it all?
Jersey sales.

Sydla

Reaction score

Exactly. If the plan wasn't to try to improve in 2024 then they should have used this time to start over - new coach, move on from the QB, etc.

Instead, the plan seems to be let Prescott play out his deal, run out what will likely be a less talented team in 2024 and then who knows what the hell is beyond that.

Carson

Reaction score
Is it asking too much to spend 8-12 million on 3-4 free agents?

Aven8

Reaction score
Exactly. If the plan wasn't to try to improve in 2024 then they should have used this time to start over - new coach, move on from the QB, etc.

Instead, the plan seems to be let Prescott play out his deal, run out what will likely be a less talented team in 2024 and then who knows what the hell is beyond that.
How can the even improve now? We have no money except for what’s left for our rookie pool. We got there by cutting MG and LVE.

If they let Dak play it out and he goes to FA than you either way overpay, 65 million by that time, or he’s gone to the highest bidder. Then you take his 39 million in dead cap next season with NO QB, and a horrible draft for QB’s.

Aven8

Reaction score
Is it asking too much to spend 8-12 million on 3-4 free agents?
They don’t have any money right now. By cutting MG and LVE they freed up enough to pay Kendrick’s, Lewis, and Goodwin. The rest is for the rookie pool.

Carson

Reaction score
They don’t have any money right now. By cutting MG and LVE they freed up enough to pay Kendrick’s, Lewis, and Goodwin. The rest is for the rookie pool.
You restricted Diggs

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
When you are playing 4D chess like the Jones' there is no way to tell what the plan, or expected results are.

rambo2

Reaction score
Getting Kendricks and Lewis were good moves. They still need to get a dtackle and a running back and hit in the draft on oline, and running back for sure and in other areas as well.

Carson

Reaction score
When you're paying a player 60$ million to go away next year, then yes, it's too much to ask for.
We get it man. We get your skit.

Why not just log off and come back in two years when they “rebuild”. I just don’t understand the constant negativity everyday, every post, every thread.

Football is just for fun. I don’t know why people stick around if it makes you miserable

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
We get it man. We get your skit.

Why not just log off and come back in two years when they “rebuild”. I just don’t understand the constant negativity everyday, every post, every thread.

Football is just for fun. I don’t know why people stick around if it makes you miserable
Miserable?!?!?

I'm happy as a lark at what is transpiring right now with the Cowboys.

They are finally, for once, doing something smart.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yall act like the Jonses are trying to win. Fact is they are not. Winning in the post season is not on the agenda. If building a stronger team was important to them they would have free'd up more money either by extending Dak already or using available accounting tricks to lower his current cap hit. They would as many suggest and hope for would then sign a few instant starters to bolster the DL, LB, RB, OL etc. None of this is part of their plan. They want the cap hits high so they can build in an excuse to be cheap and look at only the most desperate players wanting a contract. I don't believe even philly winning the division changes their approach, but maybe if the commanders also leap the boys and knock them out the playoffs will they become more aggressive.